New 5D Mk3 User at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 5th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Major Player

New 5D Mk3 User

I currently am using a batch of crop Canons 60D, T2i, T3i and will soon be taking stock of 5d mk3. Having never used the 5d mkii I am looking forward to the full frame experience.

I have searched the forum but didnt find any answers to the following:

What is the max ISO you will use for filming? On the crop bodies I dont go above 800 if I can at all help it and always seem to be wide open (I do mostly low-light events). I am hoping that using the 24-105 f4 with a high-enough ISO will give me clean footage with more range to stay in focus..?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: New 5D Mk3 User

Your current "crop" (bad pun) of cameras can't even come close to the high ISO usability of the 5D mk3.
The noise has a very different look that kinda mimics film. Fine grain not blotchy garbage. The other thing that will blow you away is how much truer the colors are at high ISO.

So with those things out there, the max high ISO becomes rather subjective. I have shot what I deem usable footage at 6400. Others might not see that footage as usable but for the subject matter, it works. I also highly recommend Neat or Magic Bullet Noise Reduction as it easily cleans up any footage. Takes some time to render so only use it on your final edit but you will be amazed at what comes out the other end. Especially from the mk3 as its noise is much more consistent and apparently easier for the software to deal with.

The 24-105 is not my favorite lens. It does have IS which is the only reason I am keeping it. Does a nice job on video. I also have the 24-70 2.8L which obviously is faster but loses the IS. I'll take a faster lens over IS for video any day of the week. I shoot tripod, shoulder mount, GlideCam or crane. If I want shakey I'll do handheld.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy!
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Quick note on the 60d. If you use 1250 instead of 800 it'll be cleaner and brighter. On the mkiii I try not to go above 10000 which is pretty much useable right out of the camera. But that's a wedding scenario. Reception stuff. You must get the shot. Last few weddings I've used the tamron 24-70 with their version of IS. 2.8and IS. Works pretty good.
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the ingo chaps. I'm thinking about the 24-105 as currently I film ceremonies with the 17-55 2.8 IS on the 60D on a monopod. The 2.8 gets the result and the IS saves loads of time stabilizing in post. I've been using Neat Video for some time now, it's well worth the price.

My only doubt is that the 24-105, even at a higher ISO wont be fast enough at f4.

For the receptions I'll continue using my fast primes I guess.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I haven't needed to go above 3200 ISO, so I can't speak to what the upper limit might be... but at 3200 ISO with a nice fast zoom, I've not even needed to use noise reduction in post... very nice and clean. My understanding is that if you go above that you will probably won't to plan on at least a little bit of noise clean-up in post.

Also, I agree that the image aesthetics, noise etc. are in a completely different class from the 60D (which also own and like). Really, Really nice.

You're going to love it!

Another bonus is that audio is much improved as well. I routinely record audio direct to camera (without a mixer etc.) and get outstanding results.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

There is no noise at all at ISO6400 although the image is getting a bit soft as the 5D3 uses heavy duty noise reduction. As with the 5D2 it's better noise-wise to turn up the ISO so the scene is correctly exposed rather than be underexposed as then it will look like crap). With the 5D3 you can film in almost any situation with the 24-105mm F/4L. Don't forget that in an emergency if you really need another stop of light that you can always drop down to a shutter of 1/30. Shooting weddings nobody will notice a shutter speed of 1/30 in the ceremony or speeches. It's better to have a little extra motion blur than be underexposed.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Major Player

I've found the 3200 is my max iso. I have shot at 6400 but didn't like the results personally
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Because of the softness or noise?
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Major Player

It's the Noise.
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I've found the 3200 is my max iso. I have shot at 6400 but didn't like the results personally
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
Because of the softness or noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
It's the Noise.
It sounds like it's underexposed then. When correctly exposed at ISO6400 the 5D3 is noise free but softer than at lower ISO. I'm filming weddings & other events so my standards for image quality may be lower than yours:-) at least I sometimes have to live with lower quality than I would like but honestly I am quite happy using ISO6400 or even higher provided that it is well exposed. My upper limit on the 5D2 is ISO3200.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD