VariZoom... Which one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 19th, 2001, 05:19 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

VariZoom... Which one?

Does anyone have any opinion on which Varizoom controller is better? The VZ-Pro-L with the toggle switch for zooming, or the VZ-Pro-LX with the dial and push button combination for zooming.

I've heard people complain about being able to control toggle switches. The toggle on the XL-1 can be difficult to control, too. But I read an opinion from someone recently that the Varizoom controller with the toggle button is better than the other.

Any experience or input?
Old September 21st, 2001, 09:28 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi John,

<< The VZ-Pro-L with the toggle switch for zooming, or the VZ-Pro-LX with the dial and push button combination for zooming. >>

Actually both have a speed dial. The Pro-L has a rocker & speed dial, the Pro-LX has buttons & speed dial.

<< I've heard people complain about being able to control toggle switches. The toggle on the XL-1 can be difficult to control, too. But I read an opinion from someone recently that the Varizoom controller with the toggle button is better than the other. >>

The deal is, with *pressure-sensitive* zoom rockers on all these DV camcorders, not just the XL1. It's very hard to hold just the right amount of pressure. They're a lot worse than the feathered rockers on expensive pro broadcast lenses.

The Pro-L's rocker isn't pressure sensitive. Mash it down as hard as you want, it's only going to go as fast as the speed your dial is set to. Want to go faster or slower during a zoom, just roll the dial at the end of your index finger while holding the rocker down with your thumb.

The Pro-LX works exactly the same way, except with push-buttons instead of a rocker (more room for extra features on this controller).

It's mostly a form-factor issue. Some people find the rocker more intuitive than the buttons. They're used to rockers. No difference in function, however.

Ask me anything about VariZoom. I am the VariZoom King.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2001, 08:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I read somewhere on your website that you will be posting a review of the new Stealth controller from VariZoom. When can we expect to see that?
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2001, 07:03 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ed,

As soon as I can get one in my hands, I'll let y'all know. By the way, it's comforting to have someone else in the community who knows where the apostrophe goes in "y'all" -- I certainly do appreciate that!

;-)

Old September 25th, 2001, 09:14 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ya'll vs. Y'all

Sounds like a South Texan comment to me!

I beg to differ...in the Panhandle it's usually "ya'll." And we all know that West Texas English is the standard by which ALL other Texas dialects are measured.

But we West Texans will forgive you this time, Chris, seeing as how this is your message board and site.

On that same note, how do you say "pecan" (that's a word that'll give away where you're from right away).

- PEE-can (West Texans who've been isolated from TV most their lives)
- pe-CAHN (South Texans)
- pe-can (Yankees...anyone north of Dallas)

Okay...I'll shut up now.
Old September 25th, 2001, 09:24 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Y'all get on outta here, now

Ehh... John... I can throw you an argument here...

The word "y'all" needs that apostrophe between the Y and the A, my friend, because it's a contraction of "you all." When you cram those words together they way we do down here, I think it's obvious that it's "y'all" (you plus all equals y'all).

Of course, I bet you already know that "y'all" is the singular form and refers to just one person. F'rinstance, if I invited you over for dinner (you're welcome any time, by the way), I'd say:

"John, y'all come over for dinner."

But if that invitation was extended to include not only you but your entire family (which it is, by the way), then I'd use the plural form, which is "all y'all" as in:

"John, why don't all y'all come on over for dinner."

You raise an interesting question regarding the word PECAN. Down here pecans are regarded as some sort of highly revered food source... thought of, spoken about, and consumed in high degrees all around. You said...

<< - PEE-can (West Texans who've been isolated from TV most their lives)

- pe-CAHN (South Texans) >>

... quite right. As for myself, I hear it both ways all the time, but I say it "pe-CAHN." Then again I ain't exactly what y'all would call a Native Texan. I'm a transplant from Kansas (pecans were import items up there).

Old September 30th, 2001, 09:27 PM   #7
Tom Mckay

VariZoom Lens Controls

Re: StealthZoom report

This is Tom from VariZoom. We will be shipping Chris "The VariZoom King" Hurd the first StealthZoom production unit very soon.

We too are awaiting to read the upcoming report. Chris has already tried the first prototype version of this control. Of course being a true dedicated professional he will not, publicly, comment until seeing the actual unit that will be sold in stores. I know, I tried.

We are already taking orders, mostly, from people that already own some of our other gear. Details are on the site now.

See it here: http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/stealth.htm

Chris, I hope it's okay to plug the product here?

Thanks
Old October 12th, 2001, 05:18 PM   #8
MSBSaude

A few more questions

Is the zooming automatic accelerated/decelerated or i have to do so by chaging the dial positon while zooming?

With Pro-LX i have to hold the push buttom while zoomig or a single touch is enough?

Is it possible to set the final focal range or varizoom will only stop by releasing the buttom/rocker?

Varizoom controls focus and iris too?

Thanks for your help
Marcelo.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 01:13 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Ed Frazier asked:

<< I read somewhere on your website that you will be posting a review of the new Stealth controller from VariZoom. When can we expect to see that? >>

Just posted it today -- thanks for your patience,

Old February 5th, 2002, 12:31 AM   #10
Quantum Productions

VariZoom...Which one?

There seems to be a few VariZooms to choose from. Is one much better than another? The stealth seems pretty cool! I know the answer may be posted throughout this site somewhere but I can't find it and can't wait as I want to order one.....Now! :)
(as long as it's better than the on-camera zoom, which is still pretty good!) I wish there wasn't so many accessories for the XL1 because my wife doesn't like my Visa bill!

Thanks....
Old February 5th, 2002, 12:38 AM   #11
Major Player

Check out Chris' review of the Stealth model on the XL-1 Watchdog page -- look under articles.

Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins!
Old February 5th, 2002, 12:50 AM   #12
Quantum Productions

Thanks, I should of read it better!

I'm sold!! Where's my Visa?????
Old February 5th, 2002, 09:49 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

My favorite actually is the PG-L model. Not yet reviewed on my site but you can find it at www.varizoom.com -- the new ones have a rocker switch, not buttons. Hope this helps,

Old February 5th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #14

<<<-- Originally posted by Vic Owen : Check out Chris' review of the Stealth model on the XL-1 Watchdog page -- look under articles.

Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins! -->>>

a common misconception amongst baby boomers
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 01:30 PM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

It also depends on what you want it to do. Not all models offer all functions (such as turning on or off the display or cueing).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers