DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 10th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Profoto Lighting Modifiers?

Hi Guys,

I just bought my first 'big' light. A Profoto 1.2k ProDaylight HMI (a bug light very similar in concept and execution to the K5600 Joker Bugs). But I'm not familiar with Profoto's light modifier range, and was wondering if anyone could share their suggestions?

I've also bought the Profoto Cinereflector, which turns the light into a traditional, zoomable PAR (complete with lenses, scrims and barndoors) but I'm wondering if there's good use to be found from things like Profoto's beauty dish or magnum reflector or other modifiers?

If you've worked with Profoto gear before (stills or video) I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

Re: Profoto Lighting Modifiers?

Hi Mark

I have heard of this fixture by Profoto, however, I have not used one. I was wondering what drew you toward the light, so to speak, vs going with a joker? which has far more attachments already on the market.

sorry to side step your question with another question
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Not at all, it was purely a matter of price. I needed more oomph than an 800w HMI, and the prices for the 1600w Jokers (and the 800w for that matter) were simply out of my reach (by at least 50% extra).
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the ProDaylight 1.2, it's a fun light. Although I usually see a Joker 2/4/8 with the crossover adapter (albeit does not give you the same range of "focusing" as on the ProDay or any Profoto fixture), you're right about the price.

Profoto's Cinereflector is a good start, that sets you up similarly to what the Joker and optics kit would be.

In terms of reflectors, here's what I run with most of the time (for strobe mostly but the same idea applies):

7" Grid reflector, which will hold a grid from a wide variety of manufacturers (I use a set from my old Speedotrons). While the new Zoom 2 reflector has a half stop more light than the 7" (thanks to a faceted interior, same as the new Arri Par designs), it uses a 7.5" grid (and I'm not about to go buy a new grid set just for that).

Magnum: A go-to efficient, medium-long throw, has a bit more punch since it's a bit deeper. For me I always take it with a battery setup, since I'll be limited on power, and if I need a good hard light but no room for a fresnel.

Beauty Dish: Profoto's Softlights are great, most folks go with white, metal center disc (you can buy, or make one out of frosted plexi, which gives you a bit more punch in the light), and a grid+sock (not sure if they make a high-temp sock for the 1.8 though). This is a default fashion sort of light, with a hard light that keeps texture without being unflattering on skin, and slightly edgy shadows. Some folks dig a bigger dish (Mola) which are interesting, but a huge pain to transport due to size.

Softbanks/Chimeras: Profoto introduced the HR line of banks specifically for the ProDay and ProTungsten Airs... nothing particularly special about them, I'm partial to Chimeras since you have a bit more flexibility in the fabric densities...

Octa: 80% of the time in stills, if its an octa we go with an Elinchrom Rotalux, with an Elinchrom to Profoto adapter. The variety of options (sizes from 27 to 74", varying depth) they offer is why they're preferred. Honest to goodness just get the right speed ring and go with a Chimera if you're interested in using an Octa (I like the 5+7 kit from Chimera, which lets me do either 3/4 length or full length/small group shots in a very small travel size, and they are heat resistant). Profoto's octas... not anything special.

Giant Umbrellas: These are a great frontal "giant fill" sort of light, the ProBig-5 and 7 (since renamed Giant reflcetor+insert diamater in inches here) are sort of "idiot proof lights" since its hard to not get a flattering light, due to the size. These mount to a roller or combo stand, and you kind of just... mount the light to the modifier.

Beyond all that you get into some of the Fresnels/Ellips, which... you might be better suited to use the real things (that's what the Pro versions are based on after all). The Fresnel Spot, is just an Arri 1k, but black with a strobe tube inside...

Hope this helps!
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I am primarily a still photographer and I use Profoto modifiers with Speedotron lights. I use the 60" octa and a pair of 1'x4' strip boxes. The quality is very high and the prices are reasonable for the quality. Profoto strobes are considered very high end in the still photography industry.

Bob
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Daniel! Bob. That's hugely helpful!
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management