Private Classifieds listings from 2002 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2002, 11:36 PM   #256
Major Player

I would like the GL2 because of the built in audio controls. With the VU meters, XLR inputs, and the manual audio level controls. I know you can add these things on the GL1, but I will be taking this thing everywhere and it needs to be small and simple. I also like the fact that the GL2 has CCDs with more resolution. Other small things help my decision also. Such as the clear scan, SMPTE color bars, digital photo on a SD card, and power shutoff override. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have considered a GL1 and many other less expensive cameras it for a while. The GL2 is the one I need. Thanks for your input though!
Old September 22nd, 2002, 12:05 AM   #257
Obstreperous Rex

The GL2 is still very new, so there's no such thing as a refurb yet. There are not very many used units available that I'm aware of. B&H sets the price for the industry and the realistic cost is about $2400 to $2500. Ultimate Electronics, an authorized Canon dealer, sells the GL2 at full retail ($2700) but they have a great finance plan where you can put a few hundred down, and pay off the rest interest free for a year. You might want to look into a similar financing option.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 22nd, 2002, 01:11 AM   #258
Major Player

That is a great idea. I had never thought of that before. I will look into it. Thanks!
Old September 23rd, 2002, 09:28 PM   #259
New Boot

best price and no % or payments 5 mo

If you are interested in a GL2
from a real Canon Dealer
$2400 w/ shipping and no pmt or %
for 5 mo send me an email. I can
help.
kwinfo@cinmail.net
or
watch4fraud@netscape.net

I will e mail you the information
and a toll free number.

Best of all Its free!
Old September 23rd, 2002, 09:35 PM   #260
Major Player

Thanks for your interest, but $2400 is a little more than I wanted to spend. Thanks for the offer though!
Old September 27th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #261
Morgan Evans

FS- Porta-Brace Polar Bear for XL1/S

New Porta-Brace Heated camera case for the XL1 cameras. This case is designed to keep your cam-corder warm in cold temperatures.
see it here:
http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=POL

It is thickly padded with a high loft insulation material. The interior is lined with mylar fabric to reflect heat back into the camera chamber. Air activated warmers placed inside the case, maintain interior temperatures, to keep battery, recorder, lens and hands warm. Tested at minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Two hand openings at the lens are enclosed with cotton cuffs for a tight, warm seal. Suede leather handles make it comfortable to carry. A lens hood is stored on the case to protect the lens in transport, it also prevents condensation from forming when bringing POLAR BEAR in from the cold.

List: $356.
My price: $275 plus shipping

Also have Porta-Brace Rain Slicker for XL1/S $150.
Camera sold-

907-252-3585
photos available

Old September 28th, 2002, 12:25 AM   #262
Wrangler

I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of it. I will be doing some snowboarding video in Whistler this winter. It may be out of my current budget though.

Anyway, if you could post a link, or e-mail me photos at livingart@shaw.ca, I'd like to take a look at it.
Thanks
Old September 28th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #263
Trustee

Dylan,

If you don't have the budget for Morgans cover, just try a standard rain slicker. Whistler does't really get as cold a up in Alaska so you shouldn't have a problem. I shot out in Fernie with my XL at around -15 and although the battery life was shortened the camera performed perfectly.
Old September 28th, 2002, 04:04 PM   #264
Wrangler

Thanks for the tip Adrian! Maybe I'll give that a try first. I wasn't sure how well it would do on the slopes. What kind of drop in the batteries did you notice?
Old September 28th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #265
Morgan Evans

Hi Dylan, Adrian.
I've got the jpegs on my laptop and I'll shoot a couple over to you tomorrow (Sun). Adrian, I believe you're well-intentioned but shooting 'bare-camera' at sustained -15 is not ideal unless it was a quick shot you had to have. The camera is rated for +32-40 F for a reason. I tried shooting caribou in winter, before I bought the Pola, and the internal servo functions of the standard 16X Canon zoom totally locked up. The lubricants on moving parts turn hard and creates a lot of strain on the camera. With the Heat packs in the case the camera stays at 70-80F and the batteries last normal length. Otherwise figure about 10 minutes running time.
Whether you buy the case or not is not an issue. My point is if your camera is happy then you're happy.

I just bought a JVC DV500 and am offing the XL1 Polar case and buying the Polar Bear for that camera. The XL1 btw was a fine camera and paid for itself many times over.

Best,
Morgan

Morgan Evans
Alaska Productions
www.alaska-video.com
907-252-3585

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of it. I will be doing some snowboarding video in Whistler this winter. It may be out of my current budget though.

Anyway, if you could post a link, or e-mail me photos at livingart@shaw.ca, I'd like to take a look at it.
Thanks -->>>

Old September 29th, 2002, 02:52 AM   #266
Regular Crew

polarcase

does the polar case work well as a rainslicker?

It would be ideal if it could serve both purposes.

I'm down in vancouver, but plan on shooting in the winter time, where temperatures get down to 0 degree celcius.
I will be going back and forth to Toronto this winter, and looking for something more robust than my homemade polarfleece cover I made last year (which was used for shooting some stuff 60miles north Toronto in the middle of winter. Not an ideal situation.)

Adrian van der Park
Old September 29th, 2002, 07:00 AM   #267
Trustee

Dylan,

The drop in rec time wasn't huge maybe 15mins or so. Keep your batteries inside your jacket close to your body to help them out. You shouldn't have any problems with your camera freezing as on a sunny day in the Van area mountains, Whistler, Grouse, Seymore(can't remember how they spelt it) etc the temp won't be much lower than -5 to -10. If you were going to be hanging out in one place for hours on end shooting wildlife like Morgan, then you might want to take more precautions, but since shooting snowboarding you are always on the move, you should be sweet. I did that for a couple of seasons in both Canada and New Zealand and never had a problem, except for being taken out by a guy and snapping the VF of the side of my XL.
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #268
Francisco R. S.

3x wide angle lens

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a Canon 3X wide angle lens. Does anyone have a good to mint condition 3X lens? thanks

Old September 30th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #269
Anthony Fletcher

Steve, I would have gotten that cam from you had I seen your post a week earlier. But since you've got the coolest email addy in the world, I'll take that EF adapter off your hands. stevenyc1@aol.com...classic! Give me a shout about that adapter.

Old September 30th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #270
Anthony Fletcher

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Fletcher : Steve, I would have gotten that cam from you had I seen your post a week earlier. But since you've got the coolest email addy in the world, I'll take that EF adapter off your hands. stevenyc1@aol.com...classic! Give me a shout about that adapter. -->>>

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds