New Music Video shot with XL-1, JVC DV500, Jib & Steadicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 30th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Music Video shot with XL-1, JVC DV500, Jib & Steadicam

This was shot in 4 hours and was cut by another facility with a box called Applied Magic. A film look was added with this box. The reason frame mode was not used in camera was because the JVC does not have this function and they wanted both cameras to match as close as possible so they processed it all in post.

"Sometimes" - Picnic with Fish

(high speed)
http://198.65.158.133/musicvideos/pwf/SOMETIMES300K.asx

(dial up)
http://198.65.158.133/musicvideos/pwf/SOMETIMES56K.asx
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:44 PM   #2
Trustee

James

I'm on a mac using explorer, and all I got when I clicked the links was an empty browser window, I'm not sure what an .asx file is, but is it possible to post in a more cross platform format...quicktime or real?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:01 PM   #3
Major Player

James,
I am on a PC with IE 6 and WM Player 9. Somthing must be wrong with your link because when I click on the link, it says that WMP cannot find the specified file. It might also be a problem with the .asx file like Barry mentioned above. Maybe you could put on a Quicktime or .wmv (Widows Media Video) file. Thanks, looking forward to seeing this!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Viewing problems - possible workaround

I don't know why this happens but sometimes in different areas on select systems, these files do not function properly. I was told this could be because of various reasons such as firewalls or proxy settings, etc.. All of my streaming files are listed on this board and my sites with .asx extensions and many have viewed them successfully. Aren't computers fun? Let me know if this works.

Possible workaround:

Try right clicking on the link, then hit properties, then highlight and copy the URL, then paste in your browser and finally replace the x with an f and hit enter.
Old October 31st, 2002, 12:53 AM   #5
Major Player

I got it to work. That was a very cool video. You had some great flying shots over the audience. How did you do that? I know you had a jib, but like the crowd was below you so how could you move through the crowd so smoothly? Was the camera on a jib and a dolly at the same time? What jib did you use? What stedicam model did you use? Sorry for all the questions...just thought thoses shots were very cool. Conrats on a great video!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:12 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

James,

I'm on a Mac and I was able to view the file...but couldn't hear anything.

Regardless...this is really great work! I enjoyed it even without the sound! If you don't mind my asking, I'm interested in a few things:
  • What kind of jib did you use?
  • How many times did you get them to repeat the song for different setups?
  • What kind of Steadicam were you using?
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Production Gear

The jib is a Jib Lite from Stanton Video or Jimmy Jib designed for systems 15 lbs and below, DV.

Pictures
http://community.webtv.net/JEFProduc...CONFIGURATIONS

To see it in more detailed action go here and look under Special Events:

http://community.webtv.net/JEFProduc...TS_MUSICVIDEOS

The Steadicam is another brand almost identical to the mini with the vest and arm. It was used for all ground tracking and approach shots in front of the stage and behind the audience. The JVC was handheld for close-ups. The jib was on a dolly but just for mobility for itself. We probably did 10-15 complete takes and about 5 shorts for detail.
Old October 31st, 2002, 04:07 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks for the details, James. I took a look at your other videos, sans sound, and I'm very impressed.

I've never seen the Jimmy Jib and their brand of steadicam before. Interesting. The steadicam is definitely in a better price range than most.
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

James, which camera was making everyone/thing look green? Or was that on purpose?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Lighting

That was apparently one of the early takes before we did reverse angles of the crowd using 32K. As you can see we stuck with 32K for the rest of the shoot. This was VERY low budget with favors being returned. The green look is the lighting from the multi-color stage light trees that you occassionally see. So this is a continuity issue with matching the shots' lighting. We just didn't have the time for an on set video review. Remember this was shot in 4 hours because they had to be out of the building by a certain time. Much more shooting was necessary for adequate coverage but we just didn't have the time. I'll admit it's easy to pick something apart after it's done but overall it turned out alright.
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

wasn't picking it apart, just wondering if the cameras were causing problems.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Lighting

I know you weren't hacking on me. That was just a general statement. I think we are all critical of our work after the fact. We could or should have done this or that. You know what I mean? I think the cameras just had a hard time balancing on those colors, especially without any white light present. We balanced after every take though. I suppose black & white would have been a good cover for those shots but I didn't cut it. See, there I go again.
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:46 PM   #13
Inner Circle

>>shots but I didn't cut it. See, there I go again.
<<
Ah, the loss of control. What a bummer. I'm just excited to see some stuff like this being done with affordable DV cameras.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work