What color gel to make LEDs match incandescent? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What color gel to make LEDs match incandescent?

I recently bought the Fancier LED 500 light and the LEDs are daylight colored. I haven't even used it yet, but it seems pretty cool for the money. If I use it indoors, I will need it to match the incandescent lighting.

Do you know what color I'll need?

And while I'm on the subject, what diffusion gel would be good?

thanks,
~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What color gel to make LEDs match incandescent?

You will want CTO (color to orange) gels:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44198-REG/Rosco_RS340711_3407_Filter_RoscoSun.html
You can also go with CTBs (to blue) over your tungsten lights to match things the other way.

Personally, I'm a fan of mixed color temps. Go with a 1/2 CTB over a back light to infer a window in the room. You can also add orange highlights to infer a sunset.

You might consider a Full CTO, 1/2 CTO, 1/4 CTO, Full CTB, 1/2 CTB, and 1/4 CTB to give yourself full flexibility.
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, that is a huge help! I'll go ahead and buy a few variations as you suggested.

Can you recommend diffusion gels? There are two reasons, one to soften the light even more, and also because LEDs are so hard to look at, I want to make it easier on the talent's eyes.

thanks,
~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've been a fan of Tough Spun for years. I've used it on all kinds of lights and use it today on my small on camera LEDs. Most big photo stores carry it and it comes in sheets. I think the smallest is 24"x24". It'll last a very long time.
Old August 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Wrangler

Jon, the abbreviations CTO and CTB are actually for Color Temperature Orange, and Blue, respectively.

I started to compare tough spun to the Lee diffusion I normally use (along with light, half and full grid) and thought I'd search the site just in case this was a re-run. Turns out the axiom "I couldn't have said it better myself" was more true than I could have guessed.
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Jon, the abbreviations CTO and CTB are actually for Color Temperature Orange, and Blue, respectively.
Correct, sir! :)
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #7
New Boot

FWIW, LEDs have an erratic spectral distribution that doesn't correspond all that neatly to the spectra modified by the common gels. The answer is still the same, you should use full CTO to make daylight LEDs match tungsten, but they won't match perfectly, or even all that well, depending on the light. Daylight LEDs do match the spectral distribution of real daylight, which is what the gels were developed for. If possible, use LEDs from the same manufacturer so your sources are at least consistent within the frame.

Tom Guiney
Airboxlights.com inflatable softboxes
DP, gaffer, softbox maker
SF Bay
Tom Guiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Keep in mind that you lose light for each filter you add including diffusion. I've found that the diffusion material I have lowers the color temp a little as well. Being able to dial in the color temp without gel'ing and losing light is what I love about the Zylight LED lights. Here I had daylight from windows behind the camera and a tungsten bulb in the next room. The Zylight gave me precise control over the color temp of the light I put on my subject.
Attached Thumbnails
What color gel to make LEDs match incandescent?-tabitha_coors.png  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Because LEDs have an erratic spectral distribution the traditional colour correction gels don't work as well as they do on full spectrum lights. You cut out the blue but the green spike (which varies from brand to brand) isn't affected and becomes even more prominent.
So you need to add some minus green gel as well 1/4 or 1/2 depending on the light and how much correction you've applied.

Lee Filters are making LED conversion gels that are meant to take into account the green aspect of LEDs.
Haven't tried them yet but #624 would be equal to full CTO. There are other strengths available as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management