Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

trying to insert bulb into Lowell V-Light; having trouble

Hi there,
Just wondering if someone can advise me. I just got a new V-Light. I've opened up the ceramic end-pieces, and I see the slot into which the new bulb should slide down into... but it doesn't quite fit. If I really push it, it might slide down, but I hesitate to push something that's mostly glass.
I'm also finding it tricky, because it seems I have to insert the bulb, while it's in the glass tube; this makes it harder to control.
Would someone kindly advise a new V-Light owner?
Thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Major Player

I've started to suspect that maybe the bulb I'm trying to fit into the V-Light is not, in fact, the right one (even though it was the one that was sold to me, along with the V-Light).

The bulb is made by Ushio, type: J120V-500WF/FCZ

Can anyone with a V-Light confirm whether or not this is the right bulb?
Thanks,
Malcolm

P.S. there's another bulb I should perhaps try instead: Ushio GDA 500W/120V
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Malcolm..........

If you'd scrolled down to the bottom of the page and typed in "Lowel V light" as I just did, you would have almost instantly found this:

http://www.lowel.com/download/V-light.pdf

Says it all really.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; November 29th, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Says it all really.

CS
I must be dense, Chris. While it may "say it all" to you, I'm not entirely sure what point is being made in the .pdf.

Are you referring to the lamp designator quoted or are there installation and warning notes that I didn't see.
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Chris and Shaun,
Thanks for your posts. I'm probably just too trusting. I bought the V-Light and two bulbs for it, from a reputable dealer here in Canada (Shaun, you may have a Vistek in Winnipeg), and I just assumed that the bulbs they sent me home with were the right ones. When I couldn't easily fit one of the bulbs into the light, I assumed I was trying to do it the wrong way, and posted my first request for advice.
Before getting a response, I did in fact read through the pdf you're talking about Chris; it mentions a 'GDA' model number, which looks exactly like the J model I was given (although, if the GDA is in fact the right bulb, I suspect it's half a millimetre longer than the J).
Anyway, that should have been enough for me to simply order two GDA bulbs, but (now that I'm no longer trusting and gullible) I wanted to corroborate this bulb choice with an actual V-Light user.
Anyway, I've since gone ahead and ordered two GDAs.
thanks for the feedback. I'll pass it on to Vistek so future purchasers can be saved some confusion.
Are people allowed, on this forum, to suggest a good place to buy replacement bulbs?
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Shaun...........

My point was that Malcolm had already come to the conclusion that maybe he didn't have the right bulb.

He even came up with the correct bulb designator.

The PDF posted confirmed his supposition.

The reason for me posting said PDF is that I claim no knowledge of said lighting units whatsoever, so could not and would not, claim to have "given him the answer due to my years of experience with same".

No more, no less.

A question was asked, I gave the answer I could, and no, I don't think you're dense.

Canadian perhaps, but then, so am I.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Major Player

It seems this thread belongs to us Canadians, exclusively.
Now we'd better lie low for a while before our American 'hosts' realize we're fomenting nothing less than a complete takeover (one thread at a time). The 'bulb' ruse worked, guys.
Good day, eh!
Malcolm
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Thanks, Chris. I hope my response didn't appear "snotty" - certainly not my intent.

I've had issues with Lowel "long" lights (as opposed to the two pin Lowel Pro bulbs) being EXCEEDINGLY difficult to install in the past. And since there are several (ushio, sylvania etc.) manufacturers o replacement lamps, I always end up just trusting my retailer to send me the right ones. I'd love to believe the three letter combination is uniform amongst manufacturers but my inner cynic has a hard time with that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management