Year and a half timelapse project of Louisville, KY - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Year and a half timelapse project of Louisville, KY

Love it very nice
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM   #17
Trustee

Not sure if Eric is still around but I was checking out your other videos on Vimeo and noticed your into autocross, me too...

I've only shot one event, I try not to take my camera when I go to these things...

Anyway I hope you don't mind that I share this with you here.

Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for the replies everyone! I sort of forgot about this thread. Cool video Chuck! Autocross is neat to watch, although I enjoy editing it more than shooting it since there is no risk of sunburn =).

It looks like the hyperlapse question has been answered but I'll type a quick version out here as well.
Find a point of interest off in the distance that doesn't move and will never be obstructed by another building or even a light post. Aim at the object(in my case the camera I was using has adjustable cross hairs) Level the half ball head take a photo. Move somewhere between 1 couple inches and 15 feet depending on how long you want the move to be(most of the time I moved the distance of one of my shoes or a half shoe length). Take a photo and repeat the process for however long you want the shot to last. Import into After Effects and warp stabalize. A very repetitive process.

Oren Arieli:
For the shorter moves I mostly used a Kessler Pocket Dolly version 1 with an oracle controller and camera control module....sometimes for a two axis move I would use the discontinued turntable with it. I would occasionally use a shuttle pod mini as well.
With the Zoom out and walk in I would do a hyperlapse but before each shot I would barely zoom out and had the camera re-focus(used autofocus for these since most lenses aren't parafocal) Warp Stabaizer does wonders.
Surprisingly every frame was from a single photo and not HDR. I did however shoot in raw to really be able to manipulate the images later on. For the day to night shots I used LRTimelapse with the Adobe Production CS6 suite. To capture these shots the camera was set to manual and the only setting I would change was the shutter speed....the bump in exposure was corrected with the software mentioned above.
Every shot did have pretty extensive color correction(at least an hour per clip was spent in Adobe Camera Raw) and when shooting I usually would only let a very small percentage of the clouds blow out so when looking at the raw images most people would say they were significantly underexposed.....it's absolutely amazing how much shadow information you can pull out of a raw image file.

I think that got all the questions, very sorry about the delay.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #19
Trustee

Thanks Eric.

Great work.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work