Show Your Work 2002 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2002, 05:05 PM   #271
Regular Crew

What is follow focus? Can somebody expalin me? Thanks,
- Srini
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:55 AM   #272
RED Code Chef

Srini, use the search feature on top of this forum to search for
"follow focus". It has been explained many times. Basically it is
the process that someone else is maintaining focus during a
shot (other than the camera operator), called a focus puller, and
usually do that through a cable of some sort or remote control.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 18th, 2002, 08:10 AM   #273
Obstreperous Rex

Cicadas (shot on XL1) screening in Austin, TX

Subject: TWIST screens "cicadas"

For Immediate Release: September 12, 2002

Monthly Film Series with TWIST begins October 6th in Austin, TX.

Tomorrow's Women In Science and Technology brings cicadas to the big screen for a showing on October 6, 2002 at 2 p.m. in Austin as part of a film series fundraiser. For $10 adult and $8 student, attendees can enjoy the first full-length feature of TWIST presenter, Kat Candler at the Alamo Drafthouse—Downtown.

Cicadas, was shot over the summer of 1999, and premiered at the 2000 Austin Heart of Film Festival. The story revolves around four teenagers trying to find strength and understanding at an age where no one could possibly understand. Cicadas received the 2000 Austin Heart of Film Festival Audience Award, Film Fest New Haven Audience Award and Digital Vision Award from the Festival of Festivals.

"TWIST teaches young girls to trust their instincts, to know that they can do anything they set their minds to. It teaches them to use their voices,” said Candler.

The first film fundraiser, which illustrated the lives of Mileva Marich and Marie Curie, was such a success that Drafthouse private party coordinator, Terrell Braly, wanted to create a permanent film series to help TWIST raise funds and highlight the work of women in science or women film producers/directors. The Alamo Drafthouse—Downtown at 409 Colorado St. will host the once a month series.

The proceeds from the screenings will be used to fund the Expanding Your Horizons conferences hosted by TWIST. The middle school girls from the Austin-area learn how much fun science, math and technology can be by participating in hands on sessions. In Candler's session the girls directed and shot their own short films using digital video cameras.

If you can’t make it to the film series, please check out the TWIST website on ways you can help. Visit www.twistinc.org for a list of volunteer and support opportunities. cicadas has not been rated yet. Candler believes the adult language in the film may give it a PG-13 rating.

Barbara Kelly
380-9922
barbfkelly@sbcglobal.net
www.twistinc.org
www.absenceofwings.com

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 23rd, 2002, 10:21 PM   #274
Major Player

It is weird how you guys are so limited.

Heya, i come from a pal country and basicly every tv, every vcr, every dvd player, pretty much the entire range of products for audio/visuals will play any standard from any part of the world.

I find it so strange that the biggest market over there in most likely the world, is limited to one system and how your tv's won't play it all.

Pal is quite superior, forgetting the rez, it is how pal does it's colours, the rez is also important, but the way the colour palatte is deduced and displayed is so superior it makes ntsc look positively horrible when compared.

kermie
Old September 24th, 2002, 02:26 PM   #275
Regular Crew

Click here to view reality "COPS" type show shot on professional Hi8

This is a series that was produced for cable. It was shot with a Sony 327a head and I believe an EVO series professional Hi8 rear end. It was shot on Hi8 ME stock and dumped to 3/4" Umatic SP for broadcast and cut with linear A/B Roll editing on Sony 3/4" VO series decks. This was my first broadcast project out of school. It aired for two seasons, I didn't make a dime and loved every minute of producing it AND it was the NUMBER 1 rated show at the Floyd County Jail by staff and residents! Talk about a captive audience! Ha!

Link:

http://community.webtv.net/JEFCom/TASKFORCE
Old September 30th, 2002, 01:49 PM   #276
dvmonkey2

Nori, heres a stupid question. You said you used the 14x lens, is that a wider lens than the 16x?

if not, can you explain the difference in the 2 lenses?

