5D3 not smooth at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 16th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5D3 not smooth

I just purchased my 5dmkIII and it is a great upgrade to the mkII but all of my .mov have a jerky look. I have it in All-I 16:9 and I have tried 4 different cf cards. from the lexar 400x professional 32g, the delkin 500x 32 which I use in my XF300 and this sample video which was shot on the Lexar pro 600x cf card. I just can't get any clip to be smooth. I have brought them into FCPX and exported them in various types from a straight export to you tube compression, 1080 to sd. I hope it is something simple and not the camera. Anybody else with this type of experience. I am on a Quad core mac desktop, with 16 gigs of ram, and none of the other cameras have had this. Any experience would be great. This is a simple pan of the flower bed and it has at least 3 little jerks in it in a 4 sec clip. I just uploaded it straight out of the camera to youtube so I don't know if it will show up or not.
Thanks

here is the youtube link to the file, It is smoother on you tube than on the original output.

video test - YouTube
Scott Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 5D3 not smooth

Hi Scott. I think I see what you're talking about, although it's hard because the clip is so short and youtube sends me to the next video.

I assume you're at 24p - what's your shutter speed set to?
Andrew Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What that looks like to me is a tripod pan with stabilization on. Did you have stabilization on for the pan ?
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
What that looks like to me is a tripod pan with stabilization on. Did you have stabilization on for the pan ?
+1

I've accidentally left IS on a couple of times on tripod (switching from photo to video with a bunch of lenses there's a lot to keep track of!) and that's the kind of skip I see. It doesn't look like dropped frames which would be a more serious issue.

Shutter mismatch wouldn't look like this either. That shows up with more of a strobing when a lot of motion is being captured.

Can you provide details of your settings? Especially the lens and if it has IS.
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, and i apologize for not giving enough info. It was on a tripod, 1/50th shutter speed, f5.6, 70-200l, stablization turned off, and lens set to 70mm,

It was out side but early in the morning and no ND. I shot 4 different durations and just loaded this one up so it would be a little faster. I will upload a 10 sec pan. In all of them especially on the full version there is a lot of jerky frames. It almost looks like it drops a frame, or the cf card doesn't keep up or there is a glitch in the firmware or something.
any thoughts would be great, I don't want to have to send this off to canon.
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here is a link where you can view or even download the original clip straight out of the camera. I would love to hear if they are jumpy on someone elses system. I tried it on my laptop as well and they look jumpy there as well
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39249867/KR8A3834.MOV
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

And here is a longer clip uploaded to you tube, it is a different clip, not just a longer cut of the first. These were brought into fcpx and they look very jumpy, I just use the "share" (i hate that name for export, but that is another discussion) and use the you-tube selection. So nothing has been done to them other than an export.
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hepler View Post
Here is a link where you can view or even download the original clip straight out of the camera. I would love to hear if they are jumpy on someone elses system. I tried it on my laptop as well and they look jumpy there as well
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39249867/KR8A3834.MOV
Scott, I downloaded the file and it plays smoothly, so it is not your camera. The likely culprit is that your computer can't keep up with these MOV files. I don't operate a Mac, but you might transcode to ProRes in FCP and see if it plays smoothly - I expect it will.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I thought it was the computer as well but it just doesn't make sense. I have a 5d2 and it plays them fine. I have a xf300 which makes a larger file than the 5d and it plays them fine. It is only the files from the mark 3. I did convert one of the clips with pavtube converter to pro res 422, and h264 as well and the same thing. What is frustrating is that every single clip from the mk3 is jumpy. It is confusing that it was smooth when you downloaded the file. Thanks for doing that. And if it was just my mac, then why is the you tube uploads jumpy? and when I burn a dvd and play it on my tv it is still jumpy. Im still trying to figure it out.

thanks

scott
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Scott,

My Mark 3 does this too when playing back in QT, and it's a little unnerving for sure! But I downloaded your file and played it back in AE and Premiere, and they look nice there. So the good news is, the camera is fine. It looks as smooth as you would expect it to. Just for the heck of it, I may encode it and upload to vimeo... if I do, I'll send you a link and you can see for yourself.

I think the video files from the Mark3 are a little more resource intensive to playback on your computer than the ones the Mark2 produce... that's probably why you are seeing the "stroby" look.

If you have an HDMI cable, hook your camera up directly to a monitor and have a look. It will look the way you expect it to.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I did a quick encode and uploaded to Vimeo. (because I have that kind of time on my hands :)
Playback may stutter a bit, but if it does, it's because of Vimeo/internet not the video file.

https://vimeo.com/user9825084/review...215/72477b40f9
John Carroll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD