DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   rather good or bad? music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/122922-rather-good-bad-music-video.html)

Andzei Matsukevits June 2nd, 2008 08:07 AM

rather good or bad? music video

hello,
i directed following video, but not quite sure whether its a good or a bad video. I know that there are some good ideas and a lot of bad scenes, but can't get overall opinion about the video.

Its probably amusing to watch it, but for me, as director/editor, will this video rather be good work in my portfolio or not?

720p and 576p files are located here: www.fff.ee/stem2

(Youtube link with bad quality of video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XBw-8z3lKPQ)

Carole Holli June 3rd, 2008 01:11 AM

Its got some really fun ideas. But I wouldn't put the whole thing in. For me it was tough to sit through as its not my style of music. So that might not work in your favor. But of course you would know your audience.

Pick your best sequences and intersperse them within the rest of your reel (as there are some places where the lighting wasn't as strong as it could be) So you want to cut around the weaker things and favor the stronger parts.

Great work though.

Carole

Philip Gioja June 3rd, 2008 05:26 AM

I really enjoyed it - not my favorite music, but I thought you had a lot of creative ideas and it was fun to watch.

I was a little worried that it was building up to some kind of gory ending, which it didn't, but I wasn't sure what it built up to - wasn't sure that the ending wrapped it up. I did like the janitor thing - that was clever.

Jamal M. Johnson June 6th, 2008 09:02 PM

Nice work!

I loved the video! Your b-roll shots were perfect, your performance scenes were amazing, your colors gave it a noir type feel (colorful but moody at the same time)

I don't really see where you could have improves at.

Very good job!

Jamal "Jag" Johnson
Http://www.MusicVideoTrainingCenter.com

Bill Mecca June 9th, 2008 09:19 AM

some very good ideas, I liked the synch with the drums beats at the head, though watching on youtube it seemed to loose synch after a bit. Not my style of music, I have to admit I just don't get the vocal style, but now I'm starting to sound like my parents! LOL (they could never understand Springsteen.)

Brian Keith Moody June 9th, 2008 09:45 AM

Good and bad are relative terms and don't really mean a whole lot. It's not my kind of music (I'm more an Earth, Wind & Fire kinda guy) but I thought you did an excellent job. Looks like the same kind of videos I see on MTV.

Dennis Murphy June 9th, 2008 01:58 PM

I loved it. A nice cross of hard-core with some soft extremes like the guitarist wearing the Brady Bunch outfit and the pink teddy bear bass drum beaters.
I specifically loved the syncopated bit at the start where day to day activities were timed with the groove.
My only critcism is the bit where it cuts to the window cleaner dude singing along on his walkman - it seems like the transition needs to be softer from an audio pov.

Cheers!

Ash Greyson June 21st, 2008 06:04 PM

Great job. Why? The music is horrible and I still watched the entire thing. I liked the spin, not totally original (what music video is these days?) but well executed for sure.

ash =o)

Andzei Matsukevits June 23rd, 2008 01:10 AM

thanks for great comments. Just to add, eventhough the music is quite metal, it still got aired on MTV Baltic. I dont expect high rotation, but still good news for us....

Jimmy Moss June 25th, 2008 11:22 PM

I thought it was awesome. Very humorous, guy head banging on the stairs with the blue overalls cracked me up.

Richard Gooderick June 28th, 2008 08:32 AM

Hated the music but the concept was good and video worked well.

I could only stand a couple of minutes of the music. Sorreee.

Julian Shapiro June 28th, 2008 03:17 PM

I have no idea how this isn't getting more glowing replies! This was incredibly well done.

Color grading was beautiful, editing was very fluid... and it was moderately engaging.

Here are my questions: What was your workflow like and what did you use to import footage (ie. AspectHD)? Also, what did you use to color correct? And... what type of export settings did you use for your WMV profile?

I'd love to achieve what you have.

Andzei Matsukevits June 30th, 2008 07:41 AM

thanks a lot,

workflow: We shot on P2 cards, then imported them onto hard drive through laptop with PCMCI(or something) slot. Then dragged all MXF files to Premiere Pro 2. My PC is quite old, to edit HD in real time I use Raylight, which is wonderful program.

For color correction I used also Premiere pro 2. Some masking was done in AE.

Although many people hate .wmv for some reason, I still can't get better results with any other format. I exported video from premiere timeline, selecting file-export-adobe media encoder. There I selected preset, called 720p/25 WMV or something. This way you get high quality video which is about 150mb. You can also get 50mb file, by making custom settings(set reso to 1280x720, constant bitrate to 2000 and quality to 100%)

Guest July 1st, 2008 04:23 PM

to echo what was said before, this video was great but the music made it difficult to play the whole way through. very good work.