DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 21st, 2003, 03:32 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rob,

Can't stand to see someone get completely ignored. Yes, Lowel does sell one. You can find it here.
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM   #17
Trustee

Cheap Dimmers

Andrew,

I also did the Home Depot search and went to many other lighting specialty stores searching for dimmers that would be a reasonable solution for my needs. Short of adapting a dimmer designed for a wall mount I could not find what I wanted. I caved in and ordered from Cool-Lux. The Cool-Lux catalog made a lighting dimmer sound very proprietary and perfect for my kit. I ordered 2 of them at $50.00 each. When they arrived I was immediately disappointed to see that they were so cheap they did not even have a ground pin receptacle and my lights have a ground pin (all lighting should be grounded in my opinion). Ten minutes later I was in Target to buy the ground lift adapters needed to plug my lights into the new dimmers. Right there in the electrical department were the exact same dimmers I paid $50.00 for from Cool-Lux for $15.00 at Target. I bought 2 more and vowed to quit buying Cool-Lux products (for other reasons also).

The dimmers Cool-Lux sells for $50.00 are actually made by GE. They can handle up to 600 watts. They work just fine with my Halogen kit. A Cool-Lux sticker is optional and requires an additional $35.00 plus shipping fees.

Also, there with the ground lifts and dimmers was a really cool IR remote control to turn power on and off, I got that too. Go figure, Target?

PS I know absolutely nothing about the frequencies, pulse rates, square gammas, wavelengths, round pulse factors and sub pulse factors of these cheap dimmers. They reduce voltage, for best results, white balance.

Steve
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:47 AM   #18
High School Student

What about buzzing caused by dimmers? Do only the extra extra cheap ones cause the lights to buzz/make noise? Do they all?
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:19 AM   #19
Chimera Lighting

What I think is this..

White balance on DV cameras is a blessing from god.. with film you would have a problem. but with white balance you can find a medium and hold all the dimmed lights together and not have it look to bad. Chimera makes scrims for their boxes and lanterns... or other peoples boxes if they are consistant in size.. which many Korean boxes are NOT>.
You can also use ND gels. Making dimmers is not hard but you have to watch out for sound interference.
I hope this helps
Strength and honor
r
Old August 6th, 2003, 04:03 AM   #20
Major Player

Alex,
All dimmer structures, apart from rheostat or variac based ones, use choppered voltage concepts. The cheap ones, and also the build in dimmers for home appliances, just chop the 60 hz AC voltages, generating a lot of 60hz and higher harmonic currents. These currents (and voltages) can generate acoustic (and RF!) noise in the dimmer circuits (in the snubber circuits, chokes..) and/or in the lamp holder(vibrating wires/mechanical parts...). The more expensive ones are also based on switching on and off the source but this is done by first rectifying the mains voltage (for mains applications) or us the DC battery voltage right away, and chop these sources at high frequencies, far above the audible spectrum. High freq. Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS) is being used these days in battery chargers, electronic ballasts, TV power supplies...off course with non adjustable duty cycles(fixed output voltages)
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management