Show Your Work 2008 - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #811
Major Player

Nice package! I watched the youtube trailer - I want to see the film now. The music, acting, lighting, sets, graphics all fit together nicely, well done. It looks like 16mm, so I'm assuming it was shot on 16 - was it?
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:15 AM   #812
Regular Crew

No comments or critiques at all, guys?
Joe Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:40 AM   #813
Tourist

No actually...

...it was shot on HD. A panasonic variocam with movietube adaptor.

We had a fantastic grader at the Moving Picture Company who gave everything a very filmic look.

(I'd get in trouble posting a 16mm film on a DV forum wouldn't I?)
William Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM   #814
Regular Crew

This is very good! Very well out together and done. almost had me thinking it was real like a 60min or dateline type of documentary man. How long did it take for you to put this together? Great video

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM   #815
Regular Crew

hey great film!! Story was awsome and the shot selection i thought was also on point with what you wanted to do they fit very well with all the sequences that were going on in the movie! for some reason thought my favortie shot was when she went into the brifecase and pulled the gun out! Dont know why my i always like those shot angles!!!

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM   #816
Major Player

Thank you for the compliments. It was done for the 48 hour film project so it was done in a weekend. Written Friday night. Shot on Saturday. Edited on Sunday. It was a lot of fun to work on.

Here's a breakdown of the weekend. idea meeting friday night 7-12 script written 12am -6am. Shooting Saturday 11am-6pm. Rough edit done midnight. Resumed editing Sunday morning at 9. completed at 6:30 pm.

Last edited by Jeremy Doyle; August 3rd, 2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added times
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #817
Regular Crew

Hey Joe, I think the lack of responce is because you first have to download it from a torrent and it's pretty long, people on the internet tend to be a bit lasy i suppose.

Anywayz, I skipped trough the movie because a lack of time to watch it completely, but I must say it looks very good. Seems a pretty serious subject, especially for someone at a age of 17, to handle in a film. But I must say you get a great performance out of the actors. I also like the close photography, even though i felt personally that the framing sometimes was a bit 'off' but that was just my feeling. Also the recorded sound sometime didn't match the professional look.
Ca you say how much your budget was for this film?

BTW, is Joe Desmond your internet alias instead of Harpreet Dehal?
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #818
Regular Crew

Nicely done.

The audio was good, but not as good as the shooting, so that is the only thing that could use improving.
It sounds like you were using good quality gear, I think the room you were shooting in was the problem. Rigging up a couple of pieces of acoustical foam just outside camera view on either side of the actor could help with what sounds like comb filtering to me. Although you would have to work around the lights of course.
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #819
Regular Crew

Thanks for your response!

The camera was a Camera XL-2 and the budget was a little less than $4,000. A lot of it went towards rentals and food. We never had a sound guy so the audio is one of my bigger regrets (often times it was just a cast or crew member, or even myself after hitting the record button aiming the mic and boom pole)... I fed it into the back of the XL-2, as well, so that might be another issue.

The actors were great, I agree. The adults were cast off of Craigslist and the teens were my fellow classmates from high school.

BTW, for those of you who are wary, the download is smoking fast. I downloaded it yesterday to test the speeds... On a FIOS Verizon line, it took only a few minutes to download the whole 700mb movie (connection belongs to a lucky friend, and with 100+ seeders, the download speed was averaging 2000KB!!)

Cheers,
Joe Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #820
Regular Crew

tried to shoot 35mm style, without adapter

with this short action sequence i tried to shoot as 35mm esque as i could without using 35mm adapters. i used a mini dv , sony dsr 400p

tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttzBZ3Fcdw&fmt=18
Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #821
Inner Circle

I'll tell you what I think Matthias: I liked it! A great audio mix, and mix is the word that springs to mind - from light to shadows, long shot to closeups, static to movement, long takes to quick cuts, deep dof to shallow dof.

And I liked the quality you were able to squeeze out of Youtube too - how did you manage that?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #822
Major Player

Well that is a nicer camera to begin with. Looks great even on Youtube.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #823
Major Player

Well here's the scoop on how the client liked it.....He was really impressed and had nothing but positive comments. I talked with him about how I took an approach that did not necessarily become a documentary style. He thought it worked really well and gave a good glimpse at the performance and his art. He liked the effects, titles and promotional style (which was a major concern for me considering he was very against the initial suggestion of such things).

Finally he offered to do more modelling work for stock footage to offset the time I spent editing together the promo clip.

So he's happy, I'm happy and I appreciate everyones comments.

All the best,

James
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #824
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark, I take all the points on board and will give it a go....again many thanks for your response...
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #825
Regular Crew

And some video. Rough smash cut of some footage. Compressed down from 720P

http://www.kewlaid.com/baynewerkz/vi..._WEB_SMALL.mov
Derek Nickell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work