Automotive event coverage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Automotive event coverage

So this last year, in addition to my day job in collegiate athletics media I went around the tri-state area on the east coast covering some drift events for the local organizing bodies to post online. They gave me free reign over these videos to do what I want with them as they just use them basically as online marketing throwaways to promote their events.

I don't mind, it gets me views and allows me to flex a bit of After Effects muscle and play around with it. This video I started getting the hang of things a bit in After Effects and since then I have gotten much better. Let me know what you like, what you don't like, and what you could see improving.

Please note, this entire video was shot with a 7D and 200mm prime - I have since bought a 70-200 and it is SO much easier to shoot things haha. There are 2 shots in there from a JVC HM700U which my friend brought and I had a chance to play with for a few minutes. And yes, I am aware I over-graded it a bit crushing out a lot of dark areas, but you live and you learn!

Not sure how to embed here, but will gladly edit if someone lets me know....

*edit* AHA - got it to embed.

Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Automotive event coverage

I drove the road course at Beaver Run several years ago... that place is really in the middle of nowhere. Small, but a great little strip of asphalt. (yes, I know your video features drifting in the parking lot... but I'm having some great flashback memories here.)

I love the music selection for this piece. Also, good shots for being stuck with a single prime. Though it also amplifies the danger of shooting cars, there's nothing quite like a super-tight wide-angle.

Now, time to put on my producer hat... If you were shooting for my show I'd yell at you for the following:

- Not enough in-car/on car cameras (a must for motorsports these day)
- No super-tight shots
- No "lifestyle" shots. Are they robots or are there people under those helmets.
- No flea-view shots (ground level... awesome for drifting if you can nail the frame)

The group shot at 1:22 as probably my fav of the piece. But overall, nice piece.

Last edited by Ryan Douthit; February 10th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Appreciate the insight. Since then I have bought a 70-200, a 24mm prime, and a go-pro... so I will change my style this coming year a bit to include more of a variety of shots. I was just shooting with, and dealing with, what I had at the time. Next year will be awesome, and I am even planning to shoot an event on an Epic... because high frame rates and drifting sell themselves haha
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
New Boot

Really nice work Justin. The intro and music fitted well. I also picked up on Ryans comments, and I'm sure you agree. I saw a few GroPros hanging from door pillars. Perhaps you could have done a deal for a bit of in car footage.
Russ Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Given the fact you shot with 1 prime only, and a 200mm at that, I feel you did a good job. I think you'll do well with the new gear. Good luck and don't forget to post it up as you progress.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work