VariZoom... Which one? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #16
Quantum Productions

The Steath seems to do everything I need and it's a good price (even after our stupid Canadain dollar!) I also like the VZ-LSP
Professional Shoulder Support System as I do alot of camera work off the tripod. Anyone actually use it? Does the camera still 'rock around' while you walk?

(topic change a bit...)

I'm actually still waiting for a friend of mine to finish a 'steady cam' idea that he has been working on for a couple of years. It's basically a round ring that goes around the camera (just bigger than the XL1) and the camera sits on a swing like base. Then there's handels on the sides with some bearings inside. You can let go of one handel and drop the camera near the ground and will still keep the camera upright.
I plan to share the info here if he ever finishes it and it works!
Old February 5th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #17
Major Player

The one feature that I wish the Varizooms had is the on-screen information display button, such as the Canon controller has. Having to reach for the remote is inconvenient--with the Varizoom, you might need a third hand!
Old February 5th, 2002, 08:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Vic, there is at least one model that does have a Data button. It is the VZ-Pro-LX. This one also has Rec Search + - buttons for cueing the tape when in Record Pause.
Old February 5th, 2002, 08:53 PM   #19
Quantum Productions

How come the most expensive is always the best?!!!
I think I only care about zoom, focus & stop/start without touching the camera,( eg: Reception speeches at a wedding.)
probably the "Stealth" for me anyway. It appears better for using the zoom (which I like the slider style!) and the focus at the same time compared with reaching on the bottom to focus! One could rest the hand on the tripod handel while using 2 fingers for zoom & focus.
But I'm glad to read the comments! I'll wait a few days before I order "just in case" I change my mind....:)

Last edited by Adam Wakely; February 5th, 2002 at 09:04 PM.
Adam Wakely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 07:37 AM   #20
Major Player

I have noticed two annoying problems with the Pro-LX model and am considering exchanging it for the Stealth or Canon ZR-1000.

1. The XL1S will not go to Standby mode when VZ is connected. This is being worked by Varizoom but I haven't heard anything from them in several weeks.

2. The zoom buttons need to be firmly depressed before zoom starts. This is not a problem, but when fully depressed, if the button is moved from side to side without lifting the finger, the zoom may stop and start unpredictably. Has anyone else noticed this?

My first Pro-LX was replaced by Varizoom with both problems noted. The replacement has the same sticky button problem but I'm waiting until they get the Standby problem fixed before assuming this is a feature rather than a problem.
Old February 6th, 2002, 05:14 PM   #21
Major Player

The more I read about these puppies, the more I'm inclined to stick with my ZR-1000. Once you've mastered the "feel" of the zoom rocker, it works pretty well and has all the required features.

The only issue I've had with mine was needing to fabricate a different clamp when I moved to the Bogen 503 head -- the handle is larger than the design of the controller can accomadate.
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:07 AM   #22
bingalls

I am a real fan of the VZ-Pro-LX. It was the 1st investment I made after buying my XL1 and I use it on every shoot. Granted the layout of the buttons could be better, but standby, data buttons (onscreen), zoom, focus, all work great. With the new rocker arm it should be even better.
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #23
Quantum Productions

Yes, a rocker arm! I could handel buttons for focus but I need that rocker arm for zooooooooom!
Old May 11th, 2002, 04:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

VariZoom

Hi, can anyone reccommend a UK stockist for the VariZoom lens controller?
I'm interested in the Stealth. Ayone had any good or bad experiences?
Regards David
Old May 11th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

For a list of authorized dealers, see http://www.varizoom.com/uk/

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 05:51 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I have had the stealth zoom controller. It is nice. It works well. The only problem I had with it which will seem odd b/c that was it's main purpose. It is to small. The buttons are to close together. I personaly prefer the controls that have buttons a little larger.

If that is an issue for you check out studio1store.com. There control is a little larger. For me that is nice b/c it made it easy to learn the buttons without looking. With the stealth control the buttons are so small it was a little funny. I must all for how small the stealth control is it could be the best unit for you is size is a big issue.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 07:00 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

If the VariZoom Stealth is too small, then I suggest the VariZoom PG-L which is a bit larger with a full-grown handle but still very compact. It has the intuitive rocker instead of buttons, full variable speed control with the ability to lock in any speed, plus focus controls up on the top side. I can use mine without having to look at it. Currently my favorite of the VariZoom line.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 12:44 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Varizoom Stealth

Thanks for the help. The size seems to be the common problem.
I'll take another look and let you know what I go for.
Many thanks David
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:32 AM   #29
Major Player

VariZoom

Is the PD150 equiped with control-L (LANC) control, so that you can use the VariZoom stealthzoom controler?

Has anyone used it with the PD150?

never mind - I found my answer at the varizoom site - http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/dvx.htm

Yes, it does work with the PD150.

Bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:03 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I got it when it 1st came out and I LOVE it. I might marry it. No my wife will get mad, but I use it everytime I'm on a tripod and a lot of times when I'm using my shoulder brace. Sometimes I don't attach it to the tripod handle but hold it in my hand to control zoom, focus and recording. That way I don't have to touch the tripod at all. Can you tell I'm a fan!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers