Remote outdoor lighting solutions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Remote outdoor lighting solutions

Hi! I need to shoot a scene at night - and day for night will not work here. I am going to use the 5D MKII for its low light. However, I still need a light. I looked at the litepanels flood and spot kit, as well as the pelican kit.
Pelican | PC9430B Remote Area Lighting System - Black | PC9430B
Is there an led alternatives to redheads ? Say a 500W tungsten equivalent LED light (spot and flood) that can be powered off a car battery ?
Better still, has anyone ever tried to DIY one with Luxeon LEDs :-) ??
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Contributor

The best LED lights for the money are http://www.prompterpeople.com/led500.php
They have to 500LED and the 1000LED.
You could also use fluorescents. Coollights.biz has nice fluorescents fairly cheap. And http://www.skaeser.com/ sells some really cheap fluorescent softboxes.
Whether any of these would work for you depends on what you're shooting. Nice thing about fluorescents and LEDs is you can run them off car batteries for awhile. The 500LEDs pull 40 watts each.
I think that overpriced Pelican light is nothing more than a big waterproof flashlight. I don't see much use for it in video lighting, other than to bounce it off a reflector.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Awesome

Read your review too Bill. This seems EXACTLY what I wanted. When you think about it, some 500W studio lights cost 500/- bucks odd - especially the branded ones. Amazin they can offer a 500W equivalent LED for that price.
Would be interesting to have a Luxeon light with that spec - but perhaps later..
Cant believe I had not heard of these before..
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management