Holy Zoo Scrawler Music Video Completed! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 26th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Holy Zoo Scrawler Music Video Completed!

I thought I'd post our completed music video here and see what anyone thinks of it since we're very cloudy in the brains now. We shot in 4 days, with a lot of pre-production and mucho post as well. Grueling work, lotta personal $$$, but lots of fun!

Both the music and video are original creations.

500kbs and 1500kbs versions:

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/H...ler_500kbs.mov
http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/H...er_1500kbs.mov

Cheers!

-steev
www.holyzoo.com
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

EXCELLENT work! I really enjoyed this. Very good lighting and
feel to the whole piece. Looked totally professional to me!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice lighting and editing.
Dude- just a little "dark" for me- mood wise. Prozac?
Music was great.

Nicely done overall.

Jeff P
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #4
New Boot

That was awesome. Did you use the mini35 on that? The video looked great, the music was awesome... Lots of production value in both...
Patrick Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

:) :) :)

Thanks for the good words guys! I used a GL1 on the first 2 days of shooting, and was disappointed with the results, so I purchased an XL2 with 16X Manual lens (with Century Wide adapter here and there) and shot the rest on the 3rd and 4th days about one month later. The GL1 footage was Twixtor'd to 24p in After Effects and scaled up to match the XL2 16:9 24p. Then all finished in Final Cut Pro HD in DV50. I had been working on my home-brew mini35 leading up to the final shoot days but didn't have it ready in time. My thoughts are that I wasn't hurt too much by the lack of the 35mm with this style/genre.

I'm looking forward to doing a project less dark, less fast cuts, and shoot with the 35mm adapter for longer holding shots, etc. Question is do I shoot solely with the 35mm adapter? Or mix up the footage? I guess some people with experience with the P+S unit could shed light on workflow.

Also, Magic Bullet Editors rocks!
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #6
New Boot

I think it looked awesome... You used Magic Bullet Editor? Awesome, I haven't bought that yet (I was trying to decide between that and the full Suite version). It looked terrific... I say, definitely mix the footage... Not every shot is going to need shallow focus. Citizen Kane was shot in very deep focus for the most part. So are who are you in the video? Or did you just shoot it? Anyways, I loved the horror motif and the Forbiden Plantet reference... awesome.
Patrick Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again. Magic Bullet in Final Cut Pro was great although very very slow. Their film damage effects are among the best as well. Only greater thing might be Tinderbox for AE?

Good to hear the notion of mixing footage with the 35mm.

I'm the main creepo dude throughout the thing. It was very challenging to be the main character and also be one of the main directors. My drummer Kenny Pardo was the other half to 60% effort on all this. And thankfully my good friend Pasquale came in to shoot the full band shots. So we had 3 people behind the camera at differering times.

The worst part of the entire process --> removing the black grease makeup off my being (it took an hour and a half). :|
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Major Player

main creepo dude--!

Steev, which Century wide adapter did you shoot with?
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #9
Major Player

John, I bought the .6x Wide Angle Adapter from Adorama.com (Half the price of the .7x with zoom-through). I don't see it on their website now though.

It's available through ZGC though.
http://tinyurl.com/4znxo

It's the one at the bottom - VS-06WA-MXL

I wasn't too happy with how you need to focus it by going into Macro mode and calibrating focus by eye. On the GL1 I was used to just going wide, and throwing on a wide angle converter and call it done (in focus).
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Major Player

The video was awesome. I was blown away by the quality of work done with it.
I'm also a major fan of that disturbingish style.

I am confused...are you part of the band or what?

If you were paid to do this video what was the budget?

Keep up the excellent work!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Purely on the imagery this is a solid piece of work. I loved it; visual eye candy forever. Great work. I look forward to seeing what else you do.

The song was so bad I had to turn it off (volume) midway through however; can you say dissonant with a Capital D ?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #12
Major Player

Brandon, I'm the lead singer, guitarist, recording engineer, etc. When my drummer and I set out to make the video, it was clear that I was to be the main character. It made for a challenging time. The budget besides the investment in the XL2 was about $2000 for props, expendables, lighting rental, etc. There was no paid talent or crew.

John, the song was created about 7 years ago actually, right before finishing college - not a cheery time. But then again I've always been into dark music. I appreciate your honest criticism though. We had access to a condemned building (an old tile factory) and decided that song would inspire the most intense project.

Here's something more melodic. :)

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/audio/s...hat_A_Life.mp3
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #13
Major Player

Well, you did'nt ask my opinion on the actual music :P Yeah, anytime I hear dissanance my ears and brain collide in a bad way; I love everything from The Cramps to Rage to The Beatles and to The Cure. I remember Alice in Chains (ONe of my all time favorites) released a song once that had the 'bad diss' going on in the chorus (I think the title was Heaven Beside You?). It pains me.

Regarding the MP3 "What a Life?" yeah; that's what I'm talking about. That's a kick ass song. Nice.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #14
Regular Crew

the link doesn't work
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #15
Regular Crew

yup

yup you need to fix the link i tried it last night and right now. not working.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work