Show Your Work 2008 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #271
Major Player

Kevin,

I thought it was really nice - your video was appropriate for the song and it flowed pretty well - wasn't hard to watch.

Some lighting indoors might have helped some, and I probably would have tried to have a wider variety of shots of him playing the guitar - maybe closeup on hands, very long shots -- just mixing it up a bit. Seemed like there were two or three shots of that and that was it.

I really did enjoy it.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #272
Regular Crew

Live Band

This was my second attempt at doing a live performance. I was by myself so I just set up an HV20 in the back on tripod and I worked with my v1 in the front. If I could do it again I would probably get there earlier and talk to the guy doing the lights because they didn't turn the lights on until the show started so I had to just leave the HV20 on auto in the back (didn't turn out to well). I also would have done a tighter shot with the hv20.

I had a problem with the HV20 shaking like crazy when they were playing loud. Anyone have any tips for that? I guess it is kind of inevitable in a small place with really loud music that its going to shake.

Any critique or tips would be great! (the plan is for the band to put their recorded audio overtop the video so I didn't need a direct feed) Thanks!

http://www.vimeo.com/754497
Trey Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #273
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Coser View Post
Looks good. In particular i like 3 and 4 shot. The only thing are those vertical lines (but maybe is the compression) on the background.
Thanks! I don't think the vertical lines are a compression issue... they're on the raw footage too! Why are they there? How do I get rid of them? Since it's a horror flick I may be able to get away with it this time. They add to the grittiness of the film. But for future reference I'd like to know what they are and how I can avoid them in the future
Justin Mosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #274
New Boot

thanks Matt, I appreciate you taking the time.
Loney Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #275
Major Player

A recording session of a symphony orchestra

Few days ago I happened to tape a recording session, it's in a few takes, two cameras, no additional light, the music is from a movie "Moscow doesn't believe in tears", one of a few Russian films that received an Oscar, back in 80th.

http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/Orkestra.mov
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #276
New Boot

haha, awesome. I like it. Pretty gory. Nicely done, cuts looked very professional.

I'd watch it again
Kevin Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #277
Regular Crew

Short Movie "Unususal" goes to cinema...

My short movies at the cinema

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be a new short movie evening
in the "Metropolis" cinema in Hamburg
at the april, 18th from the filmmakers group
"Filmstube Hamburg"

www.filmstube.de

The screening will start at 21.15.

You will see a lot of very good short movies
including
"Unusual", Director: Steffen Werske, HDV, 14:30 Min., D, 2008
and
"Eine Nacht mit Folgen", Director: Suntje Freier, DV, 7:30 Min., D, 2007

There are only 280 tickets
so donīt wait too long if you want to go to this event.

We all will have a great evening
and you all are invited to come.

Greetings to all of you from Steffen & Suntje from Hamburg, Germany
Steffen Werske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #278
Major Player

Messing around with Final Cut & Color

Messing around with Final Cut and Color here:

"Parkour Experiment"
http://www.vimeo.com/758431
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #279
New Boot

Man, you make me jealous. That was really good, I now want to see it!!! It doesn't look like a low/no budget film. Great stuff. Looks like you have the most important thing: story.

Beatufiul.
Kevin Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #280
Trustee

Some interesting shots, Oleg. I watched it through a few times before I noticed the other camera was visible in the wide shots - funny how hard it is to spot.
This kind of film takes a lot of work and it's hard to get such clear shots with all the stands and other junk in a studio setting without using a crane. It's difficult enough on a tiered stage with gallery cameras in front and behind, long lenses and 4 or 5 cameras. Well done.

Which orchestra is it by the way?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #281
Major Player

Colin, thank you!
It's a Moscow Symphony Orchestra "Russian Filarmony"
Conducted by Maxim Fedotov.
It was recorded in about 1.5 hours in I think 5 takes!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #282
Regular Crew

anyone? haha anything would be greatttt
Trey Dillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #283
Major Player

I agree about getting a tighter shot with the HV20. I would also try to match the colors in post, the blacks on the HV20 weren't as deep as your other cam. Other than that, looks and sounds great.
Why didn't you upload in HD?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #284
Regular Crew

I watched it, from your own description it sounds like you pretty much nailed the problems....I can't understand why the tripod was shaking...Was there a PA monitor somewhere around the tripod...I've down a couple of live bands that were louder than these guys with no tripod shake. Lighting wasn't too bad, rarely are you going to get a well lit band. Overall it was OK. Could have bit tighter editing and perhaps some more interesting camera angles.

The band did not feel very energetic or even really committed to their music, this was my main difficulty with the piece.
Lou Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #285
Regular Crew

finally some responses! Thank you both Lou and Chris for responding. I don't think a monitor was by the tripod but its very possible that i just didn't see it. The place I had the camera in the back was the only place it was allowed to be. They were pretty strict about where I was setting stuff up. I was planning on moving around a lot up on and around the stage but I sprained my ankle pretty badly 2 days before the shoot so I was pretty much standing in one spot. Next time I will definitely try to get some more angles because it definitely seemed boring and repetitive. Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you mean "Could have a bit tighter editing?"

Chris, I actually didn't end up shooting in HD. I probably should have but they just wanted to post these to youtube anyways. No dvd or anything. It just seemed easier/faster to do it in SD.

Last edited by Trey Dillen; March 6th, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Trey Dillen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work