Litepanels LP-Micro - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM   #31
Major Player

I measured mine to be 5310K. I am not sure what others are complaining about - but, I used mine for fill-in outdoors - it is fine.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Tom's Hardware has done a review...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...nd_camcorders/
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #33
Major Player

I am pretty disappointed at the article. You call that a review? They didn't even bother to measure the colour temperature accurately. I did ...

At full power - 5310K

At half power - 5180K

Still within bounds of the "standard" 5600K - daylight ...
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I didn't say it was a good review. ;)
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #35
Major Player

How can I fix the diffusion warming filter included?

Hi, I have just get the Litepanels LP-Micro and I have a orblem. I cannot use the
diffusion warming filter included because it always fall to the ground: I don't know how I could fix it. Any suggestions please?
thanks
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #36
Inner Circle

the attached filter holder has little tabs that hold the filters in place. You need to kind of thread it in from the top behind the tabs. Should hold just fine.
IF for some reason those tabs arn't there (they're small) you could use a piece of gaff tape to hold the filter on place OR return the light and have them send you a new one.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
the attached filter holder has little tabs that hold the filters in place. You need to kind of thread it in from the top behind the tabs. Should hold just fine.
Don
Yes but if I raise the small windos, the filter falls to the ground.
Is it normal?
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #38
Inner Circle

It would never be normal. They should have design the filter holder better. oh well, consider they already screw up the battery compartment. How likely is that.

THe diffusion filter is way too soft to stand on it's own. If you will use it on all the time, you might consider just taping it there.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
It would never be normal. They should have design the filter holder better. oh well, consider they already screw up the battery compartment. How likely is that.
Ok, I agree with you but I'd like to know if every Litepanels LP-Micro has this problem or if it is mine only.
thanks
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Ok, I agree with you but I'd like to know if every Litepanels LP-Micro has this problem or if it is mine only.
thanks
Mine has a mulfunction battery compartment that it pops out the battery on it's own. Already got a replacement.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Mine has a mulfunction battery compartment that it pops out the battery on it's own. Already got a replacement.
Me too . My battery compartment has the same problem. But I live in Italy and I have to spend much money to ship it. I think I will send it to seller.
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #42
Major Player

Sorry!
I think I will not send it to seller.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #43
Inner Circle

hmmm, with 1 in place (diffusion) the filter seems to stay in place fine although I do have a small piece of gaff tape on the top to secure just to make sure. Most times I have a 2nd filter in place as well but when I need to yank it out I don't want the diffusion filter flying out at the same time.
I have noticed the filter holder doesn't want to move more than about 90 degrees without the feeling that it's going to break so when I do move it, I stop it at 90. It's kind of like a hat. I too had the battery clip problem but used a little crazy glue on the contacts and that has taken care of the problem.
While I realize it is not the most expensive piece around I think for the money a little more thought into the design could have really made the difference.
Having said that I really do love the light. Small, lightweight and powerful enough to do what I need it to do.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
hmmm, with 1 in place (diffusion) the filter seems to stay in place fine although I do have a small piece of gaff tape on the top to secure just to make sure. Most times I have a 2nd filter in place as well but when I need to yank it out I don't want the diffusion filter flying out at the same time.
I have noticed the filter holder doesn't want to move more than about 90 degrees without the feeling that it's going to break so when I do move it, I stop it at 90. It's kind of like a hat. I too had the battery clip problem but used a little crazy glue on the contacts and that has taken care of the problem.
While I realize it is not the most expensive piece around I think for the money a little more thought into the design could have really made the difference.
Having said that I really do love the light. Small, lightweight and powerful enough to do what I need it to do.
Don
Gentleman:

If you read this thread as someone who has never checked out this light in person, one would get the distinct impression that this light is not a professional piece of equipment. Faulty filter holder, faulty battery compartment, battery compartment lid, etc.

FWIW, I checked out this light at FilmTools today. While the price is cheap and it throws a fine quality of light, this light is decidedly consumerish in build. Mounted on a hot shoe, one good whack to the light and it will break off it's plastic hot shoe mount. I was really excited to buy one and was planning on it today but after seeing it and playing with it in person, I will forgo buying one and will save further for a LitePanels DV or a VidLed. I have used both of those products and am satisfied that either of them meet the criteria needed by a professional, namely that the light will not fall apart in the middle of a shoot and the hot shoe mount will not easily break off with one errant whack against something.

Cool little light but I would have gladly paid $400.00 if it were built like it's larger LitePanel brethren. If you are running around shooting as a hobby, go for it, but this light is about as consumerish as you can get, sorry.

Sign me disappointed.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Dan
If it were built the same as the litepanel bretheren it wouldn't be $300.00

So as not to make anyone think I am not happy with the lite in general I am very happy. As I stated before there are a couple of little things I wish they had done differently but for the money it works just fine. As for the hotshoe breaking off with one good whack I beg to differ as it's already been whacked more than once and it held up just fine. The first production models of anything aren't always perfect and the price range they are going for well they have to make some changes somewhere. IE the plastic body and that type of thing.
As for using this light only for hobby work I again beg to differ. After using ABs and Bescors with wires hanging off me or my camera it's a pleasure to work with a wireless light and frankly the last time I looked I was anything but a hobbist and honestly I really don't care if it looks consumerish. I'm not in it for looks.
Personally I am satisfied overall with the product as are the 3 other guys I know personally who have and used it professionally.
However after all is said and done obviously you are not satisfied with the quality of the light and are not going to purchase one to which I say, to each his own.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management