Old September 30th, 2002, 05:10 PM   #277
Wrangler

dvmonkey2,

First of all, is there a dvmonkey1? Or are you the only true dvmonkey? I don't believe it is a wider lens, it does however offer power zoom capability, two differnt types of ND filtration and an extra 2X zoom. Plus it's more expensive!

Woo hoo. Spending money is FUN!
Old October 1st, 2002, 07:14 AM   #278
dvmonkey2

Nope, I am the one and only DV monkey! hehe

But seriously, Do you or anyone else know of a web site that shows the differences in the xl1 lenses?

Old October 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM   #279
raymccalc

heterogenic trailer

A new 3D animated short is coming, Heterogenic. Trailer downloadable here
www.art5.it
By Art5

Ray

www.art5.it
ray@art5.it

Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:43 AM   #280
Regular Crew

I missed something...

What does this have anything to do with Dogme 95? It's basically a web delivery guideline vs. a shift to story and character/actor(s) vs. all the plagues of major motion picture production. I miss where these tenets, if they even come close to that definition, focus on content, which I thought Dogme 95 was a push towards.

I agree with most things said on the consumer term 'the digital revolution' but in large ways it simply been a way to sell more cameras to a larger market, because content and storytelling is still the problem, whether it's film or video. I make a very sharp destinction about not going down the digital vs. film road because it's simply an economics talk in the end between the mediums. You can make as many films or shorts as you want, but when it does come down to a discussion about delivery to an actual viewing market, film gets distribution, period. It's cruel and unfair, but theatrical distribution here in the states is so expensive (including marketing/advertising). The web as a delivery method is only really alive at the two major portals, in my opinion, ifilm.com and atomfilms.com, which ask for exclusive distribution rights often. So story is still the strongest card I can play.

I do like the idea that this guy has a set of rules for himself that he measures himself by. That's pretty ballsy. I think it would be great to start a website that criticizes the Dogme 95 office for charging their $3000 to qualify your film, not to mention it's implication of final academy film standard/delivery, which added to the three grand will guarantee the film will never wear the Dogme 95 brand. A friend of mine reflects on the Dogme 95 idea as a very European 'alergy' because filmmakers/videomakers here in the US have bigger troubles. But a move towards story and characters, when explosions and cgi is the major fad is great. It will great if the swing is completely the other way, and a new Dogme will be seeking visual drunkery 20 years down the road, but I doubt it. Take care and thanks for giving me some beautiful things to read before bed.

christian
nebunule films
nebunule.com
Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:24 AM   #281

No one said it has anything to do with Dogme 95. It is "similar" to it in that a set of rules was laid down, in this case for web cinema. I think it was done tongue-in-cheek.

I agree with you when you say more emphasis should be placed on story/character, rather than the gadgets used to tell the story. However, this debate (complaint?) has been ongoing for nearly 30 years! Alas, we live in a time when gadgets rule.

Yes, story (character) is the strongest card any filmmaker can play. And when it is played, and played well, that film will rise to the top. Having said that, it may not rise to the top immediately. It may take years, or even a generation or two, but it will rise.

Fads come and go. Art endures time.
Old October 4th, 2002, 07:04 AM   #282
dvmonkey2

Im assuming nobody knows what im talking about, eh?

Old October 4th, 2002, 07:22 AM   #283
Obstreperous Rex

Please make sure you're posting to the proper forum. This question belongs in the XL1 Lens & optics area.

See my "Guide to XL1 Lens Options" at the XL1 Watchdog, www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 15th, 2002, 06:53 PM   #284

DV Documentaries

Here's a good source for information for those of you who are interested in documentaries. They refer to it as a "cookbook," we're using it as our "bible."

http://journalism.berkeley.edu/program/courses/dv/cookbook.html
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:09 PM   #285
Major Player

Jay,

Great find! It is rather timely as we are working on the development of our next project/documentary.

Thanks!
Houston, Texas
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work