Sigma SL-20LX Video Light - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #46
Regular Crew

So what's the verdict here? Are 3 or 4 of these hacked together more appealing than/as effective as the LPMicro? It sounds like you have to correct the light on these, and the Micro has dimming capabilities and comes ready to apply filters...

Just wondering.

Thanks

WjR
William James Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #47
Major Player

Now... as big a fan as I am for these little "bite sized" marvels....they are NOT, in my mind anyway... even linked together into a panel of 6, 9 or 12... a competitor to the LED display sized lights. Think of them as a unique niche light.... a fill, a kicker, etc. Can you substitute them for a LED panel in a crunch? Yes, probably, but they won't give you the same kind of results I am sure. Use them singly or in pairs....and appropriately, and you will have a lot of fun and improve your cinemagraphic results. But... an LED panel substitute? ... uh huh. I don't think so.

In other words if you have a situation that might benefit from a LED panel light, and have the time to use it, and it won't be in the way - time wise or size wise, you WILL be better off using it.

Run and gun? and niche uses? Perfect.

My projected use this summer of a few of these for interviews in Montana's backcountry was based as much on weight and price than anything.

Hope this helps dispel yours and anyone else's thoughts that this was/is/could be, better than, say, Richard Andrewski's LED panels. It isn't, plain and simple. But it is a great little bite sized addition.

Me ? I think a couple belong in any videographer's tool kit.

Chris

ps. In other words if you were looking at LED panels, do not let this thread slow you down.
pps. If I were going to buy an LED panel, I'd seriously consider Richard's LED 600's.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #48
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
With the use of some adapters like these:
Testrite | LSA-10 Light Stand Adapter | LSA10 | B&H Photo Video
Smith-Victor | Adapter 1/4-20 to Standard Shoe | 701955 | B&H

This light could be put atop light stands for use as quick interview lights.
No need for the adapter, the light's mount is threaded already?
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Chris do you have one of these lights?
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #50
Major Player

Yes I have two, plus some of the IR ones as well.
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #51
Inner Circle

I picked up 6 of them, for being able to swap and have some backups, for the prices I paid, can't argue with them. I'm going to add some simple diffusers (using some needlepoint backing - crazy idea I got from a diffuser I saw for a still camera, mainly to soften the light for the interviewee a bit, but also helps spread the light more evenly). I find the camera seems to adapt WB pretty well with these (unlike the "blue ice" consumer LEDs), they are adequate for fill and when used in pairs they seem to boost over using one.

Tried using more than that, and there's not as noticeable a difference. A bit more light obviously, but I suspect these would benefit from being spread out in an array (when using two I've got them about a foot apart on outboard brackets). Throw seems pretty good, which is a weakness in ANY light rig.

Now I'm thinking about that external battery idea... HMMMM, that's the one weakness is the less than 1 hour run time and about 3-4 hours recharge from my experiments. I know the charger input shuts off the lights (won't come on when charging), but external power pack... can't be THAT hard to cobble up. Something using some of the old Sony F or FM serise shouldn't be too hard, and those are available pretty cheap... Not something I really need myself, the one hour time and a couple sets of them is plenty, but...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #52
Major Player

I thought I would bring this thread back into "real time" as I am often times pointing folks at it.

In a recent shoot I had the opporunity to use one as a kicker to separate a foreground object that was otherwise in shadow and blending it, light a shaded background object to make it look more natural, use it as a "hairlight/hair kicker" and to use in in a vehicle to moderate heavy shadows.

In other words a very valuable addition to anyones lighting tool kit.

Think of it this way...you have a scene lit, and as you look at the display showing the final result on camera, you notice a small area where you think, "Dang, I wish I had a little more light THERE." With these, you can pretty much hand hold the light during the shot and accomplish the "DANG I WISH" need, or hide it and get the rsult you want with the source itself hidden. ( A little black foil , or a tiny fold out mini tripod can be handy addition.)

ps. It is a SIMA !!! not SIGMA !
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #53
Major Player

I probably have $700 worth of on-camera lighting (LED and Tungsten), but these little gems have been my go-to kit for the past year because of the minimal weight they add, and the fact that I can use them with my Merlin steadycam without major balance adjustments (or dreaded power cables). I gang two (or three) in a row, put dimpled plastic diffusion sheets that I cut to size (and attached via velcro). I can run from 30% to 100% power by choosing how many lights to run. They are a bit harsh undiffused (and I wouldn't use them that way). The 'throw' isn't ideal (so get a bit closer). But done right, they offer a nice alternative to more expensive (and heavier) units costing 10x as much!
This is a sample from a bridal prep in a heavily backlit room (with 1 (diffused) Sima light on an XH-A1) Polina & Dmitry By Oren Arieli On ExposureRoom
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Here's a video I shot at SEMA this past week using 4 of these lights on my HMC40 set with the iris open and no gain. I think they make a difference, but not a huge difference and they do through a bit of green tint off, but it doesn't help that this vehicle was bright green either. :) I've got some more footage with them that I'll post up later on, but this is what I have so far with these lights. I think I'm going to need to spend more money for better quality lights, personally. The footage clarity from my HMC40 in good light versus poor light is huge, so I'd say it will be worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnSFnLS2qmA

Chris

Last edited by Chris Rademacher; November 11th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Chris Rademacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #55
Inner Circle

The Simas are great for the money...I get tired of changing them as they do run down quickly. I run 2-3 at a time, and they make a huge difference for wedding use if used correctly. They obviously do not have a long throw, but running three per camera are sufficient for dancing and most other (not all) reception situations. You have to move in on your subject with these.

I'm going to buy the Comer 900 or 1800 as they are without question the best light for the money anywhere. The Comer is better than the Swit, which costs double or more.

If they don't make much of a difference for you then you are using them in situations they are not suited for. If you are twenty or even 10 feet from the subject they will not make much difference...except in a very dark situation.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #56
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

I just wanted to pass my thanx on to your guys from Sima. I told them about this thread and they added a link to it on their blog.
Sima’s SL-20LX is a hit! Sima Products

BTW - We're still running our 3 pak promo at $99.95. $35 each one at a time.

Videoguys.com - Search for "sl20"

Gary
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The Simas are great for the money...I get tired of changing them as they do run down quickly. I run 2-3 at a time, and they make a huge difference for wedding use if used correctly. They obviously do not have a long throw, but running three per camera are sufficient for dancing and most other (not all) reception situations. You have to move in on your subject with these.

I'm going to buy the Comer 900 or 1800 as they are without question the best light for the money anywhere. The Comer is better than the Swit, which costs double or more.

If they don't make much of a difference for you then you are using them in situations they are not suited for. If you are twenty or even 10 feet from the subject they will not make much difference...except in a very dark situation.
I was using them very close to the subject with the pany wide angle lens, less than 10 feet and mostly around 5 feet. I think I'm going to buy the comer 1800 most likely. Looks nice...just wish it worked with the pany batteries.
Chris Rademacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Gary, you guys should look into the Comers, no one sells them ANYWHERE but one shop in L.A.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I think I'm going to spring for a comer...anybody got any footate using the $200 bescor though?

Chris
Chris Rademacher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management