Canon ZR-2000 zoom control opinions? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old April 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #31
Major Player

yes, very smooth on 1-5. it works just as well with the A1 as it does with the
Xl1-s and GL2.

i take it you are on a tripod? so, just make sure auto-focus and anti-shake are both off. on slow zooms its going to look for objects at different focal lengths and also compensate.

on the remote, it's not on the "v" setting right? i've also got zoom speed on the cam switched to "c." ( that may not matter at all.)

you may also just have a faulty remote.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
yes, very smooth on 1-5. it works just as well with the A1 as it does with the
Xl1-s and GL2.

i take it you are on a tripod? so, just make sure auto-focus and anti-shake are both off. on slow zooms its going to look for objects at different focal lengths and also compensate.

on the remote, it's not on the "v" setting right? i've also got zoom speed on the cam switched to "c." ( that may not matter at all.)

you may also just have a faulty remote.
I think we may be talking about different things. The zoom speed itself is fine, no complaints - the problem is when I'm in a wide shot and want to tighten up, normally the idea is to gently ease into the zoom, with the ZR-1000 I found it almost impossible. The move begins suddenly and ends suddenly - there is no ramp up or ramp down. This is essential for broadcast quality moves, so I'm still wondering if the A1 is incapable, or the ZR-1000 is incapable?
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Well, I've done a little testing, and on 16x it definitely seems to jump into the zoom quickly. How about starting with 1x and then turning the knob to whatever zoom speed you need? That seems fairly smooth. I'm no expert, so more testing might be required.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:15 PM   #34
Major Player

I just came across this thread & can't imagine it just died where it did. I believe Kipjaz was obviously talking about the zoom in variable mode, not constant. Any speed setting in constant mode will abruptly start or stop. Variable obviously wouldn't.

I too would like to know anyone's experiences with the ZR-2000, pro & con.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Yep, variable mode is a must. I'm beginning to think not many people are using the ZR-2000 in this way, so perhaps no one can really comment. I returned my ZR-1000 as it was unusable for any critical moves.
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #36
Major Player

Kipjaz, I could be wrong, but I think it's relative to the zoom speed setting you have on the A1. Meaning if you have the A1 set to C (constant), you're going to get that abrupt start/stop on any controller. If the A1 is set to VAR, you should get what you expect. But, this still may not work well with the older 1000 unit, but may with the 2000.

Maybe a quick call to someone that has both the A1 & ZR-2000 in stock and/or display, could shed some light.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Any more experiences/ info?

How are they holding up?

Does VAR zoom setting allow you to slooowly and smoothly creep out of a full-wide or full-tele shot into a slow zoom?
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM   #38
New Boot

I'm going to echo Shaun's question... is a zoom creep > ramp to faster zoom possible with the ZR-2000? in order to do this, do you need to manually dial up the zoom speed selector as you zoom, or is it possible by "feathering" the zoom rocker directly? also, is it dependent on the camera setting or no?

Also, I'd love to hear somebody weigh in on the sturdiness factor, specifically anyone who has been using this in the field... everybody is commenting on the plastic/delicate build of it... how's it fare in real world use?

has anybody machined an aluminum case for it? I'm sure there's a market for it! ;)

Cheers!

-joe
Joe Bourguignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Focus wheel

Does anyone have any feedback on how well the focus wheel on the ZR-2000 works with the A1? Is it as accurate/responsive as the focus ring on the lens?

Dave
Dave Uriarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #40
New Boot

*bump*

just wanted to re-iterate my above questions about sturdiness and zoom creep abilities...

can anybody weigh in who has used this controller for a while? cheers!

-joe
Joe Bourguignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #41
Major Player

Please can anyone tell me if the ZR-2000 is any good for focus pulling?

I don't want a controller for zoom control just focus
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #42
Major Player

ZR-2000 Focus Wheel Responsiveness with XH A1

Please can anyone offer any insight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Uriarte View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on how well the focus wheel on the ZR-2000 works with the A1? Is it as accurate/responsive as the focus ring on the lens?

Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers