Show Your Work 2008 - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #661
Major Player

2008 shooting reel

I just did my first demo reel and am fairly happy with it. This is footage I've shot over the past year. I'm happy to say I had three freelance offers in the first 24 hours of posting it to facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=16670414631
(let me know if the link doesn't work. I'll post it to Vimeo when I have time)

I'll probably do another one in six months so any suggestions on how it could be done better would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #662
Regular Crew

Very nice indeed! I added you as a FB friend I liked it that much.....;0)
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #663
Major Player

i dont have a facebook acount, but its required for seeing your video. Would be cool, if u had some other link...
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #664
New Boot

Bicycle parts teaser.

This is a demo for a parts manufacturer new parts teaser. We used last years parts for the demo so no secrets are revealed!

http://blackbagfilms.com/srm1smallwtrmrk.mov

comments welcome

Michael Azzariti
Director Cameraman
Black Bag Films, Inc.
Michael Azzariti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #665
Trustee

Nice job. Lot's of good camera moves. Could you explain how you got some of the shots?
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #666
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Nice job. Lot's of good camera moves. Could you explain how you got some of the shots?
Paul,

I've been doing table top shooting for TV commercials for about twenty years now, so I used the tricks I learned along the way. I hope this helps.

All kidding aside, I used a mechanical DC powered turntable (adjustable speed and direction) a large diffused light as key, hard red rim light, less diffused fill on the right with red and blue gel.. A bare fixture gelled blue for the background. Also a few kicker cards as needed to open up some shadows. I shot the turntable at a steady speed, and in one or two shots stopped the table and reversed direction in the shot.

I used an Indian copy of the RedRocks DOF adapter with Nikon 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8. The awful ground glass shows clearly in the background. I shot using my Panasonic HVX200 using the cine gamma at 720 30p.

In post production / edit, using Premier Pro CS3 and cutting to a music track, I used the razor tool to slice each individual scene into three scenes: the in, the hero and the out. I then used the time rate tool to compress the in and the out to a very quick pace. Since the scenes were cut from the same scene, the abrupt speed change appears to be done in-camera. This is most apparent in the scene involving the cut-away sprocket set. A bit of color correction and what you see is the result.

Regards,

Michael Azzariti
Director Cameraman
Black Bag Films, Inc.
Michael Azzariti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #667
Trustee

Thanks Michael. Again, nice job and a very thorough look behind the scenes.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #668
Major Player

It's Dark in Here - The Beginnings of a Short Film

http://www.vimeo.com/1096877

Put together for Bloom's first film competition and or excuse to go shoot. Put some self imposed restrictions on myself mainly;

One person, one camera, one light, amd one location.

This short was inspired by Ted Nugent's "Journey to the Center of your Mind". Passing and exploring the dark recesses of one's individual psyche.

Comments are welcome

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #669
Major Player

Thanks, Phil!

Okay, here's the Vimeo link:
http://www.vimeo.com/1156436

The aspect ratio came out wrong but that's what's great about Vimeo's replace feature. I'll have to do that tomorrow.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #670
Regular Crew

Great vid as always. :)

I would like to try this game too - sadly none of my buddies or colleagues is interested in playing it. :(

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #671
Regular Crew

Absolutely superb! Really well thought out and masterfully shot. Wizard!

That mono footage is extremely clean and crisp,impressive.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #672
Major Player

Killer compression

Really cool Mike! The thing that struck me the most was how good it looked for web compression. Super clean!
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #673
Major Player

Jeff, Very nice. I'm curious, If you shot it with the XL-2, why did you guys shoot 4/3 instead of 16/9?

I just finished a pilot, that I too shot with the XL-2 but shot it 16/9.
You can check it out on my website. www.sharkvp.com.

Another question. Are you guys selling the DVD yourselves? Are you pitching it to any networks?

I've always wanted to go to monument valley, I bet you had a great time shooting there.
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #674
Major Player

Pilot trailer

My company just finished a tv pilot. The show is called 15 Minutes. It's about everyday people who have amazing stories, who otherwise would not have an outlet to tell their story. That's where the show comes in, and how we came up with the title for the series.
Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame.

We shot the entire episode with a Canon XL-2, 16/9. Some of it was shot 24p.
We used a 5 piece lighting kit, various lights and azden wireless mics.

We are currently shopping it to networks. The goal is to get it picked up as a series.

The trailer is on the main page of our website. www.sharkvp.com

Sorry tried to upload the clip here but it wouldn't load.
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #675
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the compliment!

Hi Mark,

It's prolly the trailer (had a helluva time exporting to the web!), but we did shoot in 16x9. The Film Baby site http://www.filmbaby.com/films/3003 that shows our trailer was encoded in 4x3! On our website http://madjavaproductions.com/915.html which shows a better quality res, shows it in 4x3 also; just hadn't had time to update it.

We didn't want to do e-commerce through our website (actually didn't know how to :), so we thought we'd distribute through Film Baby instead. And no we're not pitching to any networks. We were commissioned to produce the documentary to be shown at Goulding's Lodge's small theater in Monument Valley, so the intention was always for that. We were even reluctant to enter it in film festivals :)

If you do get a chance, Monument Valley is a worthwhile trip. There are other trips nearby that is worth going to. Check out Jim Miller's bike trip with his XHA1 through the southwest, and this one is near Monument Valley-- http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=122798

We actually produced a promo tourism dvd for San Juan County, Utah, which a chunk of Monument Valley is a part of. Hope to post videos of those soon!

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work