short movie done in 3 days.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 24th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #16
Major Player

dstinson,

Which particular aspects were you interested in hearing about in regard to making it?

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 07:50 PM   #17
dstinson

Since I've never done a real movie before I personally would be interested in any of the following:

Did anyone else help you shoot?
Did you have to get any permits?
Did you get a lot of looks when you were filming as people were passing by?
Did you have to use any special lighting or filters?
How many total minutes of DV did you take to make a ~7 minute movie?
Exactly what did you do aside from shoot and edit? It sounds like you found the music guy, who did a DAMN good job. Did you have to find the actors too?
Did the director tell you where and what to shoot or did you mostly come up with it?
What exactly did the director do? Did he have a storyboard of how he wanted the shots layed out?
How many hours total do you think it took to do the editing?

Thanks!!!

I hope more people post their work.
Old October 24th, 2002, 08:09 PM   #18
Major Player

**Since I've never done a real movie before I personally would be interested in any of the following:

Did anyone else help you shoot?**

I had a person holding the boom and clapping the clapper :)
The director did nothing.

**Did you have to get any permits?**
nope :) just went very early to shoot

**Did you get a lot of looks when you were filming as people were passing by?**

the occasional person would look, one even went right into shot and stared down the camera. Quite a few times the police the rolled past, took a slow look then drove off, didn't really care.

**Did you have to use any special lighting or filters?**

No filters were used.

The very first scene used 2 redheads spilling off the roof to give a little light back in, as it was a strong white backlight comming from outside. The final shot was one desklamp with a photo bulb in my bathroom with black sheets around the walls.

**How many total minutes of DV did you take to make a ~7 minute movie?**

ummm around 2.5 hours was shot, around 15 minutes was captured onto the comp, 7.5 minutes it ended up being.

**Exactly what did you do aside from shoot and edit? It sounds like you found the music guy, who did a DAMN good job. Did you have to find the actors too?**

Found the music guy. was an old friend of mine. I found Ben and biffy who played the 2 mains, Josh the street kid theif was found by the producer, the hood with the gun was the director, the cops were the producer and the guy who did the music. The other hood in 1 scene was a friend of the director.

I shot, edited, mixed sound, script edited, scouted locations with the producer and did all the other post work too.

**Did the director tell you where and what to shoot or did you mostly come up with it?**

he said nothing, he was terrible to work with.

**What exactly did the director do? Did he have a storyboard of how he wanted the shots layed out?**

He wrote the script and got us together to do it.
He drew some story boards, then forgot them at home, then stood there not knowing what to do, wasting time after he had come late.

**How many hours total do you think it took to do the editing?**
around 20 hours, 6 hours of it was wasted as premiere bit the bullet and a total restart was done in vegas video.

**Thanks!!!**
no probs.

**I hope more people post their work.**
me too

ps. read back i put a huge post up about a lot of things i encountered along the way.
Old November 7th, 2002, 04:56 AM   #19
Regular Crew

nicely done

hi kermie-

despite all your upfront complaints about the production, it looks great. you did a killer job man. good going.

christian
nebunule films llc
los angeles, ca
Christian Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 04:58 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanx dude,

I have got over it now, but it was a real emotional drainer to get it done.

kermie
Old November 7th, 2002, 06:12 AM   #21
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Kermie,

I finally got around to downloading DivX and was able to see your film. For some reason the audio drifted quite a bit...up to a 2 second lag of video behind the audio...but I was still able to view it and follow it.

Anyway...great job! What a feeling of accomplishment to crank something like this out in 3 days. There's a lot more I'd like to say...but it would just be repeating what's already been said...the positive comments at least.

Looking forward to your next one!
Old November 7th, 2002, 06:16 AM   #22
Major Player

John Locke,

I'll do a trade with you, i will sit down in a live chat with you and discuss everything i have gone through with making movies and give you all the hints from film school, if you will help me make my site look as sexy as yours heh heh

anyways, that is serious, email me.

kermie
Old November 7th, 2002, 06:47 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Nice work, and impressive given the time frame from start to finish.

Not without flaws (I agree that the video toaster ripples have got to go), but I like the montage and the alleypunk sneak at the beginning. Also most of the clips are very professionally shot.
You should be proud.

Look forward to more work from you.

Adrian
Adrian van der Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 06:52 AM   #24
Major Player

Wow,

Thanx so much guys! this is so inspiring! And this only goes to the arguement about shooter over camera. This was mostly done on a single chip panasonic mx-3.

Thanks everybody for your positive comments.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work