Show Your Work 2008 - Page 61 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM   #901
Major Player

Wow, great visuals! Well done...
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:20 PM   #902
Major Player

Very impressive!
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:35 PM   #903
Regular Crew

Great work!!!! How difficult was it to key out the white background?
Tunde Anjorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM   #904
Trustee

Entire video in HD here:

Rush of Fools - Wonder of the World on Vimeo

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM   #905
Major Player

yeah, that does look interesting.

What camera did you use? And how much footage did you shoot? Did you go into it with a fairly well thought out story, or did it just kind of hatch and present itself to you?

There is a lot of fantastic indie music out there, and this generation has produced some really first rate song writers.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #906
Major Player

Good start Bill! Is there a particular audience or angle you're taking this video? If you want critical feedback, well, that's what I can offer!

The concept comes through, the shots make sense, the editing is well done, and the sound is good. This feels like a video made in the last 80's/90's with a matching-era Hi8 camera. With the abundance of cheap HD digital cameras available, the older camera-look detracts from the video; it could just be the lighting, but I think it's more than that. I'm sure it would have helped had you been able to be the shooter.

That said, if he shot this himself and he's not a trained videographer, it was well done (stable, clean shots that are quite usable).

The sax shot looks cleaner/brighter than the rest - perhaps colour correcting the other footage would assist in bringing together a more uniform look. The still photos that are colour are far more punchy than the footage of the singer.

Good job!
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM   #907
Major Player

Thanks for the look and comments. Funny you should mention Hi-8, the shots of my sax playign were done with a Sony VX-3. I don't know what camcorder he used, except it was mini-DV.

He shot the clips of him singing, well I believe his wife did most of the shooting, and the lighting was horrible. I corrected it as much as I thought I could, but there was a lot of grain.

the stills, yes, they are pretty clean, I did pump up the contrast a bit, but we were getting close to the contest deadline so I made it "look done" as we used to say in TV news. ;-) I could probably go back and drain most of the color from them. hmmm.

I've been eyeing a Canon HV30 and actually held one the other day and my goodness it's TINY! A long way from the TK76's and Ikegami's heck, even a long way from my DSR250 (at work). Not sure I can deal with something that small, but the budget won't go for anything more "substantial" maybe a used PD150 or GL1 but that is staying SD.

well, I got a bit off topic there didn't I. LOL

Thanks again.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM   #908
Major Player

Nice! Thanks for the explanation and detail into your process. It does look done, so that's good.

I own an HV20 - no joke, it is as good as everyone says it is. Get one - I have mine on rails with a matte box, 35mm adapter - the added heft makes it very workable. I've used it without the rig, and it's a bit light, but in stable hands it produces shots that people can't believe it shot. The music video I shot in this Forum area was shot with the HV20 (comment too if you'd like: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/show-your...rformance.html )

I've used the DSR-250, PD170 and, I can highly recommend the HV20!
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #909
Regular Crew

Blind Sided

This was the 2nd film I made for the Zone Horror Cut! competition, the 1st being "The Bloodstained Moth" (posted earlier). Again it's a 2 minute horror short. It was made principally to give a run out for my new camera, the Canon HV20. In contrast to "The Bloodstained Moth", it was shot very quickly with little light setup.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Blind Sided on Vimeo
Mark Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #910
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Starfelt View Post
What camera did you use? And how much footage did you shoot? Did you go into it with a fairly well thought out story, or did it just kind of hatch and present itself to you?

There is a lot of fantastic indie music out there, and this generation has produced some really first rate song writers.
Thank you for your interest! The camera I used was a Canon XL2. The film is not yet completed, it's actually about halfway done but we have about 50 hours worth of footage. We had no story at all to start out with, we are basically forming a plot based on what the interviewees say, which to me is a lot more exciting.

I agree that there is a lot of great music out there, and that's what really inspired us to make this documentary. It's basically three people making it, a musician, a photographer and me.

Thank you again for your interest!
Kevin Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM   #911
Regular Crew

My "Mini-reel", I guess.

I made a video for my high school film group. We all just graduated from high school last semester and I decided to do one last production for them. I edited clips into a unfinished "Apologize" music video and it turned out to be a great little final project before I hit college. Read the description that is provided on the page as well. Comments are welcome!

The inVISIONit Projects: 2006-2008 on Vimeo
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #912
Major Player

Very cool - I wish I had experience like that coming out of high school. Very nice reel.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #913
Major Player

The Wild Horses of Assateague Island

This short video started out only as a weekend exercise in following movement with a tripod but I had a few "happy accidents" along the way. I'm so pleased with how it turned out that I wanted to share it with you.

Chincoteague and Assateague on Vimeo
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #914
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Gioja View Post
Very cool - I wish I had experience like that coming out of high school. Very nice reel.
Thanks Philip. I didn't know if anyone checks this section anymore.
Michael Rapadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #915
New Boot

yo howd u get those letters there where hes pointing them out 02:57. thats sick
Jesse Vazquez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work