DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Automotive event coverage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/505144-automotive-event-coverage.html)

Justin Molush February 9th, 2012 04:28 PM

Automotive event coverage

So this last year, in addition to my day job in collegiate athletics media I went around the tri-state area on the east coast covering some drift events for the local organizing bodies to post online. They gave me free reign over these videos to do what I want with them as they just use them basically as online marketing throwaways to promote their events.

I don't mind, it gets me views and allows me to flex a bit of After Effects muscle and play around with it. This video I started getting the hang of things a bit in After Effects and since then I have gotten much better. Let me know what you like, what you don't like, and what you could see improving.

Please note, this entire video was shot with a 7D and 200mm prime - I have since bought a 70-200 and it is SO much easier to shoot things haha. There are 2 shots in there from a JVC HM700U which my friend brought and I had a chance to play with for a few minutes. And yes, I am aware I over-graded it a bit crushing out a lot of dark areas, but you live and you learn!

Not sure how to embed here, but will gladly edit if someone lets me know....

*edit* AHA - got it to embed.

Ryan Douthit February 10th, 2012 12:12 PM

Re: Automotive event coverage

I drove the road course at Beaver Run several years ago... that place is really in the middle of nowhere. Small, but a great little strip of asphalt. (yes, I know your video features drifting in the parking lot... but I'm having some great flashback memories here.)

I love the music selection for this piece. Also, good shots for being stuck with a single prime. Though it also amplifies the danger of shooting cars, there's nothing quite like a super-tight wide-angle.

Now, time to put on my producer hat... If you were shooting for my show I'd yell at you for the following:

- Not enough in-car/on car cameras (a must for motorsports these day)
- No super-tight shots
- No "lifestyle" shots. Are they robots or are there people under those helmets.
- No flea-view shots (ground level... awesome for drifting if you can nail the frame)

The group shot at 1:22 as probably my fav of the piece. But overall, nice piece.

Justin Molush February 10th, 2012 10:43 PM

Appreciate the insight. Since then I have bought a 70-200, a 24mm prime, and a go-pro... so I will change my style this coming year a bit to include more of a variety of shots. I was just shooting with, and dealing with, what I had at the time. Next year will be awesome, and I am even planning to shoot an event on an Epic... because high frame rates and drifting sell themselves haha

Russ Reynolds February 13th, 2012 03:46 PM

Really nice work Justin. The intro and music fitted well. I also picked up on Ryans comments, and I'm sure you agree. I saw a few GroPros hanging from door pillars. Perhaps you could have done a deal for a bit of in car footage.

Alan Melville February 14th, 2012 05:55 AM

Given the fact you shot with 1 prime only, and a 200mm at that, I feel you did a good job. I think you'll do well with the new gear. Good luck and don't forget to post it up as you progress.

Al