Show Your Work 2008 - Page 74 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old November 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #1096
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Thank you, but you would be wrong. I'm using Premiere CS3 (although an older version was used for that particular video). I like building my own edit system from components....can't do that with a Mac.
This video was shot with Sony's DSR-390, which was my workhorse until I got the XH-A1. The images from that camera are just beautiful.

So you are using premiere? Wow...no lock up issues or anything? I will have to check out that camera XH-A1
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #1097
Regular Crew

"I saw that you had an array of them set up to get that 'spin-around' shot - couldn't you use a crane for that?"

no. because the matrix effect is recording the same moment from different angels

i had like 9 operators
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #1098
Regular Crew

YOU CAN SEE SOME BTS PIC'S

HERE:Ram Shani's Photos - BTS-2 | Facebook
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1099
Regular Crew

Demo Reel help, advice please

I've been a hobbyist videographer and editor for a few years. I haven't worked for anyone as an editor, but I want to.

Here's a link to a demo reel I've been working on to show my editing skills. Please let me know what you think.

Demo Reel on Vimeo

Thank you for looking and commenting.
Ken Civian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #1100
Trustee

Ken... Typically, demo reels are designed to make people want to hire you. It's your video resume, if you will. Your clients have a story to tell and to oversimplify, if they like the way you tell a story better than your competition, you'll get the work.

Your reel doesn't tell me much. I'm not saying it's bad. It just doesn't go far enough. There's nothing in there that makes me go, "Wow", or "Cool".

For me, those reactions get generated by a combination of great shooting, careful and clean editing, thoughtful use of color grading and creative use of effects to underscore the message the maker wants to convey. No simple task that. To be honest, I'm not anywhere near as good at this as I would like.

You've made a good first step. I'd recommend your next step would be to concentrate on your story telling skills and yes, editing is a key component in that equation. You might also check out Philip Bloom's videos on Vimeo. I always find them good for inspiration.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1101
Regular Crew

Thank you for taking the time to comment Tripp.

One disadvantage I think I have is not enough quality footage to cut into a reel. I haven't done any commercial work at all. A couple of weddings for friends (one with a prosumer camera). I think the lack of footage does something to limit my story telling.

As far as my editing is concerned, I've been playing with FCP, FCS2 for the last year and learning something every time I use it. I have a full time job, so I'm not editing full time.

I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be with all this. I've watched a lot of other demo reels and understand what you're saying about the "wow" factor.

Thanks again for your comments.
Ken Civian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1102
Trustee

surfing footage

this is a really rough cut and I'm working on it at the moment but any comments would help - just in case you're wondering, I'm not looking for affirmation - I'm looking for things that need fixing.

surfing presentation night on Vimeo

I've gathered the footage over the last 12 months filming the local boys surfing. My intention is to make a doco on surfing and I've got a couple of ideas for short films so I thought I'd best practice capturing footage of surfers first - it ain't as easy as it looks.

Nothing is going top happen with this footage but the boys said they'd like to see some of it on their presentation night (excuse to hand out a few trophies and get drunk). It's this Saturday.

Looking at the footage I had and the lack of good surf, I decided to take the piss out of them - this is the result.

My aim is to give them a laugh and show as many of them as possible up on screen

Things to do
- add comic voiceover to blank sections
- add music track to 2nd half
- fix transitions between clips

It's a freebie that I've done to help me learn but I'd like to make it as good as I can in the time available
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1103
Regular Crew

XH-A1 & BitBlack Preset Test Shots

I was recently informed that the custom preset BitBlack is one of the better presets to use in conjunction with Magic Bullet so I filmed a series of test shots last weekend, applied a little Magic Bullet, and I was very pleased with the results. Here's a link to the video:
Ominous Garden on Vimeo
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #1104
Tourist

Stiletto news

Hi

Stiletto is showing at deaffest in Wolverhampton:
http://www.deaffest.co.uk

And it's been shortlisted for Clermont-Ferrand and Rotterdam. Will keep you posted with further news of screenings.

Kind regards

WLM
William Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #1105
Major Player

Interesting trailer, I thought the edit could have been a little better though. It looks well shot and the performances look good. Perhaps the film is edited better than the trailer. Would have loved to see the entire movie, any chance you'll put it up online sometime soon?
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #1106
Trustee

Based on the wealth of replies and outstanding critique ;-) I've cleaned it up and here's the second version

surfing presentation boardriders on Vimeo

Anything that really needs fixing? - apart from applying the 're shoot' filter
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1107
Regular Crew

New short/commercial for a competition

Hi everybody!

I've now made a new short for a competition here where I live.
The theme was "safe sex between the same gender".

This is my result:
snutter.no
Please give me some feedback ;-)

The words are in norwegian but the SMS screen in the opening sais "I got to know Im hiv positive. You must take a test you too!"... the end title sais "Always protect yourself"

Please keep in mind that it was made "just for fun" with very limited budget. Actually the budget was zero. It's shot with a Canon XL1 camera only with it's 16x zoom lens and wide angle in some shots... hand held and on a tripod... a terrible dolly was used in the final shot. and a few 500watt working lights

Last edited by Tor-Atle Kindsbekken; November 14th, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Tor-Atle Kindsbekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #1108
Regular Crew

I like the style! The retro titles remind me of french cinema of the 90's.
The only thing that really disturbed me was the sound (when the music comes in and the sound is cut of, and after the end credits when the sound comes back).

But overall nice trailer!
Can I the result in the future somewhere?
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #1109
Regular Crew

this looks like its going to be a very good film man! like the trailer you put together and also the music was perfect! i wish i could see the actual film

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1110
Regular Crew

Hey,
Carrotkid!
Remember me?
Kevafi on youtube!

Ironically, we now have the same camera. xha1
It's weird how small the internet world really is.

ps, nice video!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work