Show Your Work 2008 - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #826
Regular Crew

Lisl and the Lorlok - Feature Dark Fairy Tale

Now shooting. We are in our second week of principal photog. and looking to be done shooting on or around the 17th. Screen grabs will come shortly.

Official Website www.lislandthelorlok.com
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #827
Regular Crew

Shamwari: A Wild Life

This is the project that i have just finished working on and my very first credit!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SHAMWA...FE/15885407631

super exicited about it !
I editied and worked as third camera. and production assistant oh and computer chick.
I would love to here what people think!
cheers

Jen
Jennie Stenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #828
New Boot

ALPS ATMOSPHERE - A new Sony EX1/Letus Extreme short

It's here, I hope you like it:

http://www.marcomenestrina.com/news.html
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #829
Major Player

Mission: Liberia (feedback appreciated)

Greetings

I posted an unimpressive trailer with some of the footage from this mission a while back. I'm finishing up the main feature (~20 minutes) and, since I really haven't touched any sort of video in about twelve years and have nobody else to confer with on fine-tuning (or even rough tuning) the product, anything you all could add would be helpful.

Last time, sound and color management were mentioned as two big problems (along with iffy camerawork, but I can't redo that). I've never dealt with color correcting video or fiddling with audio before, tried it anyway, so if there are any obvious gaffes or tips, pointing those out would help, too.

Thanks.

edit: hmm... link would help, huh?

http://www.vimeo.com/1484997
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #830
Regular Crew

n e w MUSIC VIDEO ;)

New Music Video I finished recently. Shot 2 days in Kentucky/Cincinnati . Shot on XHA1 and Nikon Primes. FCP and AE7. Just tryin to do something different ! Its' the only way lol ,..

www.gpalumbo.blogspot.com

Dunny ft. Hi-Tek - "513rd Anthem"
http://www.vimeo.com/1425502
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #831
Major Player

I kept waiting for the "something different" but I didn't see it.
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #832
Major Player

I think in this case its wrong to complain about cam work and colour correction because the content is the important part i.e the good work that you are doing over there. I found it perfectly watchable as far as camera work goes.

With Colour correction and audio you just have to sit for hours and play around with the settings, trying out all the filters and effects. I don't know what you edited it on so i don't know if you have this available to you but using a noise print to reduce background noise is one of the best things about any audio program. Say you had a hiss all the way through your clip, you just highlight a small part of the hiss, set a noise print and apply it tp the whole clip and it will take the hiss out completely. You can try applying it to any unwanted audio like fridge noise, fans, i even used it on cars once, its saved my ass a few times.

Here is a small tutorial on how to use the one i use which is soundtrack pro that comes with final cut studio although most sound programs have this ability.

http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archi...dtrack_pro.php

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Andy.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #833
Wrangler

I think you found a lot of good things in the footage that you can work with. Here are some things I'd try:

1. Re-arrange the pieces so it builds into a more compelling story. Right now I think your audience is getting ahead of the story in many places. I really liked the drumming sequence that becomes sparks in the night with the pastor saying "You are the light". I'd try that at the beginning and see if it works. Or you might try the piece at the end with the blonde lady telling the story on the altar, I especially like the part where she says, "Are you ready to go to Lofa?" (edit it to make it shorter). I think it sends a more compelling message to the audience about the piece. There are other pieces that could work too, those ones just came to mind.

2. Narration - I felt a disconnect between the narration and the video. It could be the visuals don't match, it could be the edits are in the wrong places and are leading or coming late with the narration. It could be both. But the narration sequences started to drag after awhile. One thing you might try is letting those pieces breath more so that the audience can absorb the narration points better. Also try putting in "fluff video" between sequences of people talking (in the video and narration), that might help it breath a little. Specifically, when the Liberian pastor is speaking, I felt like the cuts before and after, came too fast to remember what he was talking about.

Anyway good job, it's always a process editing, especially when you're expected to do something spectacular with whatever they give you.

