Lady X: Episode 19 released! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 12th, 2003, 03:33 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Lady X: Episode 19 released!

Lady X grabs a chance to visit an old friend and perhaps glimpse into immortality. Is it real, or the insane fantasies of a burned out scientist? At least she'll be able to take it easy in the quaint crossroads of America, land of corn, soybeans, and ultralight aircraft.

Watch Episode 19 now! Go to http://www.ladyxfilms.com and click the "Current Episode" link.

The Lady X Crew

================
Episode 19 Details:

Directed by: John M. Heskett
Produced by: John M. Heskett
Director of Photography: John M. Heskett
Camera: John M. Heskett and Chris O'Neal
Written by: Stephen Dean Adams & John M. Heskett

Audio Engineer: Stephen Dean Adams

Principal Cast: Genelle Johns (Lady X); Richard Johns (Aaron Walker); Darrick Burch (Ian Paine); Stephen Dean Adams (Doctor Random Synapses); Darrick Burch (Bad Guy 1); Derrin Dicus (Bad Guy 2); Kevin Heskett (Bad Guy 3); Jason McHarque (Bad Guy 4)

Music: Composed and performed by Stephen Dean Adams and Bazooka X
Old October 12th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello John,

Funny odd movie I must say. It shows (and proved when you look at the behind the scenes-reel, BTW great dancing professor you have!) that you guys had a great time making this LX episode. Over the top acting and action fits your approach. Great to see a plane used, it gives it a big movie feeling, nice shots from the cockpit. Some of the action scenes have some continuity errors, but who cares...! I wish I could follow all the conversations better, it must be the accent or my pc-speakers that prevent me from doing that. Good music that suited the movie.
Nice work!

Peter
Old October 12th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter,

On the Blooper reel site - the QuickTime is not streaming, but is downloading before playing. It may look like it is doing nothing, but in reality is it downloading. I think it is worth the wait just to check out the trained bear/professor.

The blooper reel is located at:
http://www.media4ministry.com/LadyX19/bloopers.html

This was a first endeavor for us alllllll. - Accent, what accent?
And we had great fun doing it. We hope this is a fun and entertaining episode for everyone.

John
Old October 12th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi John,

Your reel is streaming on my computer, using Netscape 7. But at the moment I'm checking it via Internet Explorer and so far I can see that browser first wants to download the complete movie, before it wants to play. Strange. I've had the same with my own episode 16 teaser trailer.
I've found out that it's a matter of extending the URL to the .MOV file to make it streaming under Internet Explorer.

Regards,
Peter
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nice job, John. You're the first to use so many explosions. Mind taking us through the steps on how you did it, who did it, and the cost?

Also, the overhead aerial shot that includes the ultra-light...was that taken from another ultra-light...or a plane or chopper?
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #6
Air China Pilot

John, .. wow. That ultra light. Geez.

What next for Lady X? Space travel?
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Peter I'm not sure how to extend the url out to the mov. I think I have already done that. If anyone has trouble with the blooper reel not streaming please let me know and we will try to figure it out. Or if you know how I can fix the problem.

Thanks Keith, that was the first time our Lady X had flown. She really enjoyed the flight and did very well at it. It was a two seater used for flight instruction. The instructor was in the rear seat shooting the video. The tricky stuff was done by a pilot.

I did a little bartering with a pyrotechnic company for the pyro work. I will shoot their synchronized Christmas display in exchange.
It did not turn out exactly the way we wanted, but it worked. If I were to do it again it would be out more into the road. Also we were to have had a fireball at the end which would have obscured the jeep. It got forgotten by the pyro guy. We had 16 bullet hits and one blast to the mailbox. Disclaimer - no mail was harmed in the production of this movie.

The overhead shot of the ultra light was from another ultra light flying cap. It barely turned out but I wanted it so bad I used what footage we did get.

John
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi John,

I'm not a QT expert, but hopefully this will help:

The movie at
http://home.tiscali.nl/pesie/video/zappp-med.mov
won't come streaming into Internet Explorer, using just a normal weblink to the Web-address as mentioned above.

However, if you use the following link and insert it in a webpage, then it will play like streaming video in Internet Explorer:
<EMBED ID="QuickTime1" SRC="http://home.tiscali.nl/pesie/video/zappp-med.mov" BORDER=0 HEIGHT=255 WIDTH=320 ALT="" PLUGINSPAGE="http://quicktime.apple.com" CACHE=TRUE CONTROLLER=TRUE VOLUME=256 AUTOPLAY=TRUE LOOP=FALSE NOFINSIDE="~! ~!" >

I'm not really sure which part does the trick, but it works for me.

Peter
Old October 12th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter I think that did it, but I will need to do some more testing on another computer.

John
Old October 12th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

It was a fun episode to watch. The dialog was a little tough to understand in a few places.

Loved the way the pyro worked shooting up the road. Ultralight shots were great !
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #11
Wrangler

Liked the ultralight stuff, good machinegun smoke effects.

One question, why does the mailbox blow up before the puff of gunfire happens? Am I interpreting it wrong?

Also, the diaolgue wasn't synched to the video when I watched it. Is the video like that for everyone, or did I have a moose stepping on my high speed cable line again?
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:36 AM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : John, .. wow. That ultra light. Geez.

What next for Lady X? Space travel? -->>>

Well, if you let your imagination play a bit, you might see another fine way of air travel in episode 21...
Jami Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Dylan,
The machinegun was a steel pipe with fireworks strobes (6 or 8) packed into the end which was drilled to resemble a flash suppressor and capped. We first used aluminum, but it got so hot you could see through it then the end just fell off! We were going to have one camera with a close-up and the other a medium shot. The close-up did not work and so you are not able to see the flashing star pattern even though it is there. Real Guns from real aircraft look more like what we ended up with anyway.

Mix one part Hautian accent which muddies the annunciation a bit with one part voice over and some parts are a little off. I'm hoping it is the last scene you are talking about. But compression and mr. moose may have accentuated the problem.

And yes, the gun did go off after the mailbox hit. And yet at the same time more than one gun was firing, so we left it the was it was. It was a one-take kind of thing, but we could have added it with After Effects.

Each scene was shot on different days and one scene on two different days. If you noticed we have our share of scenes and this took a toll on the talent. We learned a lot shooting this short. There is quite a bit we would do differently on the next one. Did I say, we learned a lot shooting this short. We are hooked and will certainly make more shorts in the future.
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The audio tech has a studio and uses ProTools along with a Mac. He has something which plays different instruments and sounds then he sets tempo, does other kinds of magic and layers.
Old October 14th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I've been waiting for questions about the Glock in the lab scene. As much detail as Dylan picked up I'm surprised he didn't catch something going on there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work