Any review for Sony VCT-1170RM Tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any review for Sony VCT-1170RM Tripod?

Anybody here use this Sony professional tripod and can write a review about it? I found a place with Sony VCT-1170RM tripod for $451 after shipping.
Thanks,
Lucas
Lucas Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, I recently bought this tripod in Thailand for around US 550 but the manual came in Japanese so I can't understand how to operate the wireless control that sony's website states that it offers.
Anyway it's been working fine with the wired controls.
Tilting is quite smooth but the panning doesn't really makes me happy for what I paid...
It's a good tripod though. The controls are a very usefull tool and make a big difference compared to thirh part tripods...
What's your camera by the way?
It's a big tripod and need some weight from the camera to work fine...
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Does anybody have any oppinion about this tripod??
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've tried it with Z1 and didn't like it from start. It's just too small, light and looks very fragile. Friction is so-so, but i wouldn't like to work with that one on a real job. Generally i would say this tripod is something between consumer and semipro tripods. I am currently working with Vinten PRO6 and it is so much better altough is more expensive than Sony and actually is not in the same category. Keep in mind that you are probably buying tripod to serve you for a long, long time, and will possibly be a workhorse for your next few cameras, so it is not a bad idea to drop few more bucks for that.
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi mate.
How do you control the camera with non-sony tripods?
These controls for soom and start/stop right on the arm are a great thing that I find really usefull!
Tnx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko Flajpan
I've tried it with Z1 and didn't like it from start. It's just too small, light and looks very fragile. Friction is so-so, but i wouldn't like to work with that one on a real job. Generally i would say this tripod is something between consumer and semipro tripods. I am currently working with Vinten PRO6 and it is so much better altough is more expensive than Sony and actually is not in the same category. Keep in mind that you are probably buying tripod to serve you for a long, long time, and will possibly be a workhorse for your next few cameras, so it is not a bad idea to drop few more bucks for that.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Wrangler

You can generally use any LANC zoom controller with Sony cameras, so there's no real reason to get a Sony tripod. Pick your tripod and head based on the important things like stability and smooth motion, then buy whatever LANC controller you like and attach it to the handle.

What camera are you using? If its a Z1 or FX1 you might want to see this thread about a LANC issue:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55047
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Pedro,

You can always set up your Cam's Infrared Remote control to use thru a FiberOpitc cable to control Off/On and Zooming, assuming your Cam came with an Infrared RC. I've fabricated these for all 4 of my Sony Cams, and have both a Sony Lanc Remote Handle and the Infrared RC connected when I shoot. Infrared is single speed and Lanc is two speed.

I'm able to use either control with either hand, and that helps a lot for the 8 to 12 hour Horse Shows I do.

Can send you Pics if interested. They are cheap and easy to make.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, thanks mate but the 4 zoom speed hand controls on the Sony's tripod are working just fine. Remote control's singe speed wouldn't really help me a lot as I like really slow zooming sometimes...
Thanks for the info anyway!

PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber
Hey Pedro,

You can always set up your Cam's Infrared Remote control to use thru a FiberOpitc cable to control Off/On and Zooming, assuming your Cam came with an Infrared RC. I've fabricated these for all 4 of my Sony Cams, and have both a Sony Lanc Remote Handle and the Infrared RC connected when I shoot. Infrared is single speed and Lanc is two speed.

I'm able to use either control with either hand, and that helps a lot for the 8 to 12 hour Horse Shows I do.

Can send you Pics if interested. They are cheap and easy to make.

Harold
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers