DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Freedom One Shot with GH4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/527078-freedom-one-shot-gh4.html)

Chuck Spaulding February 28th, 2015 12:53 PM

Freedom One Shot with GH4

Kind of an unofficial camera comparison between the GH4 and the A7s. This was shot at the same time as /DRIVE Clean: Freedom One by Ryan Douthit.

I thought it might be interesting to compare the two camera's. Much of the A7S looks sharper but some of my shots are simply slightly out of focus. Nevertheless its interesting to see how the two camera's differ. I thought the GH4 handled the high contrast lighting quite well, better than my 5D3.

Noa Put February 28th, 2015 03:50 PM

Re: Freedom One Shot with GH4

I see quite some aliasing in several shots, did you shoot 50p in full frame (not aps-c) mode on the a7s?

Chris Hurd February 28th, 2015 04:33 PM

Hey, I've been to Pima and it's an awesome place. You could do a whole series on the wide variety of historical aircraft there. Then, when you're done with that, move across the street to the Davis-Monthan boneyard and keep shooting. Well done, Chuck!

Chuck Spaulding February 28th, 2015 05:48 PM

It is a great place. I have a ton more footage of the museum and aircraft parked outside.

Chuck Spaulding February 28th, 2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1878272)
I see quite some aliasing in several shots, did you shoot 50p in full frame (not aps-c) mode on the a7s?

I shot on the GH4, the other video by Ryan was shot with the A7S.

There's not as much aliasing in 1080 as there is at 720, but there is a little.

Noa Put March 1st, 2015 02:49 AM

I was just saying because I read somewhere in this forum that the a7s causes aliasing in 50p when shooting full frame but not in 25p? But if I understand you right this entire video was shot on the gh4?

Chuck Spaulding March 1st, 2015 11:32 AM

Yes, 90% of it was GH4 the rest was Canon 5D3 and the timelapse was a GoPro.

You can check out Ryan's Freedom One video, I believe the entire thing was shot with the A7s. I was thinking about posting this video in his thread to make the comparison easier but thought better of it. That would be kind of disrespectful.

Ryan's version was for commercial purposes so I waited until they posted theirs online before posting this version, not that it would have made any difference.

I think the GH4 holds up fairly well. I've only used it for a couple of productions but I'm really happy with it. I have the Metabones Speed adapter for Canon EF lenses which works well but it seems to drain the battery considerably faster.

Ryan Douthit March 5th, 2015 11:30 PM

Hi Chuck,

Fancy running into you here.

It's true that the A7S does have some aliasing issues at 60p. I shot the /DRIVE episode at 30p (and pretty much only use 30p on the A7S) for this reason. At that setting the A7S has practically no aliasing or moire issues.

I love seeing two totally different approaches to the same event.