Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks again, Chris. This is the info I'm looking for. Does the Varizoom -- I'm assuming it would be the VZRock LE Compact -- does it have a variable speed control function as well as remote focus?

I have had a varizoom controller on my JVC DV5000, works great with a dial to control zoom speed (and have the separate varizoom focus control, too). Last for years.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Update: Just ordered the varizoom.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #18
Major Player

Chris, in your experience, how easy is it to get reasonable results out of the focus wheel on the ZR2000? Could you actually do an in-vision pull focus with it?

And I'm a bit confused as to whether there are any other controllers that offer a manual focus that actually works with the XH-A1?
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:27 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The Canon should fit around my Vinten Vision 3 pan handle right? What do you think of it's chances of fitting a DV Rig Pro/DV Multirig Pro handle setup?

Finally, if I were to get a 540 line, 1024x600 lcd resolution portable DVD player as a jib/outdoor monitor, basically the highest res you can get for these, do you think it would be sufficient for achieving focus in tandem given the ZR-2000's access to the onboard peak/magnifying/instant auto focus aids?

The problem, of course, would be that these top of the line portable DVD players still only accept composite input, whilst offering component output...bummer.

Anyway, I'm on the fence, because I already own a Studio ONE LCD lanc for Canon cameras that I like, simply because I like having an indepent read out and dials for telephoto and wide zoom speeds--plus I'm just used to its layout by now.

It's also pretty robustly built, never crushed it in one of my clumsier Norbit moments that's for sure...that, and the biggest sentimental benefit of all, I already own it.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #20
Major Player

Cody, can you use the focus wheel to do usable focus pulls?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
Cody, can you use the focus wheel to do usable focus pulls?
I have not tried that yet. When I do I will be shure to let you know.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Cody. My decision over which control to buy will be based on whether you can pull focus with the canon controller.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
My mini review...

Still, if you own an A1,H1 or G1 you will really find this to have all your cool new features at your finger tips.
What about using the ZR-2000 with Sony cameras, the Z1U in particular? Do you know which controls work?

Thanks
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Just answered my own question at my local retailer by trying the ZR-2000 with my Z1U. The only controls that work are on/off, data screen on/off and variable zoom. The following do not work with the Z1U: Push-auto focus, manual/auto focus switch, AE, magnify, and peaking.

So I bought the Manfrotto 321 Pro and am delighted. Has a great feel and solid construction. All of its controls work. I was especially interested in having push-auto focus. The unique extra controls on the Canon would have been nice to have, but were not critical to my purchase decision. And the Manfrotto is designed to nicely fit on a pro pan handle and comes with rubber cushioning to avoid scraping the paint (unlike the Canon). And the Manfrotto was $100 cheaper.
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions?

Anyone tried the ZR-2000 with their A1 yet? I bought the ZR-1000 and tried it out but I wasn't satisfied with the results - it's virtually impossible to feather into a nice slow zoom. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the zoom motor on the A1 or a limitation of the ZR-1000. I noticed the ZR-2000 has more than double the number of zoom speeds on the dial, so I wonder if it might be better equipped to ramp up to a nice slow zoom on the A1. Thanks.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I have one, but I've never tried that, to be honest. I'll dink around with it and let you know.
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Yeah thanks I'd very curious to know if you can get a nice slow start and finish on a zoom.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #28
Trustee

Even, while you're playing with it, can you please check if it has a "push auto focus" function that works with the A1? Thanks.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #29
Major Player

i've had no problems with the zr-1000.
what's the issue?
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #30
Regular Crew

The issue is that I can't seem to feather into a zoom without getting extraordinarily lucky. The controller just seems uneven in ramping up and down on zooms. Are you able to get a nice smooth start and finish on your zooms? I'm used to using large cameras with pro rear zoom controls by Canon And Fujinon - so maybe I'm expecting too much from this little device, or maybe it's a limitation of the camera itself.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers