LANC Tripod Handle? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Law,
Unless I'm not understanding you, the ZR-1000 does what you want. The "Zoom Speed" ring at the top of the unit has 5 pre-sets for different zoom speeds, plus a "V" click-stop that lets you vary the speed based on how far the rocker switch is depressed when you want to vary the speed within a zoom.
There's a safety button in the middle of the ring that needs to be pressed to move from the V click-stop to the pre-sets.
Test the presets with your cam and decide which work best for the close, middle, and wide speeds you are looking for. You can easily move from speed to speed during a shoot simply by turning the zoom ring as you anticipate the need.
Hope this helps.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Allan, oh yeah, it does work, but I hope for something better.

Two sets of buttons, or rockers, one for slow zoom-on-the-fly, and one superfast to get there ASAP in sports video, w/o having to move my hand (like up to the regular zoom rocker).
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Let me drop in a plug for my personal favorite, the Zoe from Bebob Engineering. You can check out the newest model with the "Max Speed" adjustment at http://saferseas.com/vsd/eye/zoe.html.

I like the Bogen, but you are stuck with using it on a pan handle. The Zoe can be placed on just about any rig you want to use, including steadicams, shoulder braces or jibs. And the two year factory warranty is sweet.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #19
Major Player

Manual / auto-focus on these babies?

I have one of the older Sony tripod handles that does the basics:
- zoom (no variable);
- Start / Stop
- On / Off/ Photo / Vcr

(Basically it replicates the controls you have with your right hand on the camera -- not including Memory Stick functions). Well worth the $45 I spent on it a few years back.

The one thing I'm really looking for is a remote that would replicate the temporary auto-focus button on the lens barrel of the PD-150/VX-2000. I use this all the time to lock in focus when on manual focus. Seeing as I already have the Sony remote, I'd settle for just a single remote button that did nothing else but engage the autofocus.

Anyone know if any of these controllers will do this? If not, any LANC-savvy programmers interested in creating a prototype?
Brian Standing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers