"Revenge" 7 Min. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #1
New Boot

"Revenge" 7 Min.

"Revenge: A Brother Revenged His Murdered Brother"

I tried really hard. My first real attempt at a short.

Thanks for watching. Can't wait to hear what you folks have to say!

http://www.sovietpc.com/revenge.mpg
Joseph Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Pretty good for a first attempt. Maybe pay attention to lighting a little more next time. I'd also ditch the the shaky handheld shots in favor of a tripod. That's just me. Every time I see a shaky handhelt shot, I feel like it's supposed to be a POV.

I like the whole Russian/Bad Guy theme. You always know someone is going to get killed when there's pissed off Russians around.

Good job though.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks. I couldn't really rely on tripods, except for a few shots... I had minimal time to shoot. One of my friends is allergic to cameras or something - his hands get all grandma on me when I put a camera in his hands.

I couldn't do much with the lightening, I have zero lighting equipment.

I hope it is sort of decent - considering that I had no access to alternate light sources, no professional actors except my friends and I, and that it was a simple class project.

Thanks for the feedback!

I would've loved to have more time to shoot. Almost every shot would've been tripod supported ;)

Last edited by Joseph Mason; December 6th, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4
New Boot

Any other comments folks? Liked it.. disliked it?
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #5
Trustee

I liked it. Got so caught up in the story and the characters I didn't pay that much attention to camera steadiness or lighting.

The story itself is kind of "dark" so lack of supplemental lighting didn't detract in any way I noticed.

For a first attempt I think it turned out quite well.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks a lot sir!

That's a little different from some other positive reviews I've heard. Others have said they enjoyed the lighting, effects and music cuts -- but the story and acting sucked. (Hey it was my first time acting -- sorry for the bad performance.)

I appreciate you taking the time to look at the short.
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #7
Trustee

Nicely done...good use of available light, I was fine with the camera work personally. I have the same wireless phone the mafia boss had in his apt. :)

Love what you did with the subtitles too, almost graphic novelish.

Color saturation and exposure was very good.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks Cole McDonald -- much appreciated. That apt was actually mine -- I'm the gunman.

Camera work could've been much improved, I just didn't have as much time as I wanted to use a tripod for every shot.

Was the acting sort of decent, or just plain horrible?
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

This was a very good storyline. I thought that the lighting was ok being that you had no lighting equip and had to rely soley on what you had. I thought also that the camera work was very good. I didnt see a lot of shakiness to warrant anything on the camera man. I thought you had a giid use of music and the only think i would have liked to see was a lil bit more on the last sequence between the two guys. It ended a lil fast maybe rushed a lil bit.

But other than. I thought it was done pretty good. Nice job!!

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #10
New Boot

Derrick A. Jones, thanks for the comment!

I would've liked to see a longer sequence at the end as well. I wanted a longer shoot out scene --- maybe a little back and forth gun fire?

It just wasn't in the cards. Not enough time to film, and it wasn't exactly the best of places to film a shootout. It was a private building, with people walking in and out. I was just waiting for a few cops to interrupt our film and show us their handcuffs.

Thanks!

We all took turns filming, I tried to cut out as much unsteady frames as possible.
Joseph Mason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work