Sony VCL-HG0872 review A++++! at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 12th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony VCL-HG0872 review A++++!

While searching for malware that could convert XAVC files into ProRes, I came across some pictures of Christopher Youngs X70 with a Sony wide converter. (inside joke) I went on eBay, and just missed an auction for one that closed for $36.12, 12 cents more than my bid, so I ordered a $50 BIN VCL-HG0872.

Well, it just arrived, but I am still waiting on multile step up and down rings to attach it to my X70, or so I thought. Chris had a problem using a single 72mm to 62mm step up (or down?) ring, but the one I have had for a year fit perfectly, and is not hanging on by a thread, literally. So how does it perform against my pair of 16x9 Inc EXII converters? Blows them out of the water, no comparison......with one caveat.

For evaluation, I used the focus expand feature, and moved the expand box to the upper right corner at wide angle with the converter attached. While the EXII's were sharp at center, they showed soft/blur and chromatic abberation as red and blue sides to objects. The Sony VCL-HG0872 suffers no such abnormalities, and in fact, appears just as sharp and devoid of CA at the corners and sides as it does at the center using expanded focus zoom to punch in on my 4K UHD image.

The caveat? It is possible to see some vignetting when panning or moving around using SteadyShot in certain ways, and also from optical zoom 3-30 when not using SteadyShot. Active SteadyShot will punch in a bit, so it almost totally eliminates these problems, but if you intend to shoot on a tripod, be aware, you may have some vignetting.

So what good is a wide converter that vignettes? For me, it is 100% useful for night ENG, since I am handheld and using Active SteadyShot in the dark, the issue will never be seen. This old converter can be found in bulk for $50+ on eBay currently, and to me, that is a heck of a deal, and I know a lot of you may love the whole wide converter handheld Active SteadyShot glidecam look, so this $50 converter would be a really fun tool to add to your camera bag.

Thank you Christopher Young for pointing out this jewel, and for helping me choose the correct virus/malware software for my PC! :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony VCL-HG0872 review A++++!

I just replaced my single step up ring with a set of Sensei PRO aluminum 72-77 and 77-62 rings, and I am happy to report the vignetting is practically gone at all focal lengths. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Paul ~

That's why I am using the Canon WD-H72 most of the time as it does not vignette even when you zoom and move around with the steady shot on. Mind you it's a bigger and heavier than any of the Sony VCL adapters. From memory the Sony is 95mm across the front whereas the Canon has wider elements right through it and its front is 109mm. The Canon glass also works on my 18-105mm E-mount servo zoom without vignetting whereas the Sony just wasn't up to it. On both the X70 and the 18-105 I find the Canon WD-72 pin sharp across the whole zoom range and it seems to deliver a crisp image at almost any aperture setting. CA is virtually non existent. Very slight barrel distortion at the wide end but not to any great detriment overall. More than offset by the benefit of the extra width.

Like you one caveat. The rear flange on the Canon extends out the back by about 5mm or so. That was cut back down to 2.6mm and at that is still deep enough to protect the rear element if someone was to bang it down on a table backside first. At 2.6mm it allows all the adapter's threads to engage to full depth on a 77-72mm ring which in turns mates with a 62-77mm ring for the X70. So yes still using the two adapter ring setup. With the modified 2.6mm rear flange the Canon now engages the entire thread depth without adapter rings on the 18-105. With the adapter that lens is now 14.4-84mm. A very useful poor mans Cabrio 19-90, joking of course but great value for the money :))

More info and links on it at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...-thru-x70.html

And yes those bandits are still using my X70 picture on that website:

Convert and Load Sony PXW-X70 XAVC into FCP X

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #4
Trustee

Great tip Paul
I just snagged one for myself at Adorama for $45
Unbelievable price for a $500 lens
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul, got one on Ebay for #33 (?? $50)
I've been using the Fuji WCV-82SC that Chris Young recommended, Looking forward to trying out the Sony
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #6
Trustee

Now that there is a "run" on VCL-HG0872's, the price will double overnight! :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds