Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:36 AM   #586
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Went to buy Class 10 cards tonight. For the last year I've had my nose deep in RAW cameras that have SSDs -- which is great because I've learning a lot.

The Various Flavors of Raw | www.creativeplanetnetwork.com

But, it seems these days there are now "speeds" associated with Classes. Who knew!

So I bought one Sandisk Class 10 Ultra 30MBps and one Sandisk Class 10 Extreme Plus 80MBps.

Which do I need?
Steve, I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC Class 10 with a speed class of 1. But it advertises a 95mb/s speed rate. Like you, my head spins with all these different classes & speeds.

But I can tell you it works flawlessly in my AX100. Have not had a single hiccup in 4K.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:41 AM   #587
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Have you tried Vegas 10? My Vegas 10 will not recognize XAVC-S or XAVC files. Says invalid format and refuses to put on the timeline.

Vegas 12 works fine as expected.

Ron Evans

EDIT: XAVC is an mxf wrapper and XAVC-S is mp4. Neither will work in Vegas 10 or Vegas 11 on my system.
Just as an FYI, I downloaded the free Sony Movie Studio Platinum, and it works fine with XAVC-S as they have added those as presets.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:47 AM   #588
Trustee

Not sure if any of you have seen this edited video from an AX100 owner on his first day with the camera. It's very nicely done and shows the capabilities of this camera in the right hands:

Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM   #589
Major Player

In your opnion will WD Western Digital TV work with 4K files after updating its firmware?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM   #590
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
In your opnion will WD Western Digital TV work with 4K files after updating its firmware?
Not the current model no, it's strictly HD only.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:31 PM   #591
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Just as an FYI, I downloaded the free Sony Movie Studio Platinum, and it works fine with XAVC-S as they have added those as presets.
Yes you can see here that all but the standard $49 Movie Studio 13 will edit XAVC-S.

So did the FDR-AX100 come with Movie Studio Platinum or Vegas Pro12 ? Looks like only Vegas Pro 12 will support full 4K.

Movie Studio 13 Product Comparisons

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:02 PM   #592
Trustee

Ron, it came with a free download of Movie Studio Platinum. That does support 3840X2160 and 4096X2160
Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM   #593
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ron, it came with a free download of Movie Studio Platinum. That does support 3840X2160 and 4096X2160
That's good. Specs do not always agree with what is in the product.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:37 AM   #594
Major Player

Saw one of these on display at the camera store and popped my SD card in and shot a couple slom mo clips. Vegas Pro 12 identified the AVCHD files as:
Video: 1440x1080x12 29.970 fps interlaced
Audio: 48,000 Hz, Stereo, Dolby AC-3
From the handout literature, it would appear to have a bit rate of 9Mbps in this mode.

There was definitely a time limit. There was a bar that turns green while shooting in high speed, like it's letting you see the buffer fill up. Not sure, just a guess. I should add that the menu system did not have English language option so that made for a little more challenge. The clerk and I fumbled through getting my card formatted and then getting the camera into high-speed mode.

Here's the weird part. I timed how long it would stay in RECORD mode and it was 12 seconds each time. Get home and open the clips in Vegas. They play back in slow motion but not for the expected 48 seconds, only 12 seconds. So, maybe it can only get 3 seconds of high-speed. (????)

Can someone with a camera check this please?

Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; March 23rd, 2014 at 05:53 AM. Reason: bit rate update
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:38 AM   #595
Major Player

Camera must have been in Golf Swing mode. The manual says Golf Swing is recorded in AVCHD and High Speed Record mode is done in XAVC S HD mode. Maybe it didn't go into this mode due to some issue with my SD card. I used a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s class 10/UHS class 1 card.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:42 AM   #596
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Steve, I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC Class 10 with a speed class of 1. But it advertises a 95mb/s speed rate. Like you, my head spins with all these different classes & speeds.
But I can tell you it works flawlessly in my AX100. Have not had a single hiccup in 4K.
Same card as you and I get continuous "can't record XACX 4K" which is nuts! Flashing yellow light say no memory at all!

Formatting doesn't help. But it is a 16GB card which should offer 30 minutes,

Will try 32GB 30Mbps Class 10. Nope!

Only AVCHD is supported.

SOLUTION: format as EX-FAT Using OS X Disk Utility.

The in-camera format does not work! Must only do a FAT format.

Now I wonder if the 32GB Class 10 with a 30MBps rating is fast enough. So much cheaper!

60mbps -- let's assume is 80mbps with optional 3mbps mp4 is only 10MBps. Allowing a 2X margin is still under 30. Sony sells 45MBs cards and I think so does BB.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; March 23rd, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:01 AM   #597
Trustee

Quote:
Same card as you and I get continuous "can't record XACX 4K" which is nuts! Flashing yellow light say no memory at all!

Only AVCHD is supported
The card needs to be first formatted exFat. 64GB SDXC cards come formatted exFat. For your cards, format exFat in the computer then format the card in the AX100.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:16 AM   #598
Trustee

Quote:

Only AVCHD is supported.

SOLUTION: format as EX-FAT Using OS X Disk Utility.

The in-camera format does not work! Must only do a FAT format.

Now I wonder if the 32GB Class 10 with a 30MBps rating is fast enough. So much cheaper!

60mbps -- let's assume is 80mbps with optional 3mbps mp4 is only 10MBps. Allowing a 2X margin is still under 30. Sony sells 45MBs cards and I think so does BB.
That's weird Steve. I bought the camera from Value Electronics and brought the sealed card with me. Robert and I cut it open, I popped it in the camera (no formatting) and have been recording ever since in 4K.

I wonder why you had issues? Was your card used before? Mine was fresh out of the packing.

Edit: Ah, Mark has the answer! Mine was a 64gig card and thus was pre-formatted properly for the AX100. Thanks Mark.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:50 AM   #599
Inner Circle

for SD card class reflect the write speed, and the logo reflects the type of BUS.
a circle with a 10 inside is a logo for old bus, a 1 inside a U is for the new bus version 1, but speeds are the same.
C10 or U1 are same write speed, and you often see card with both logo on it.
We will see soon U1-II , this is cards with the new bus version version 2, that will probalby allow fast speeds (like U2 that would be equal to a C20).
The naming of the card (SD, SDHC, SDXC) are more related to the capacity of the card (SD goes up to 4gig, SDHC up to 32, SDXC up to 2TB) and the formatting (SD use FAT, SDHC use FAT32, SDXC use exFAT). You can reformat a card using another format scheme but you need to check if your device can accept it.

the fact is many card exceed write speed when reading them , so you can find another indication like 90mb/s that would be a read speed. If you get a very high read speed you can also expect a write speed exceeding the class advertised.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM   #600
Regular Crew

It's been established that during recording of 4K to the internal card, no signal is sent out from the HDMI port, which means you can't use a field monitor connected via HDMI. I wonder whether the wi-fi capability might provide a means of monitoring on a tablet while recording 4K.

The 190 page pdf manual mentions using the PlayMemories Mobile app as a wireless Remote Commander with a smart phone or tablet. It wasn't clear whether the image being recorded is displayed on the tablet/phone's screen, or whether it just displays a virtual set of controls for zoom, record, stop, etc, (similar to the included wireless hardware remote), but not the actual image being recorded.

Has anyone here tried using the remote app on a tablet or phone? While recording 4K, does the AX100 output the actual image to the app like it does to its own LCD screen? If so, does it also show zebras on the tablet/phone's screen if they are enabled on the AX100?
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds