The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Major Player

The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

Anyone seen or used one of these yet... Very interesting if this works...

VariZoom Lens Controls - Zoom &amp Focus Controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits

The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

Now you can pull focus on your SONY PMW-EX1 or EX3 cameras with our VZ-EFC-U, professional Cable Drive Focus Control with Universal Bracket and 95mm Focus Ring
Attached Images

Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Personally, if I'm not shooting with a 35mm adaptor, focusing isn't that critical as most everything is in focus. I guess if you're frequently shooting zoomed-in and under low-light it might be useful.

It would be interesting to work out the DOF of the EX1/EX3 lens in various shooting conditions. I'll bet you'll find that the DOF is very wide, and most objects will be in focus under most shooting conditions.

I'm really generalizing here, but it's just so easy to manually set your focus and then shoot without fear of things being soft.

Now shooting with a 35mm adaptor.....that's a WHOLE different thing. But a remote lens controller wouldn't help with that as you're focused on the ground glass of the adaptor, not your subject.

Just my $0.02. :)
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Major Player

I was thinking it would be handy for a Crane mount application as you do not have access to focus and while adjusting zoom you now have the ability to focus if this thing works?? Much cheaper then any other remote focus controllers I have seen out there.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Trustee

it does look cool. Have you seen the Hocus Focus Hocus Products

Love to test the varizoom but I dont have enough need for one to shell out for one for myself!
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Had not seen the Hocus device... Interesting. Thanks Phillip... I hope a proper review by someone is done as I do not have the funds right now but would like to know how it works, could come in handy for a crane application.
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Trustee

i could have done with it today on my Ultimate/ EX3 on a jib for a commercial. Had to shoot at f11 to make sure i maintained focus!

If anyone knows anyone at Varizoom I would love to review it...
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
New Boot

I've attached a photo of the remote follow focus I built last year using standard R/C equipment. It was going to be for use with my 35mm cine-apaptor. As you can see it looks very similar to the one Varizoom is now selling.

It's critical to know what degree of accuracy their unit achieves. I used a boat winch servo as the motor, and found that it consistently overshot the mark by several degrees and then would oscillate. This is not acceptable when focusing with a cine-apaptor.

(BTW Mitchell, you only set up the adaptor to focus on the GG once, after that focusing is done using the 35 mm lenses. That's the whole point of using the device. What you wrote is incorrect. And as a matter of fact if Varizoom can offer this product with different gearing options for the many M35 users out there using various lenses, (and not just the EX-3) they will sell a great deal more of them.

I am still working on my DIY version. I'm now looking into different motors and controllers with a robotics engineer, to see if a better degree of accuracy can be achieved. I too, would love to know how the Varizoom unit works and if like mine, it's using standard R/C electronics. At $699 if Varizoom's product works as it should they should have a winner.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control-remote_ff.jpg  
Martin Amada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Martin, very nice!!! To focus with an RC gun is classic! Hopefully we will get a proper review of the Varizoom. I passed on Phillp's info to them and they said it would be great to have him review it and they will work on making that happen...
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Trustee

I saw this system at NAB being used on a RED, but I will say I have not used it and they are, according to their website, OUT OF STOCK, so either they are in demand or having issues.
It's worth a look anyway and they have several videos to see the system working.

viewfactor.net
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

Can Varizoom EFC-U be used as Electronic Follow Focus units for rig mounted Zeiss CP2 lens. I wonder would this be giving 300 degrees of focus ring turns. Also thinking as how to mount the wired controller on the rig hand bars to have a stable control & balancing the rig simultaneously.

VariZoom VZEFC-U | Sony EX / Fujinon Focus control | Lens Control
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Re: The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

any info ?????
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers