Show Your Work 2008 - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #961
Major Player

Yep, that about sums it up.
Nice work!
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #962
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
I liked it...well paced (although I thought the first scene lasted a bit too long), well timed edits, nice shots. Told the story of making a nice breakfast, quickly. About the only thing I think would make it a bit better is work on the exposure. Some of the scenes were over exposed and that also contributes to focus issues. Aside from those two things, very well done!
Thank you for the comment. Some people had alredy told me that the first scene is too long, but I think it contributes to a better "shock" effect when the fast-paced editing comes in.

I fully agree with you in the overexposure issue. I'm not a professional, so it's hard for me to get the look I want, because every time I see some cool shot, behind there is days of searching over the internet and reading books about how to achieve that particular look. And when it comes to making it for real, you find problems that you never imagined before...

I'll be working hard in the next project, so it looks better!

Thank you again!
Jordi Dusanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #963
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Anyone else? :-)
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #964
Major Player

Without any doubt one of the most beautiful shorts ever. This really is stunning. Simplicity above all. Less is more. This 2 minutes are a classic. I do not exagerate.

Superb acting of the guy, I love how the camera keeps rolling after he gets the heart back.

Terrific use of audio. Let this short be an example. You don't need dolly's, cranes and huge crews to make something that is universal, something that we all recognize and touches us.
I would have casted another type of girl, but that's personal, nothing against her.

Ivo, you should start realising that this 2 minutes are splendid. Many congratulations!
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #965
Major Player

I liked the acting of the guy, too.
I loved colors and everything else!
Good work!

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #966
Major Player

Thank you for sharing your reel!
I liked most of it, but I have to agree more with Lori. I myself am making reel for my company right now, and the first thing even before I gather the footage was what to put in the beginning, middle and end. sorta arranging and planning things out.
I have NO DOUBT that you are very artistic, and got some top notch tech skill. But just like Lori said, storytelling was somewhat not focused and footages were scattered.
I wrote down some of the shots in the middle: LeBron James-Guy on the sofa-Band music video-Rapper-Guitar-shoes-Guy wondering-LeBron James-Band-Guy wondering-Water Fountain at Park-Band-Rapper-Guy wondering-Rapper-Rescue Team-James LeBron- and I think you get my point.
I would definitely arrange some of it, put similar stuff closer together instead of here and there.
Here is my 2cents...
Keep up the great work, man!

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #967
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo van Aart View Post
Hello!

Just filmed my first project for filmschool. It's about...well, see it for yourself. It cost me about 5 hours to make, but everything was storyboarded and well prepared.
Shot on Canon Xh A1 with SGpro
Cut with FCP on an iMac in HDV (yes, iMacs does the job perfectly)

Have fun! Any criticism is more than welcome!
Zielsveel on Vimeo
Very good use of facial expressions and actions to indicate what was un-spoken. For her actions, it seems like her face and body language could have given more to the scene (not like I know what I'm talking about... just what I'm seeing).

Very impressive story.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #968
New Boot

First Interview

I have undertaken a recent project: Document a local string quartet as they prepare for their next concert series. I have learned that documentary is a totally different style. I am interested in all of your comments. Help out the new guy!

First interview on Vimeo

P.S. Something was messed up in the encode and/or upload, so the audio is wack.
Eric Knopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #969
Major Player

A few suggestions:
Choose a better location with less noise - that audio was not the best.
Don't shoot someone with a window behind them with bright daylight outside.
You have some interlacing issues going on there.
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:52 AM   #970
New Boot

Thank you, Dennis. Duly noted on all points. Unfortunately, I don't have the best gear around, which, I think, had more to do with the audio problems. Not enough isolation.

But the background, yes, I will agree, that was terrible planning. I may have to re-shoot with all of the sunlight off the windshields.

This is how we learn though, thanks again!

Eric
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM   #971
Major Player

There are definitely some problems with the interlacing. I have had issues with the same thing on a few of my recent projects. Does anyone know how to fix/prevent this?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM   #972
Regular Crew

thank you very much :)
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:33 AM   #973
Major Player

Make sure to select the deinterlace option from your video editor when exporting the video for use on computers and the web. This should remove the lines you are seeing in the video.
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM   #974
New Boot

Thank you, Josh. I love these boards. Everyone here is awesome.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM   #975
New Boot

I enjoyed this short. The score perfectly pushes the story along, without over-doing it. Whar filters did you use for the color? Very impressive work.
Desi Hernandez Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work