Show Your Work 2008 - Page 80 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #1186
Major Player

Just wonderful. An unfortunately familiar......
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #1187
Regular Crew

Movie Marketing Web Site

This is my favorite recent project - "coming soon" page for a web marketing group:

Cool Hand Media :: Communicate Without Failure

It struck me that it has that "intense movie" web site look, similar to sites like the "Zodiac" and "Quarantine" site. Any of you indie guys need something along these lines? Might be fun to get in my portfolio (yes, I know you don't have any budget, but if someone has an actual product together, I'd look into doing some design/flash for ya - and I'm good at integrating the trailer video into the site design, or even merging video into the flash backgrounds, etc).

I'd post this in "Helping Hands" but my guess is this would be more for fun/portfolio than making any cash!

Best wishes for nice footage in 09 - MC
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #1188
Trustee

Paul,

Quite an improvement over what I remember the first version was like. VO (expressed thoughts) were much easier to hear and background audio much better managed.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and I wish you the best of luck in the coming New Year.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #1189
Trustee

Thanks guys,

I didn't think it was that good..

I remembered your comments on audio Bruce and it certainly improves things.

Don, yea.. I got one comment from a mate here who said "is this a short film or just an average night at your place?"

any other comments, critique? - I think there are some dead spots that could be cut to tighten the whole thing up, although I like the slow pace at the start.
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #1190
Regular Crew

Somnium Sator

I did not want to jinx myself but now it's ok since I only got considered for the top ten.

Somnium Sator is a Project Direct Video Entry that was a "Potential Finalist". That counts for something in my book and I'm going to try and toss this around a few festivals. I think it has the potential. Maybe I'll get some work out of it!

YouTube - Somnium Sator - Project Direct 2009
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1191
Trustee

okay guys.. 150 odd views and 39 have watched the footage on Vimeo ... and 3 comments?

so maybe everyone agrees with what's been said and there's nothing more to add - very doubtful

or.. maybe people think it's pretty average and don't want to comment - more likely.

I want to get on and tweak the bits I think need improving so I need some critique :-

is the point of the film clear?
is it humorous?
are there technical errors I can improve on or eliminate?
Old December 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #1192
Major Player

Hi,

it's great, I like it.
Few notices :

- you keyed the red dress, but on some shot you also keyed the red lipstic. This is not consistant along the movie (but it is not a problem to me)
- Youtube video is a crap. Please, post it in better resolution on Vimeo or other real HD repository.
- could you explain (I always like to know) how it was filmed, which camera, which settings, how much light and so on.

You did a great job. Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #1193
Regular Crew

Sebastien,

Thank you for the view and feedback!

Equipment: Sony HVR-Z1, one Lowel light, Target.

We bought the furniture, except for the chairs, from Target. I filmed this deliberately the way you find it out to be. Everything that "appears" in the film is supposed to be there.

The red was not really a problem but her lipstick was not reapplied to keep it bright and it fades a bit. It really didn't bother me after in post so I don't really count it as a problem.

Have you tried the HD button for youtube? It's a very large improvement!
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1194
Major Player

Hello Michael,

I liked the site (you're right, it does have a nice intense movie feel). I'd like to speak with you about working on my site for my feature film 'Drawing With Chalk' (you can check out our current website and trailer at Welcome to Drawing Chalk Pictures

We are looking for a more professional and polished flash integrated site and would be curious as to your thoughts. Of course we do not have a lot of money but we would pay you.

Have a fantastic new year and looking forward to hearing from you.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1195
Trustee

Shawn,

One of the best of this type I have seen. The voice over was perfect, the lighting set the mood and the camera work and editing all came together.

Extremely well done in my opinion.

Good luck with it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1196
Major Player

Mystery Mardi Gras Shipwreck

A mysterious sinking, a group of dedicated scientists and technicians and a 200 year old shipwreck have all collided in the Gulf of Mexico. Four thousand feet below the choppy seas the remains of a 19th century shipwreck lie in wait and a month long expedition has been mounted to uncover her secrets. This is the deepest underwater archaeological project ever attempted in the Gulf of Mexico. And it's a race against time to uncover the Mardi Gras shipwreck and solve the mystery.

https://www.createspace.com/259141 or
Nautilus Productions - Mardi Gras Ship Wreck
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1197
Regular Crew

Thank you Bruce. I feel I can only go up from here. Now to just get the right person to notice.

That or I need to find myself some places to submit it.
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work