DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   UFO short film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/15731-ufo-short-film.html)

Daniel Broadway October 13th, 2003 08:10 PM

UFO short film

Hey guys. I just finished up a UFO short film to test some visual effects and to premote our college campus televison network (heance the 4CTV in the film). I know this isn't very professional filmmaking, so please forgive the bad audio, and the bad cinemetography. However, I did apply the detinterlace blend technique for a film look. It was shot on a Canon GL2, and then film looked in the computer. Let me know what you think......

http://www.innervisionstudios.net/oe/UFOcommercial.mov

Dylan Couper October 13th, 2003 10:36 PM

Yeah, not bad at all!

I didn't expect much, but the effects were really good. Nice work!
The dialogue/acting was, ah, so-so, but after the lazer battle, I forgot about it. I want more explosions next time though.

Ryan Morris October 13th, 2003 10:43 PM

Hey man that was great, you're right the cinematography was cheesy, but the UFO, lasers, damaged sign and space stuff was cool. What was your timeline? I think with a better story, you could make something in the style of a 50's UFO flick pretty easily. Kind of like "Mars Attacks!", anyway just my two cents worth.
L8R
Ryan

Matt Gettemeier October 14th, 2003 07:02 AM

Jeez dude, how'd you guys do all those effects? Since this is supposed to be a forum for dv film-makers you could really help some of us with a little info on the programs and technique.

You deserve major props for this one! As the opener played out I thought, "yeah, the effects here are good!", and then that turned out to be NOTHING compared to the rest of 'em.

You guys needed a wireless mic or decent boom for the dialog though... on my system it came out as low and not nearly as clean as the rest of the audio... maybe it was just my computer?

Anyway, with the Star Trek effects completing the short I actually got a shiver of goosebumps... right down my back... I would love to think that I could use quality like this in my own silly productions when the story calls for it. The other responses to this made me want to check it out, but the enthusiasm isn't high enough for what I just saw... there are early episodes of Star Trek TNG that had effects no better then yours.

So if you have a moment... give it UP! Help us down here with some info on those effects!

I gots to get me some of them scenes... (think "buddy lee")

Jim Quinlan October 15th, 2003 08:15 AM

That really blew me away ! Excellent special effects. Please elaborate on the techniques you used to create them.

Daniel Broadway October 15th, 2003 09:05 AM

Well, I simply used Discreet 3ds Max for the 3D animation of the UFO. I used Adobe After Effects for the compositing and the other effects.

Steve Nunez October 15th, 2003 09:09 AM

Daniel,

excellent job- as you can see many of us were impressed with your video and special effects- keep them coming and post links here- we'd love to see more.

John Hudson October 15th, 2003 04:23 PM

As everyone has mentioned AWESOME EFFECTS! WOW! Somebody get this guys number!

As far as the actual 'filmaking' part, well, er, uh, hmmmm....

Mike Moncrief October 15th, 2003 06:26 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to say Very good job Daniel.. I thought the effects were well done, and your ability to tell a story and layout all the shots were excellent..Even if the acting was OK.. You should be encouraged by this piece!! keep at it!!

Thanks for sharing it with us..

Mike

Greg Boston October 15th, 2003 09:06 PM

I downloaded this also. Great job with the special effectts. I really like the way you had the UFO 'hovering" in the sky. Those are the little details that separate so so from awesome. Keep up the good work.

-gb-

Daniel Broadway October 16th, 2003 11:15 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

As for the filmmaking and the acting, I'm not a filmmaker, or an actor, I'm a visual effects artist. So I applogize..ha ha.

Dylan Couper October 16th, 2003 02:54 PM

Hey Daniel,
how long did the effects take to do?

Randy Reyes October 17th, 2003 05:06 AM

Hi! Just wanted to say that you did a great job with the special effects, as well as the sound effects too! Nicely integrated... :] But I do think that the clip could've been cut shorter. I think your story would've packed more punch if there was much more fluidity in the action. Still, overall it was very entertaining and I was impressed with the compositing!!

Daniel Broadway October 17th, 2003 07:30 PM

It took about 3 weeks from start to finish to complete the visual effects. I worked on them for about 3 hours per day Mon-Fri.

Ozzie Leon October 28th, 2003 07:33 AM

Dude, that was sweet I encourage you to continue your progress. I loved the way you put those special effects together.

As for everyone else don't be hating ( ha ha )