DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2002 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/355-show-your-work-2002-a.html)

fargograf April 3rd, 2002 04:53 PM

I finally found time to watch the 9/11 doucmentary. Very moving. You couldn't have written a better plot...with the brothers losing track of each other and all. I thought the rookie fireman showing up out of the blue without much to say was rather anti-climactic.

Has anyone heard what kind of digital cameras the brothers were shooting with?

The most chilling moments were when the firemen paused at the sound of a body landing outside. yikes!

Chris Hurd April 3rd, 2002 05:53 PM

They shot that with a pair of PD150's, or it was one P150 and a DSR300, not sure. But at least one PD150 for certain.

elusive_kudo April 14th, 2002 07:57 PM

ASCAP costs for SYNCHRONIZATION and PERFORMANCE permission ?

Does anyone knows a ballpark figure of how much ASCAP charge to give a license for use of one or two not so famous songs of an artist of statue like Vam Morrison (he's well know, but i imagine, not extremly sought) for SYNCHRONIZATION and PERFORMANCE permission?

Guy Pringle April 15th, 2002 12:10 AM

I would imagine my wife could answer you, but give me some more info and I'll ask her and get back to you.

Is it for broadcast? Is it for commercial purposes? How long will the piece be?

elusive_kudo April 15th, 2002 07:28 AM

Well it would be used once or twice in the movie that will probably go to video here and definitely for theatrical release in a small european country.

elusive_kudo April 16th, 2002 01:29 PM

not bad at all ulrik!

but, what i am interested is how did u manage 2 capture that great audio? what did u use if i may ask?

Guy Pringle April 16th, 2002 09:45 PM

Sorry I can't give you anything to help. My wife's experience is in commercials.

Well I was going to leave it at that, but that wouldn't do this community justice, so here's something (from ASCAP FAQ) with a link for more..

If you are using a pre-recorded song or another pre-recorded piece of music in your film, there are two rights you need to clear; that is to say, you need to get two different licenses to use the music.

Synchronization License: This is the right to synchronize a song or a piece of music with your visual image. It must be obtained from the copyright owner of the music, which is usually the publisher. You can find out who the publisher is by using ASCAP's Clearance Express (ACE) at www.ascap.com. Songs that are not represented by ASCAP might be found at the National Music Publishers' Association "Songfile" website (www.nmpa.org).You will be provided with a contact at the publisher's Business Affairs or Licensing Department.

Master Use License: This is the right to reproduce a specific recording of a song in your film. You clear this right with the record label who owns the specific recording you would like to use; see the liner notes of the recording to find out which company this is. Alternatively, you can get contact information for record labels by calling ASCAP's Film/TV Department. You will be provided with a contact at the record label's Business Affairs Department.

Hope that points you in the right direction. Good Luck!

Mike Avery April 16th, 2002 10:41 PM

It's not cheap

I just checked into using a famous song from twenty years ago for a thirty second commercial.

It seems this is the hot thing to do right now, and it doesn't come cheap.

The quote I was given was "high six figures or in the low sevens".

The guy I talked with said the last one he did cost two million for the rights.

Old rockers have to pay for their retirement somehow you know.

mike avery

Jeff Donald April 18th, 2002 05:30 AM

Full Frontal and XL 1s, FCP info

Hi Folks,

Apples site has a series of articles on the new film Full Frontal, http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/04/fullfrontal/ that I thought many might want to checkout. Of cource it features the XL 1s and Final Cut Pro. Mostly the PR stuff but some good info for the undecided (about NLE's) amongst us.

Jeff

Rob Lohman April 18th, 2002 06:09 AM

A lot of pictures seem to be missing on that site though... Seems
to be a very extensive report otherwise.

Ulrik [fC] April 20th, 2002 06:44 AM

thanks for both critiques :)

captured audio .. walking sounds and the water in the bathroom, eggs etc. were captured with the mic on the xl1s

additional sounds as the "flashsound" or the strange noises were from some soundfile I download about a year ago from some independent filmmaking board or from computergames and I changed it with some musicprogramm

ah .. the percussion was capture with the XL1s mic as well .. the standard version, no ext. mic .. and I put a small echo on it.

hope this helps and have a nice weekend, all of you :)

Ulrik

elusive_kudo April 21st, 2002 11:50 AM

Legal releases in a 3rd world country?

I'm plannning to do a docu in a 3rd world country which might involve a few interviews with local teens? Would I need a release from them or from their parents?

And generally what type of releases do I need from my interviewing subjects when they are adults? Is there a certain standard to adhere to? Also, since I'm going to non english speaking country, do I need a local translation of the release or would English only suffice.

Help anyone?

Thanks kindly.

Rob Lohman April 22nd, 2002 05:05 AM

I'm no expert at all in legal things... but logic for me answers
your two questions:

- will you need a release form.
Yes. Those are people who can sue you too (probably).
The chance is they won't, but you probably don't wanna
risk it anyway

- does it need to be translated
I think this will be the best to do. In a 3rd world country
I doubt many people speak (and especially read) english.
It might also be best to keep it as clear as possible for
them as to not confuse them with legal terms.

Just some thoughts.. As I said, I'm no expert what-so-ever
on these matters!

Aaron Koolen April 23rd, 2002 04:00 PM

Hi Ulrik. I just downloaded your movie, then realised I'd already seen it on hackermovies :)

I really like what you did with the outside bits, the colour and feel of it was great. Was it a camera filter or did you do it in post?

The sounds was cool too. Makes you think the onboard mic's aint that bad after all! ;)

Keep making more films and good luck!

Peter Wiley April 23rd, 2002 05:27 PM

Depends completely on local law in the case of a release in that country.

In case of release in other countries there are various international agreements that may apply.

Worse case, someone in the movie comes to the USA (or your home country if not the US) and sues in local court. Whether or not you need to head this possibilty off depends on whose image you propose to use.

If a great deal money is involved, get an experienced lawyer.