Also you might want to check out Pray The Devil Back To Hell it's a film about Liberia which won the Tribeca Film Festival 2008 Best Documentary Feature Award. I was lucky enough to join a private screening with the director and editor (my editing instructor), really great documentary, grabs you and just keeps you riveted the whole time. Supposed to be a short run in theatres near the end of 2008, then later on PBS.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #834
Major Player

Thanks for the link!

As to the tools-in-question...

Shot with a PD150, certain shots with a DVD103, (those two don't match together so well :D), some of the "post-mission interview" shooting with a TRV950 . Onboard mics everywhere. All the editing has been in FCP5. The church computer has Soundtrack... I didn't try to play with it in there yet. There were a few tracks where I found FC's "Hum Remover" aud filter settings that perfectly matched the hum I'll get from the PD150's mic in certain settings. There were a number of scenes with people talking all over one another that took a large amount of fiddling with questionable results. There's a bunch of blown-out audio that I know I can't do a darned thing about (or is there?).
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #835
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
2. Narration - I felt a disconnect between the narration and the video. It could be the visuals don't match, it could be the edits are in the wrong places and are leading or coming late with the narration. It could be both. But the narration sequences started to drag after awhile. One thing you might try is letting those pieces breath more so that the audience can absorb the narration points better. Also try putting in "fluff video" between sequences of people talking (in the video and narration), that might help it breath a little. Specifically, when the Liberian pastor is speaking, I felt like the cuts before and after, came too fast to remember what he was talking about.
I believe I agree with you there... originally, I put together 30 minutes, then got a strict time limit of 22... I think I made the mistake of trying to squish everything instead of just letting some more bits go (and, of course, probably tossed some that should've stayed and kept some that should've gone).

Quote:
Also you might want to check out Pray The Devil Back To Hell it's a film about Liberia which won the Tribeca Film Festival 2008 Best Documentary Feature Award. I was lucky enough to join a private screening with the director and editor (my editing instructor), really great documentary, grabs you and just keeps you riveted the whole time. Supposed to be a short run in theatres near the end of 2008, then later on PBS.
Thanks! I'll be watching for it
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #836
Wrangler

What I usually do is find the mini-stories within a piece and build those as separate sequences. Then I find/build up the "most interesting story" and drop the mini-story sequences into it, at strategic places. The end result is it feels like that "most interesting story" gets woven into the other pieces. The mini-stories act as side trips to keep the piece moving along and interesting.

The upside of this method is that when "someone" wants the piece shorter you can shorten the piece very quickly (in a matter of seconds) without losing the overall story. Just find the least interesting mini-story and delete. Or the other "request", they'd like to highlight a different story with the piece. It's very easy to take that story and then drop in the different sequences as needed.

In Final Cut Pro, I do this with nested sequences. In Vegas, I do this with nested projects. Not sure about Avid, Edius, or Premiere but I'm sure they have similar functions.
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #837
Major Player

Travel Doc

I'm pretty excited about this video - it's a trip we're taking next week. Let me know what you think of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOYu3khrbIk

I'm shooting and uploading as we're down there, to let people back home know how we're doing.

First time I've ever done a trip doc like this, but I'm stoked.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #838
Major Player

Bodybuilding supplement promo - need feedback - rush!

Here is the first two and a half minutes of the promo I am working on for Maximum Human Performance, a bodybuilding supplement company.

http://www.vimeo.com/1497713

I have about an hour of workout footage that I shot recently...

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p...eononeknee.jpg

...and about a DOZEN hours of old footage and interviews shot by others in the past year, along with many still photos from the Muscular Development archive. This clip comprises the first page of the script that was supplied to me.

Time is of the essence! I have to complete this by the end of the month and the script is 7 pages long! Feedback is valuable.
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #839
Major Player

I found that compelling watching even though I can't stand the whole body building narcissist thing.
It has all those core 'great story' attributes of someone setting a goal, failing, not being deterred, further dissappointments, regrouping etc.
Inspiring stuff.
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #840
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I found that compelling watching even though I can't stand the whole body building narcissist thing.
That's a nice compliment. Thanks.

I too am not a fan of the sport, but you are right, all the elements are there if you just bring them out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work