UFO short film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

UFO short film

Hey guys. I just finished up a UFO short film to test some visual effects and to premote our college campus televison network (heance the 4CTV in the film). I know this isn't very professional filmmaking, so please forgive the bad audio, and the bad cinemetography. However, I did apply the detinterlace blend technique for a film look. It was shot on a Canon GL2, and then film looked in the computer. Let me know what you think......

http://www.innervisionstudios.net/oe/UFOcommercial.mov
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yeah, not bad at all!

I didn't expect much, but the effects were really good. Nice work!
The dialogue/acting was, ah, so-so, but after the lazer battle, I forgot about it. I want more explosions next time though.
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey man that was great, you're right the cinematography was cheesy, but the UFO, lasers, damaged sign and space stuff was cool. What was your timeline? I think with a better story, you could make something in the style of a 50's UFO flick pretty easily. Kind of like "Mars Attacks!", anyway just my two cents worth.
L8R
Ryan
Ryan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Jeez dude, how'd you guys do all those effects? Since this is supposed to be a forum for dv film-makers you could really help some of us with a little info on the programs and technique.

You deserve major props for this one! As the opener played out I thought, "yeah, the effects here are good!", and then that turned out to be NOTHING compared to the rest of 'em.

You guys needed a wireless mic or decent boom for the dialog though... on my system it came out as low and not nearly as clean as the rest of the audio... maybe it was just my computer?

Anyway, with the Star Trek effects completing the short I actually got a shiver of goosebumps... right down my back... I would love to think that I could use quality like this in my own silly productions when the story calls for it. The other responses to this made me want to check it out, but the enthusiasm isn't high enough for what I just saw... there are early episodes of Star Trek TNG that had effects no better then yours.

So if you have a moment... give it UP! Help us down here with some info on those effects!

I gots to get me some of them scenes... (think "buddy lee")
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That really blew me away ! Excellent special effects. Please elaborate on the techniques you used to create them.
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I simply used Discreet 3ds Max for the 3D animation of the UFO. I used Adobe After Effects for the compositing and the other effects.
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #7
Trustee

Daniel,

excellent job- as you can see many of us were impressed with your video and special effects- keep them coming and post links here- we'd love to see more.
Old October 15th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #8
Major Player

As everyone has mentioned AWESOME EFFECTS! WOW! Somebody get this guys number!

As far as the actual 'filmaking' part, well, er, uh, hmmmm....
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello,

Just wanted to say Very good job Daniel.. I thought the effects were well done, and your ability to tell a story and layout all the shots were excellent..Even if the acting was OK.. You should be encouraged by this piece!! keep at it!!

Thanks for sharing it with us..

Mike
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #10
Wrangler

I downloaded this also. Great job with the special effectts. I really like the way you had the UFO 'hovering" in the sky. Those are the little details that separate so so from awesome. Keep up the good work.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments guys.

As for the filmmaking and the acting, I'm not a filmmaker, or an actor, I'm a visual effects artist. So I applogize..ha ha.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hey Daniel,
how long did the effects take to do?
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:06 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi! Just wanted to say that you did a great job with the special effects, as well as the sound effects too! Nicely integrated... :] But I do think that the clip could've been cut shorter. I think your story would've packed more punch if there was much more fluidity in the action. Still, overall it was very entertaining and I was impressed with the compositing!!
Randy Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

It took about 3 weeks from start to finish to complete the visual effects. I worked on them for about 3 hours per day Mon-Fri.
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Dude, that was sweet I encourage you to continue your progress. I loved the way you put those special effects together.

As for everyone else don't be hating ( ha ha )

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work