Holy Zoo Scrawler Music Video Completed! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #16
Major Player

I requested an edit to fix the links. I've been restructuring the site. Here are fixed links.

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/h...ler_500kbs.mov

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/h...er_1500kbs.mov

steev
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #17
New Boot

Wow that was incredible. Loved every last bit of it. I noticed you said you used Twixtor to convert to 24p... I've been messing around with the program myself and haven't had much luck. Is there any tips, advice or links you could share for the twixtor to 24p conversion. Thank you again, the video was very inspiring.
Will Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for the good words Will.

I used Twixtor to convert footage shot at 30fps on a Canon GL1 camera in frame mode, to 24fps. Ideally they say to shoot in interlaced mode, not frame mode, but I hate interlaced with a passion by now. So, I placed the 30fps footage (actually 29.97fps) in an After Effects comp at a frame rate of 29.97. Call that comp (Pre-Comp) and make sure it's long enough in duration to cover how much you're wanting to slow down, like 2X slow should be in a comp at least 2X as long as the clip duration. Now place that Pre-Comp in a new comp called Final Comp at a frame rate of 23.98. Apply Twixtor as an effect to the Pre-Comp.

Now in Twixtor, there are two settings, input and output frame rate. The input frame rate is 29.97. The output frame rate is 23.98. You can adjust the speed via the Twixtor parameter "Stretch/Speed" - The greater the number the slower the footage. Using Motion Vectors can achieve morphing between frames to achieve a smoother look. However, this can also result in strange looking footage depending on how much variation there is from frame to frame. Twixtor Pro enable a lot of custom manipulation of Motion Vectors, but I haven't gotten that far into it. I think all other parameters can be left at default, or you can experiment with them and see what they do.

On one shot I used Twixtor twice. Once to slow down the footage without motion vectors, then ran it through again, WITH motion vectors. It's the shot after the baby drops (in black and white).

If you have shots specifically planned for slow motion. Interlaced is probably the best way to go since you can essentially treat the footage as if it was shot at 60fps. It requires another plugin - FieldsKit. I didn't do this on any of the footage.

Here's an excellent tutorial on doing this and other tweaking with Twixtor:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/...iew/index.html

p.s. You can also use Twixtor in Final Cut Pro, the process is different, but doable. I used Twixtor a few times right in Final Cut as well.
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #19
New Boot

Thank you for taking the time and writing all of that, it was very-very helpful! One last question, when you are going through that twixtor process you described at the end how did you render it. Did you use the comps frame rate of 23.98, or did you apply some sort of Pulldown... thank you so much for all your help!
Will Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #20
Major Player

I rendered straight out at 23.98, and rendered to DV50 codec. Uncompressed would've been even better, but I was happy to be able to edit without rendering.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:47 PM   #21
Major Player

Steev, Great stuff! I like the music, the shooting, editing and great costumes! Pardo is great on drums. The funky stick-ish bass is a prop, right?

My one complaint is the solo shots of you, looks like in front of a green screen, where there are multiple Steevs. It screams video and looks cheesy which really takes away from the atmosfear of the creepy location shots before and after it.

Other than that, hats off, top notch suff!
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #22
Major Player

Mark, thanks for the good words - they mean a lot. The stick-ish bass is definitely a prop. :) Scott Chavez built that among many other gadgets and stage stuff.

I take the one complaint you have in a great way. It confirms my intention succeeded, at least on the level of "getting" that stupid old video look that has historically been a big thing in music videos. The most optimistic view I had during production was that it's homage to that style, and presents a shade of comedy and destruction of seriousness, amidst all the darkness and "atmosfear" <- Man! that is a great term! We've always had a big circus freak style to us, and that part was pretty much basking in it with no shame, and a chance to throw some homegrown motion graphics crap in there too. :)

Here's the other side to it (reality!). We ran out of time to do our intended shot - walking down hallway, while dragging the chick through a crowd of gimpy weirdos off to the side, separately lit, with closeups of those freaks doing some wacked out things. Green screen to the rescue!
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #23
Major Player

Bring out the Gimp.

Ah, I see. Sh*t happens, good save. Keep 'em coming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work