Sigma SL-20LX Video Light - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #31
Major Player

Gee... I have to wonder if this thread has created a small run on these lights? I can just see the sellers wondering "what the heck" with orders flowing in...
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #32
New Boot

I wouldn't be at all surprised! I'm tempted to get at least one more. Even with postage to the UK and the useless 110v charger they are still a fraction of the price of anything similar and perfectly suitable for run and gun stuff.

I wish I'd bought a few when I was in Vegas earlier this year :(
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Testing cheap Sima SL-20LX led lights on Vimeo

Not a real test, but i charged them, put them on top of 2 camcorders and hit record.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #34

Thanks, Hubert! That was just what I was looking for--shows exactly how they "look".

No, it wasn't rocket science, but it doesn't need to be.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #35
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

These lights have been great sellers for us. I have one and I love it. We've got them on the website for $34.95 each.

Videoguys - Sima Products -Hitch USB-101 $99.95, Sima VS-HD31 3x1 HDMI Switcher $199.95 (I know buy now price says $39.95 but they add to cart at $34.95)

DO you think it makes sense for us to offer a 3 pack of them for $99.95?

Gary
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan View Post
These lights have been great sellers for us. I have one and I love it. We've got them on the website for $34.95 each.

Videoguys - Sima Products -Hitch USB-101 $99.95, Sima VS-HD31 3x1 HDMI Switcher $199.95 (I know buy now price says $39.95 but they add to cart at $34.95)

DO you think it makes sense for us to offer a 3 pack of them for $99.95?

Gary
They seem to work well in pairs, so 4 or 6 packs would be nice (I've got 6 floating around), 3 for $100 would be a nice deal.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I couldn't take it anymore. I found 4 very tiny screws in each corner of the back of the light. Upon removal, the frame and diffusion filter remove very easily allowing you to put color correction filters, more diffusion or leave it with out the original diffuser. The leds have a silver reflector with allignment holes as a back reflector. The battery is a flat 3.7 battery.
it all goes back together simply. If I can find room for a small switch, I think I can run it from an external supply.
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #38
Major Player

I wondered how long it would be before we started re-engineering these little marvels. Keep us posted.
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM   #39
Regular Crew

i just might purchase, i like the A1 demonstration
Janson Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #40
Inner Circle

The PDF on the website mentions 4500k for the color temp.

If an AC or separate DC hack could be made, these could be used for a hair light on a boom.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #41
Major Player

Tim... While not exactly easy to find... some years ago I found a cold shoe mount and it can/could/might be adapted to thread onto a boom pole... Or you could adapt the threads to mount into the 1/4 threaded hole in the bottom of the shoe on the light itself... so it is a pretty versatile system mounting wise.

If you planned to use this as a hair light, I'd probably want to make a simple little paper or foamboard snoot for it, but you are right... kickers, hairlights, background lights, mini fill lights etc... these litttle lights are perfect for many applications.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris.

Actually, I was speaking to the current, AC or DC since these lights only run on a rechargeable battery.

The 45 min runtime would be quite short for longer shoots and would not work.

If they could be modified to use external batteries or AC power they would be more useful.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #43
Trustee

I just got one of these lights and it is going to be my "fanny pack" light. It weighs nothing and is quite bright all things considered. It actually may be brighter than I like for an on-camera light so I'll probably get some diffusion as well as some 1/2 minus green. Of course, some 1/2 CTO and 1/2 CTB are probably a good idea to match daylight or tungsten.

With the use of some adapters like these:

Testrite | LSA-10 Light Stand Adapter | LSA10 | B&H Photo Video

Smith-Victor | Adapter 1/4-20 to Standard Shoe | 701955 | B&H

This light could be put atop light stands for use as quick interview lights. A tilt adapter would obviously be better but I had found these for some other LED lights I made that have their own swivel head.

P.S. Why can't the title of this thread be changed so people can find the light we are discussing?

Last edited by Marcus Marchesseault; February 26th, 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: P.S...
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #44
Major Player

Tim.... yes the runtime is an issue....no question - and I cannot wait for the DIY hack fixes for AC power adapters, or external DC for that matter. Meanwhile, if you had several of these in your arsenal, (and they are so cheap several are not THAT bad an investment - for this and other purposes) you could just keep swapping them out during a shoot. As an interview hairlight, 2 for swapping would probably handle 99% of the interviews you might be likely to do on a location where an AC powered Lowel Prolight (my hairlight), for example, might not work.

Chris

ps. I plan to do some interviews in Montana's backcountry this summer and plan to take half a dozen or more of these along for ALL my lighting needs (ok with a couple reflectors). I know I will be improvising snoots and barn doors, etc...
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Good Point on buying a couple and swapping.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management