Our new film "At Confession" - please take a look. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 17th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #31
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Franco : <<<-- Originally posted by Mark Moore :
Yes, in retrospect I do think the opening scenes were cut a bit too quickly. But when we were editing we just felt we needed to get the viewer to the story and not let the movie drag with too long of an intro. -->>>

What might of worked better is one or two shots -- exterior of church, followed by interior of church. Instead you have a series of quick shots that all say the same thing: that we're in a church.

But besides that I really liked this. I think you could have used some tighter shots of the actor's faces and props -- like in the bathroom shaving sequence and the ring in the bathroom -- but that's just my personal preferences. But you're already worlds above me in skill. The scenes in the confessional look excellent.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Truly impressive, that's an awesome short.
The only thing I don't like is the effect of the gun going off. It looks fake to me and then follows by a wipe or something. But I did watch about 9 or 10 times now, so I'm getting kind of critical.
I've used the same US Airways airplane shot on one of my vacation videos. That park's a great place to get close shots of planes coming in. Did the security people give you any trouble shooting there?
Cliff Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I found it to be a very great short!
Really one of the most interesting shorts I saw.
(Then again I think I haven't seen so very much shorts in comparison with a lot of people here)

Very beautiful music by the way!
And your twist in your story is superb.
Especially what the priest says before... you know what, I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen it.

Congratulations!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 03:48 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Enjoyed it. The ending was predictable during the middle of the movie imo. Great job nonetheless.
Kevin Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #35
New Boot

Fantastic. I predicted at least two scenerios for the ending, and one of them was the real ending, but it was still surprising. Great twist. Well done.

- Robert
Robert J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, we took the movie down, but it's still available to watch if on triggerstreet. Check it out if you can, and better yet give it a review. Thanks, Steve
Steve Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Is it possible for you to put it somewhere so we can download it, and save it on our computer? Or do you rather don't do that, because of rights and such?

It's because I really like it, and I love to watch it from time to time, as I do with some other movies here, but it's a little bit unconvient to download it everytime to watch it.
Could you put a link so I can save it to my computer?
If you don't want to, I understand.

Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #38
Major Player

Hey Mathieu whats up, we put the film back online, the same URL as before. We took it down because we're moving servers but that hasn't happened yet. Will be the same URL when the new site is up as well. thanks for the comments by they way, good to hear!
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #39
Major Player

thanks for the footage. SOme comments:

1) the shot sound in the end wasn't really a gunshot. It sounded like a cartoon gun to me. I had to laught for a couple of seconds.

2) the scene in the booth (the lighing) was warm and amazing

3) the movie takes too long. it is very static.

4) shaky footages in some scenes

5) use more colour in the inside house scenes (bathroom, bed, white t-shirt) . It looks very cold and VHS. The scene in the church. that was amazing.

6) try to add more audio effects (reverb, echo). use that for mixing scenes.

7) add mroe spice to the acting and more motion.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #40
Major Player

Very well done. Like others before said a little to fast of cuts in the opening. I would do slow dissolves between those shots.

Nice camera and production values. Even though I was right about the ending it still kept me watching.

Keep it up you can tell a story that's the most important thing about film making.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM   #41
Regular Crew

wow - inspiring! that's what i want to do with my xls1 too. btw, how did u transcode the film down to quicktime/wmedia? thanks, looks wonderful on the web.
jigs
Friday.
Jiggy Gaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Hi,

I just saw the film, wow, I must say, I am really slow. I didn't get the ending until I had read some posts on this forum. But once I got the ending, I enjoyed the film a lot more.

I agree, I love that shot of the plane, and especially of the main character as he was holding the roses and closing the boot of the car, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was just me, but during the whole film I didnt' really notice the 'shaking' in the church that people were talking about. Overall, I quite enjoyed the short.

Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #43
Regular Crew

I reviewed this movie on TriggerStreet

Hi there...

Yeah, I reviewed this movie on TriggerStreet on 11/11 of this year. I haven't paid a visit to this site in a month or so. Been too busy spending alot of time on TriggerStreet, thanks to Dylan Couper's suggestion regarding good websites to upload movies to.

Anyhow, check out my review. My screen name at TriggerStreet is SeaMowse. Oh, by the way, I gave you a nice review!
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Thanks for reviewing the film. Glad you enjoyed it. Also thanks for the comments Dennis. It took us awhile to get the plane shot but I think it was worth it. :)
Steve Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #45
Regular Crew

We just entered At Confession into the 50 meg contest over on

http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/news/article_321.shtml

If you haven't seen it, please give it a review over there.

Thanks. :)
Steve Franco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work