Show Your Work 2008 - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #931
Regular Crew

Nicely done.

I agree that the sci-fi theme stopped kind of suddenly. But you definitely have an eye for shots. And nice work with the letters, I assume done in After Effects.

Last edited by Matt Abramson; September 9th, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Matt Abramson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #932
Major Player

I thought generally it was very good, however there were a few things i would change if I could. The first thing is the opening shot of the bar where u zoom out from the tv to the bar, i feel it ends to abruptly which ruins an otherwise nice looking shot. I'm not quite sure but i think i see the brightness changing on the shot of the live performances which isn't major but it is noticible. But on a whole i think you captured the life of the bar very well and i like the variety in shots to match the description, i know you've mentioned the audio out of sync so i'm sure you'l sort that but again i think if you tightened up some of those shots you'd have agreat looking ad. I genuinly enjoyed viewing it.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #933
Regular Crew

I'd reverse the zooms out from the sign and from the television so that they read as zooms in. I'd avoid mixing the crane downwards shot with the two pans.Just pans will do.
Hire a food stylist or study some TVC's. The food probably tastes great but it looks very amateurishly styled. Finally, even though natural & ambient light are nice to be in, for a TVC it helps to help nature a bit. Some rim lights here and there would have added a bit of sparkle to otherwise rather flat looking shots. Also, I try to shoot for mood. Rarely between the hours of 10AM and 2PM for outdoors stuff.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #934
New Boot

Thanks for the input it is much appreciated
Rick J. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #935
Regular Crew

Thanks Lori, glad you liked it.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #936
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

Daniel I agree with both of those items, I change the zoom out from the tv to have a definite ending. Also I inserted another clip where the brightness wasn't changing on the band. Thank you for the feedback!

Paul thank you also for the feedback. I reversed the sign shot so that it would zoom in as the name is said. I realize a food stylist would be great, but for the price I was paid ($350) I probably could not even afford to talk to a stylist on the phone. And to boot the owner wasn't making anything special for the commercial; everything was shot before it left the kitchen. Yes I am serious, as food was ordered that night it was brought out to the counter and I filmed it before it went to the table.

That night no one ordered a burrito while I was there so the kitchen made one for me, after I was done with my shot I saw the cook take the burrito apart and put the rice back with the rice and shell back in the container.

I agree the outside shot could have looked better, it was later in the day around 7:00-7:30 but it was a dreary day with no clouds or bright blue skies.

I had my tota light set with me that night and used it for all the shots, any idea on how to get the shot to not look so dull? Maybe I need to look over in post, or maybe I am approaching the limits of the gl2?

Here is the updated version:
http://videomemoriesinc.com/kriegel/edit2.wmv

Thanks all,
Todd
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #937
Regular Crew

I don't do commercials, but I liked it a lot. Considering as you say, "low budget", I thought It was great.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #938
Regular Crew

My Reel for 2008 (oppioonss please )

Its posted below. I know its kinda long but I dont care ;)

Giuseppe Palumbo Reel 2008 on Vimeo
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #939
Major Player

I'm not sure whether it's about the shooting or the editing.

The editing is snazzy in some ways, but you aren't giving me anything to sink my teeth into. since I don't know what you do, it's hard to tell if you can tell a story from that reel. The images collide beautifully, but I don't know where they go and they aren't enigmatic enough to hold my attention as it is.

I think I see technical skill, and certainly some artistry, but I don't see storytelling skills. And I think focusing on communicating your ability to tell a story, might enhance our perception of your technical skills.

For what it's worth.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #940
Regular Crew

you couldntve said it better :)
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #941
Regular Crew

I liked it very much too, nice colours and overall cinematography.
Jordi Dusanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #942
Regular Crew

"FALLOUT" new short from the Diary of the Dead Short Film Contest Winners

Please check out our latest film FALLOUT. From the GRAND PRIZE WINNERS of The Weinstein Company’s/George Romero’s “Diary of the Dead” DVD film competition comes our latest film, FALLOUT.

Director Paul Del Vecchio's Blog: Horror-Movies.ca Article on FALLOUT!

Click on the link for information and CLICK ON THE THUMBS UP TO VOTE:

Thanks for the support!
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #943
Regular Crew

My first "crime" with the Jvc HD200

Hello,

I've got this cam around one month ago, and until now was making tests. This is finally something "complete".

The idea was to make a really quick cake recipe, and make it look dinamic. There are issues with the focus on some shots, and maybe some weird movements, but hey, it's my first work...

Beside all the errors, I hope you like it!

Fast.Breakfest on Vimeo

All comments are welcome!

Jordi.
Jordi Dusanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #944
Inner Circle

Agree with pretty much everything said already - overall good for low budget (I know how that goes!). My main critical comments would be:

- the food presentation was very uninviting. It was lit fine but tinfoil and plastic sauce pots look kinda cheap and nasty. To be honest, it was the initial pizza and sandwich shot that looked extremely weak to me and that made me want to find fault in the other shots! (Sorry!!).

- personally I like quiet bars, but this place looked almost morgue-quiet - especially the early shots - the garden was empty and the pan from 0.02 to 0.04 only had a few clients in shot. As the v/o is describing the unique atmosphere at that point it kinda suggests 'unique' = 'empty'. I think the issue was shooting during the day - I appreciate you can't always control these things but if it were me I would have looked to shoot at night. A bit of ambient bar noise foley (glasses clinking, laughter etc) would also lift the atmosphere somewhat.

But again, overall impression was good for a low budget commercial.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #945
Inner Circle

Updated version

http://www.videoit.uk.com/client_vid..._v502avnet.wmv

This is a slightly updated version that is being used in the UK (the other version is for the US and Canada). There are a couple of other improvements, mainly timing, colour and foley corrections.

Would welcome some criticism! One comment that a couple of people have made is that the 'white office' section is a little too long. I fully agree. Client decision I'm afraid. I managed to cut 70 seconds from the original version, after much debate, but they wouldn't agree to further cuts. Hey ho, I got paid . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work