Help! Canon A1 not working with Sony Tripod! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 21st, 2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help! Canon A1 not working with Sony Tripod!

I was testing the camera today during a wedding and noticed the Variable Zoom In/Out function is not working on the A1 with a Sony tripod zoom controller . Works fine with PD170, I've used this tripod's variable zoom function before on my XL1s. Also standby button works with this tripod on the A1, as well as zoom, just not Variable. We use this tripod for quick run and gun shooting for b-roll. Sony VCT-870RM. any suggestions?

*e
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:24 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

That's a pretty light tripod to put under the A1 anyway. Consider a remote lens controller made specifically for Canon camcorders, such as Canon's own ZR-2000, or any LANC controller from Bogen, VariZoom or Zoe / Bebob.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Contributor

Or, if you need a little bit bigger tripd, consider the Libec 22 from Zotz Digital. I've been trading emails with Brian there, and they've got a deal going that gives you the lanc controller for free when you buy the tripod package. I don't know if it will work or not, but if you need a tripod, it won't cost anything to find out.

The Libec 22 seems fairly well suited to the A1. It's rated for 8.8 pounds. The camera is about 5, and I'm assuming the tripod adapter plate will be about 2 pounds. Zotz' cost is $400, and $440 for the mid level spreader version.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Chris I plan to get a Varizoom controller with a larger Bogen tripod, but I was still hoping I could use the little sony for Smaller Chapels and churches, running around with a Bogen won't be easy. And the sony is rated at holding up to 8.8 pounds. The varizoom has a speed knob, will that work with the A1? I just hope this isn't a large problem finding a zoom controller to work with the A1. Thanks for your input.

*e

Last edited by Eric Dyer; November 21st, 2006 at 08:42 PM.
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers