Show Your Work 2002 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old October 29th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #301

Cool, Ray. When will the finished animation be ready for viewing?
Old November 3rd, 2002, 06:21 PM   #302
Trustee

Spike Lee's "Bamboozled" and it's quality

Hi all. I watch bamboozled last night and was actually quite shocked at the poor quality of the footage. I know there probably was a certain about of creative decision to have that look, but I was surprised that the trailer on the net looked a LOT better. Is that a resolution issue more than anything, or does anyone thing that more effort was put into post processing that trailer to get it looking nicer?

Just interested to see what people think.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 06:48 PM   #303
Wrangler

Bamboozled was shot on SONY VX1000s. (Incidentally, I confirmed this with Spike Lee in person!) I don't know any more about post processing on the footage.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 3rd, 2002, 08:02 PM   #304
Trustee

Robert, reading my post again, I realise I didn't explicitly say it but I knew it was a video shoot. I thought it was VX2000's but it's interesting to know it was VX1000's.

The trailer looked really good and less "like video" than the actual movie I saw and that made me curious.

By the way, I really liked the movie. There is one bit at the end when there is a montage of clips from old tv shows, cartoons and movies where one white guy, who is dressing himself up with the "black" makeup which is being help by his black servant says "This stuff is hard to get on, and to remove....You really have it lucky'. It just stunned me, I was not expecting that. So check it out anyone if you haven't already.

Thanks
Old November 4th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #305
Major Player

It was shot on a vX1000, and I thought it looked good. You know it's video and I believe the DP went on to win an award for her DV cinematopgrahy (Ellen Kuras). Some short won at sundance and other places. She also lensed Blow for the Late Ted Demme and i think Jim brown All American for Spike Lee.
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:58 PM   #306
Regular Crew

Journeys w/ George

Looks like this flick on HBO was all shot with a trv900. Not 100% sure, as it's miniDV and Sony, so I'm assuming it's done with the 900, but since I didn't see the lens hood, I almost wonder.

I guess the documentarist was originally working for NBC which is also what leads me to think it was a 3chipper. Then again, why wouldn't they get her a pd100a?

Maybe someone else knows?
Old November 7th, 2002, 04:53 AM   #307
Regular Crew

huh?

what does this have anything to do with this site?
i'm sorry. i don't get it? isn't this just spam?

christian
nebunule films
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:01 AM   #308
New Boot

It was a sony something.
That flick was really funny.
Old November 13th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #309
Trustee

Another shot on Digital Movie

Rented "The Anniversary Party" last night as I'm doing a scene from it for my acting class and was interested to get some backstory to the situation and in the special features there was this "Anatomy of a scene" section where they talked about the movie and how it was shot on digital. I don't know what HD digital cams look like so I couldn't tell if it was HD or what, but you can see the operators using them. Does anyone know what those cams are?

I haven't seen many DV movies and I was very surprised that this was DV because it was really nice to look at and very well made and lit, in my humble viewers opinion.

Thinking back to it now I noticed that sometimes the scene would go "slightly" darker for about 1/4 a second then light again and pulse that way a bit then return to normal and then remembered that there was a discussion about this sort of thing while back where someone was having this issue. Wonder if it's the same thing?

Anyway, it's an excellent movie and dv to boot. See it.

BTW: My scene is the one where Joe and Sally are looking for the Dog, Otis. Damned stressful..;)
Old November 14th, 2002, 02:25 AM   #310
Wrangler

The Anniversary Party was shot by noted cinematographer John Bailey using PAL Sony DSR-500's, which are high-end DV cameras (2/3" native 16:9 chips).
Old November 15th, 2002, 12:31 PM   #311
Major Player

* * Film/digital Festivals * *

I am casting out to all community members and non-members who have been to any film/digital festival.

I have Chris Gore's Survival Guide, but I need information regarding press packages.

Has anyone made one? Have you made one for your movie? Have you made one for advertising/ or whatever?

I would also like this thread to start a conversation or two regarding this.

Cheers!

Derrick
Old November 15th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #312
Air China Pilot

When I was in student media covering films I used to get hundreds of packages every year. This is what I remember about them.

- Interesting packaging makes people pick them out of the pile. Even student reviewers are a cynical bunch and it takes an inventive package to make them pick it out of a pile. The most interesting package I remember was from "The War of the Roses", the Danny Devito black comedy about a bitter divorce between Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas. The package was made like a wedding photo album. I still have that one.

- Include 8x10 photos of the stars, the director and spectacular screens.

- Put the contact information on the folder package itself. The loose papers tend to get mangled or lost. Better yet, put the contact information on EVERY paper and element.

- SWAG: includes a poster. You never know when an interesting poster might end up being stuck on a wall. You might want to look into cheap items that will remind the reviewer of your movie.

- Paper elements: advanced reviews, pre-answered interviews (for those papers who don't have the resources for actually setting up real interviews), bios for all principals, background sheets for the making of the film, clippings.

Putting together a good package is expensive because getting beautiful printing done in short runs is not economical. Unfortunately, you cannot count on press or people at festivals having access to the Internet so you can't just say go to our website. HOWEVER, you MUST have something on your business card and on any packaging material that has your website. And MAKE SURE your website is the project specific domain. Nothing looks more cheap than a free-hosting situation.

I would include a hard-stock card containing a blurb, contact, website information that is more distinctive than anything in the package. This is in case the person who receives the package has to throw away the rest of it but wants to keep something bigger than the business card.
Old November 15th, 2002, 06:37 PM   #313
_redone_

also note that the anniversary party was shot according to Dogme 95' films

http://www.dogme95.dk/

this means that the director takes an oath to fallow a list of specific rules
while shooting the film, which includes using a hand held camera and all
natural lighting with no props....this is why you will see alot of "un-hollywood"
like methods of film making, hence the point of the Dogme oath.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Old November 16th, 2002, 10:15 AM   #314
Major Player

* * EXCELLENT * *

Keith!

Thanks for the abundance information. I printed it out and placed it close because your breakdown is superb.

Thanks for the solid foundation.

As far as the cost, oh boy! Working on it! HAR HAR.

Cheers!

Derrick
Old November 16th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #315
Air China Pilot

No problem. I hope some day to be in the same position.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work