New Music Video Shot With An Xl1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM   #16
New Boot

Jonthan,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I have been busy with my next music video and my next feature film. Thank you for the complement, your right its not the camera its the person behind it, its not the budget but the director behind the project. But having the good camera and the money also helps out alot.
Waheed AlQawasmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Waheed –

Great work! Can you go into any more detail as to what you did in After Effects and ‘in camera’? Curious to know what frame rate you shot at -- and did you convert/render to progressive frames in After Effects?

Basically love the film look you achieved and wondering what you did to achieve it!

Thanks --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I'm still shooting with 2000 model XL-1 systems and getting great results too. I think you did a great job in shooting and editing but I have to be honest with you. We all know that DV is used to shoot network shows all the time but that is mostly for reality programming and I've been fortunate enough to do quite a bit of that using several different DV cameras. I really don't think this is what any of those networks are looking for though. I know that BET does air alot of videos shot with DV on Uncut but your content is certainly superior to that crap. Although my cameras have actually shot a network show and I have some content that looks really good too, I know that it's not network level. I hope that someone hasn't told you these things trying to sell you on something that may not happen. You are definitely on the right path so keep up the good work! I think the expansion of cable networks and internet broadcasting is going to make plenty of room for independent producers like us.

Network Show - XL-1
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42385

Last edited by James Emory; March 3rd, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
...but I have to be honest with you. We all know that DV is used to shoot network shows all the time but that is mostly for reality programming and I've been fortunate enough to do quite a bit of that using several different DV cameras. I really don't think this is what any of those networks are looking for though. I know that BET does air alot of videos shot with DV on Uncut but your content is certainly superior to that crap. ... I hope that someone hasn't told you these things trying to sell you on something that may not happen...
Tons of music videos (MTV, VH1, etc) have been shot on DV...

Again, the work is great -- it would still be great even if it were shot on VHS...!
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Binder
Tons of music videos (MTV, VH1, etc) have been shot on DV...
Please tell me which main stream music videos have been shot completely on DV or even HDV and aired on MTV, VH1 and other than Uncut on BET. I'm talking about the primary networks and not MTV2, 3 etc. or any local affiliate stations. There are plenty of people out there that think that drop-ins by local affilliates qualify as the national network and uh, they don't! That's called local cable access.

Last edited by James Emory; March 3rd, 2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:36 PM   #21
New Boot

OK here are my answers: ahahha

James Binder: shot the thing on normal frame rate 29.97. The original footage did not look much far off from the final product. Everything was done in camera, except the WALL WALK where he was walking throught the pictures. Also I did my color correction through AE. My film look was not through a plugin or anything like that from AE, i have my own little tricks to make stuff look more filmmatic, but video is still video. If you need more info let me know.
CHEERS!!!

Ok the other JAMES: I appreciate your concern about what the channels play and dont play, but to tell you the truth the channels like the programers for MTV, and BET dont have control on what to play on the channel, the people that kinda make the money have deals lets say like with RCA, MOTOWN, and ETC, they bring in the artist and the artist manager who hires out the PR agency to do the videos and stuff go shoot what ever they want then take it to MTV. And as long as it does not break any FCC rules they really dont give a crap of what the stuff looks like. By the way 80% of the shows on BET is shot DV.

This video i made for this artist actually helped that record label that has him signed to get the entire project sold to a big distributor, not sure which distribution company bought it.

But the project is sold so its up to the record label to play the video, plus i am contracted to do the next 5 music videos for that artist, and I also own a part of that record lable so to tell you the truth I am not concerned about it being played on MTV or any where at all. I am making my money through the artist. Also its not like I care about having more air time, I have like 11 Emmy awards for my work in TV. hahahha so let me know if you have any more questions as well

CHEERS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Emmys or not, you don't even have to work in this industry to know that what you said about networks not having control of content is incorrect. Can you please provide a few examples of what your Emmys are for? Emmys have a wide range of coverage. I did say that I was aware of primetime reality shows being shot on DV for these networks because I have shot a few of them myself. Could you also list a few music videos aired in primetime that are shot entirely on DV on any of these networks? Neither you nor Mr. Binder have provided examples to back up your claims. I don't know who you have been talking to but yes, the networks DO care very much what the content looks like and yes, they, not record companies, ultimately decide what does and does not air on their network. Why do you think that Uncut is only shown at 2 a.m.? Because it's absolutely filthy and it's amateur hour, that's why. Record companies only control what their artists produce and if MTV, VH1 or BET, etc. say they are not interested for whatever reason, then...... it doesn't air! It also doesn't matter if a video has a million dollar budget and is shot on 35mm. If the artist isn't a top seller or isn't approved by the network for whatever reason, it's not going to air on that network.

If you are making money through that artist, you should care a whole lot about whether the videos air and where they air for maximum exposure and more record sales so you can get paid to make all of those videos you spoke of. Judging by the statements you have made, you sound as though that you may just be starting out in this area and are a bit naive and/or overzealous about the process. Just because they say 5 more videos will be made doesn't mean that they will and if they are it doesn't mean that you will be paid for them. There are plenty of labels and artists with far more resources and money than you that fail because of content that is just not selling and/or bad management. I hope that you and this artist are successful and I will keep a lookout for him and your videos airing on these networks. Please let us know what the airtimes and dates will be and on what networks for each of the 5 new videos and no matter what, please post each new video in this thread. Like I said, your work looks really good but I would still like for you to post some examples of your Emmy winnings and some mainstream artists whose videos are shot entirely on DV and air in primetime on these major networks and not on local affilliates or cable. Thanks.

Last edited by James Emory; March 4th, 2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #23
New Boot

James: Did you even read what i said, I did not say that the network has no control. I said that the programers have no control, the guys high up in the NETWORK make the decision, and they are more concerned about how to make money out of the videos ok.

ALSO I DID SAY AND I QUOTE: And as long as it does not break any FCC rules they really dont give a crap of what the stuff looks like.

SO THAT ANSWERS YOUR RANT ABOUT THE UNCUT STUFF. OK AND MY VIDEO HAS NOTHING OF THAT CONTENT IN IT. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY YOU BROUGHT THAT UP.

ok as for my EMMY awards go to my webpage and check out the ABOUT section and you can read them. I dont have time to write them up here. go to WAFILMS.COM

and the reason i am not concierned if this perticular version of the video airs or not is because i know that i secured a Record deal in the music side of it and we are gonna have money to do whatever we want with the video, we are extremly happy with it but if it does not make the cut we will go back and reshoot it who cares dude, take it easy.

CHEERS!!!!!!!

PS: I KNOW THAT I AM 19YRS OLD BUT MY WORK STARTED PLAYING ON LOCAL TV STARTING FROM AGE 15, I DIRECTED NUMEROUS TV SHOWS THAT MADE ITS WAY ON LOCAL TV. AND MANY REPORTS THAT MADE ITS WAY TO FOX AND NBC. AND I DO MAKE A VERY COMFORTABLE LIVING WORKING IN TV AND FILM.
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I am going to proceed with caution here because I do not want to seem like I am intentionally trying to run you down. I think it's clear that I'm not because I already said that your video was very well done, not that you need my approval.

Now what do you think programmers do? They decide what airs and doesn't air. They do ultimately answer to the executives for a final word if that's the needed but I would think that they are programmers are decision makers and that's why they are called programmers.

The FCC allows all kinds of crap on the air but that is all a matter of opinion. And yes, the networks do care very much what goes over the air as far as content and what it is shot on, that's why they have broadcast engineers to monitor all of the signals and levels. I mentioned BET and Uncut because that's the only video network and show that I know of that allows videos to air that have been shot entirely on DV. Your work is far superior to that crap for sure.

Your Emmy awards are definitely worthy achievements but they are just as I suspected, from local markets only and not for huge mainstream projects. They certainly won't hurt your advancement but are not necessarily going to get you top paying jobs where you don't have the proven experience, Emmys or not.

As far as your secured record deal, only you know the details of that and it remains to be seen if that will materialize and I hope it does. But, don't be surprised if it doesn't, especially with 5 videos to follow. I would have a check in my hand with half down on each project and wouldn't shoot one frame until each check cleared.

I started at a very young age myself and produced, directed, shot and edited my first reality show for cable when I was 22 and have since moved on to network level shows. As far as you making a comfortable living doing what you do, that is open to interpretation. In other words, your idea of comfortable may be very different from mine or others. Your young age explains why you are a bit naive with how this industry works and I was no exception when I first started. I went through it and so will countless others. You have alot to learn about how it all works and you will because you are far ahead. I'm still learning new things about this insane industry we work in. I think if you keep up the good work you will definitely go somewhere. Good luck.

I think that when you make claims you need to be able to back them up, that's all.

P.S. You still haven't mentioned ANY major artist and/or video that airs on MTV, VH1 or BET in primetime, much less at all.

P.S. #2 Please post ALL subsequent videos that you produce for this artist.

Last edited by James Emory; March 4th, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I have to chime in...

I have to be honest... the video is just okay. It reminds me of the music videos that our local public access channels are jam-packed with late at night. I watched this video twice and it just has an amateur feel to it. The concept and picture quality are fine... I'm talking about the technical execution and editing (including color correction). It just has a homemade feel.

The picture from the camera is great - I agree with that. The concept is fine, too, considering this guy probably has no budget.

Please don't get me wrong - it's not at all bad - I just wouldn't confuse this with a professional video. I just don't think it's "pro". It's probably wrong of me to compare this to a pro video, but other people were.
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Well, it's been a week and neither James Binder nor Waheed have yet listed any mainstream artists or videos that are shot entirely on DV and air in primetime on ANY of the music channels to back up their claims.
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #27
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

in general - i liked the music video ..
i looked at your site ...
i usually look at about 50-60 reels a month.
now i got to say that if the demo reel that you have posted on your site came across my desk ! it would be in the NO pile.
i find the reel very uneven. i usually figure that the worst scene- section of a sample reel is the BEST that i will get for my $$$ ...
IMO redo your sample reel ... there are sections that are very good and other sections that are so-so .. SO-So doesn't make it ... from viewing your site you have the material for a much better reel.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #28
Major Player

I liked it. It was well done and brought me into the song. Yes it had that MTV feel but is that a bad thing??? Check you bank account against thiers'. I would trade that in a heart beat. Good work man keep it up.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter
....Yes it had that MTV feel but is that a bad thing??? Check you bank account against thiers'.
May I ask who you are referring to? We are saying that it does not have that MTV feel and your statement implies that we said that it does and that it is a bad thing. Please clarify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter
.....I would trade that in a heart beat.
What do you mean by trade?
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
May I ask who you are referring to? We are saying that it does not have that MTV feel and your statement implies that we said that it does and that it is a bad thing. Please clarify this.

What do you mean by trade?
Sorry must have misread in the early post that it did have that corperate feel. As far as "Trade" it would be my bank account numbers for a MTV execs. Not picking a fight here. I like the video and that's it. It looked profesional to me.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work