DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   SDHC cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/532613-sdhc-cards.html)

Dan Gunn August 30th, 2016 03:02 PM

SDHC cards

Does the Sony 4K X70 benefit from UHS-II Cards. Gotta buy more cards.

Paul Anderegg August 30th, 2016 08:48 PM

Re: SDHC cards

The X70 is NOT UHS-II capable. You would be able to off-load from a UHS-II card faster with the appropriate reader, but the camera will not give a damn, as it doesn't have the second pins, nor do the codecs in it require any speed advantage they would offer.

Paul

Paul Hardy August 31st, 2016 01:18 AM

I'll also add - if you go down the UHS-II route, steer clear of the Lexar 128gb 1000x SDXC U3 UHS-II, I had no end of strange issues with them.

I'm back on Transcend UHS-1's now & they seem fine at 4k 100mbps.

Atticus Lake August 31st, 2016 01:22 AM

What Paul A said.

Remember too that UHS is just a bus standard; it doesn't say anything about how fast the flash memory inside the card is. So, even if the X70 supported UHS II (which, as Paul correctly points out, it doesn't), that's saying you can transfer data into the card at 156 MB/s, which is 1,284 Mb/s. There are two things badly wrong with this picture -- first, the camera isn't creating 1,284 Mb/s; the maximum is 100 Mb/s. Second, there's no SD card out there which can record data that fast; so even if the bus is that fast, the SD card still won't be able to accept data at more than its write rate.

BTW, you mean SDXC cards, not SDHC.

Dan Gunn August 31st, 2016 06:30 AM

Thanks guys! You saved me some $$$.
Re. Lexar cards.....they stink. I had several break and Lexar said I was too rough.....so much for the Lexar warranty. I switched to SanDisk and have had zero problems.

What speed are you guys recommending for 4K?

Dan Gunn August 31st, 2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus Lake (Post 1920214)
What Paul A said.

Remember too that UHS is just a bus standard; it doesn't say anything about how fast the flash memory inside the card is. So, even if the X70 supported UHS II (which, as Paul correctly points out, it doesn't), that's saying you can transfer data into the card at 156 MB/s, which is 1,284 Mb/s. There are two things badly wrong with this picture -- first, the camera isn't creating 1,284 Mb/s; the maximum is 100 Mb/s. Second, there's no SD card out there which can record data that fast; so even if the bus is that fast, the SD card still won't be able to accept data at more than its write rate.

BTW, you mean SDXC cards, not SDHC.

Great explanation!

Mike Griffiths September 1st, 2016 12:34 AM

Just like Paul, I'm using Transcend cards, I've got 64GB cards that give just over 1 hour at 4K100 mb/s. ( and far more at lower resolutions and speeds) Two of them are two years old and never a problem

Paul Anderegg September 4th, 2016 11:56 PM

And be careful with inserting your cards, and also ejectulating them. I have one Lexar 64GB gold card that gets sticky when inserting or ejectulating, due to the decal on the card starting to fray and peel.

Paul

Dan Gunn September 5th, 2016 07:36 AM

The problems I had with Lexar were the little pieces of plastic that divided the contacts would bend or break. I mentioned it on one of the photo forums that I frequent and found that my experience was not uncommon.

As an early adopter of digital, I learned early on to be gentle with my first $600.00 1gb CF card!!!