rather good or bad? music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Major Player

rather good or bad? music video

hello,
i directed following video, but not quite sure whether its a good or a bad video. I know that there are some good ideas and a lot of bad scenes, but can't get overall opinion about the video.

Its probably amusing to watch it, but for me, as director/editor, will this video rather be good work in my portfolio or not?

720p and 576p files are located here: www.fff.ee/stem2

(Youtube link with bad quality of video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XBw-8z3lKPQ)
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Its got some really fun ideas. But I wouldn't put the whole thing in. For me it was tough to sit through as its not my style of music. So that might not work in your favor. But of course you would know your audience.

Pick your best sequences and intersperse them within the rest of your reel (as there are some places where the lighting wasn't as strong as it could be) So you want to cut around the weaker things and favor the stronger parts.

Great work though.

Carole
Carole Holli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I really enjoyed it - not my favorite music, but I thought you had a lot of creative ideas and it was fun to watch.

I was a little worried that it was building up to some kind of gory ending, which it didn't, but I wasn't sure what it built up to - wasn't sure that the ending wrapped it up. I did like the janitor thing - that was clever.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Nice work!

I loved the video! Your b-roll shots were perfect, your performance scenes were amazing, your colors gave it a noir type feel (colorful but moody at the same time)

I don't really see where you could have improves at.

Very good job!

Jamal "Jag" Johnson
Http://www.MusicVideoTrainingCenter.com
Jamal M. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Major Player

some very good ideas, I liked the synch with the drums beats at the head, though watching on youtube it seemed to loose synch after a bit. Not my style of music, I have to admit I just don't get the vocal style, but now I'm starting to sound like my parents! LOL (they could never understand Springsteen.)
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Good and bad are relative terms and don't really mean a whole lot. It's not my kind of music (I'm more an Earth, Wind & Fire kinda guy) but I thought you did an excellent job. Looks like the same kind of videos I see on MTV.
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Major Player

I loved it. A nice cross of hard-core with some soft extremes like the guitarist wearing the Brady Bunch outfit and the pink teddy bear bass drum beaters.
I specifically loved the syncopated bit at the start where day to day activities were timed with the groove.
My only critcism is the bit where it cuts to the window cleaner dude singing along on his walkman - it seems like the transition needs to be softer from an audio pov.

Cheers!
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Trustee

Great job. Why? The music is horrible and I still watched the entire thing. I liked the spin, not totally original (what music video is these days?) but well executed for sure.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM   #9
Major Player

thanks for great comments. Just to add, eventhough the music is quite metal, it still got aired on MTV Baltic. I dont expect high rotation, but still good news for us....
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I thought it was awesome. Very humorous, guy head banging on the stairs with the blue overalls cracked me up.
Jimmy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Major Player

Hated the music but the concept was good and video worked well.

I could only stand a couple of minutes of the music. Sorreee.
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I have no idea how this isn't getting more glowing replies! This was incredibly well done.

Color grading was beautiful, editing was very fluid... and it was moderately engaging.

Here are my questions: What was your workflow like and what did you use to import footage (ie. AspectHD)? Also, what did you use to color correct? And... what type of export settings did you use for your WMV profile?

I'd love to achieve what you have.

Last edited by Julian Shapiro; June 28th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.
Julian Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Major Player

thanks a lot,

workflow: We shot on P2 cards, then imported them onto hard drive through laptop with PCMCI(or something) slot. Then dragged all MXF files to Premiere Pro 2. My PC is quite old, to edit HD in real time I use Raylight, which is wonderful program.

For color correction I used also Premiere pro 2. Some masking was done in AE.

Although many people hate .wmv for some reason, I still can't get better results with any other format. I exported video from premiere timeline, selecting file-export-adobe media encoder. There I selected preset, called 720p/25 WMV or something. This way you get high quality video which is about 150mb. You can also get 50mb file, by making custom settings(set reso to 1280x720, constant bitrate to 2000 and quality to 100%)
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM   #14

to echo what was said before, this video was great but the music made it difficult to play the whole way through. very good work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work